“Good location but poor value for money”
Review of New Safari Hotel

New Safari Hotel
Ranked #33 of 45 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I stayed here before heading out to the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater with Easy Travel who are conveniently located next to the hotel (superb safari). Rooms were clean and AC was appreciated but bathroom quite grubby. The breakfast was the worst breakfast I've ever had. Location is really good. I feel it was too over priced but also get the feeling the whole of Arusha is!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank turtle22

Reviewed 25 November 2012

We choose this hotel after our safari trip to Serengeti and Ngorogoro Crater and we enjoyed the hotel in every way.
The rooms are spacious, clean and the beds have mosquito nets and are very comfortable. The staff where very friendly from the check in, service personnel to housekeeping also evening turndown service was provided for our room. At lunch we eat tasty pizzas at the restaurant by the hotel entrance and Dinner we choose from the A la Carte menu at the dining room. The table setup was nicely done and the service personnel paid attention to detail. The only think to mention is that this hotel does not serve alcohol but only soft drinks and juices. Anyway I can’t complain. For the value, service and clean rooms it was more than we could ask for and if you like to have a drink, there are bars around the hotel area to enjoy your evening. At breakfast our waiter helped us with the plate and food we picked from the buffet station and ask for our wellbeing throughout our meal. I like to mention that we liked the instrumental Christmas music at breakfast especially during this time of the year where our minds been thinking of our family and friends far away.
Thank you for making this trip such a memorable one. Thanks to ALL the members of staff for the excellent team work.
Mario & Mela

Room Tip: Stayed at room 208
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mario Z
Reviewed 19 August 2012

The hotel is conveniently located in the centre of Arusha, which is the best thing that can be said about it. The inclusive breakfast was a disappointment with the free fruit juices having been watered down to the point of tasting like coloured water - in a region so abundant in cheap, sun-ripened fruits what an amazingly mean piece of profiteering! Similarly, I needed to print out a document from my webmail and while I understood that there was a charge for the printing, I felt is was excessive to charge me several dollars for a minute's worth of time. Worst of all though was the constant, piped Christian religious music at breakfast - there is no mention in the hotel's literature that one will be exposed to proselytising at 7.30am. I found being forced to listen to Jesus songs most annoying, as did the muslim and hindu guests who nodded in agreement when I pointed this out to the reception staff. This is a hotel that needs make a lot of improvements but most importantly needs to decide if it is a church mission or a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Tom h
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Let me start of by saying i didn't even make it to the hotel due to their lack of customer service. I made reservations online over a month ago. I recently emailed the hotel twice to inquire about my reservation. i received absolutely no response. I called twice only to speak to workers who sounded like they were sleeping. After both times call they promised to respond to my email which never occurred.

That initial experience didn't allow me to continue with my reservations.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank worldtraveler193
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night before heading to the safari. Its a clean, friendly and comfortable hotel. Don't expect any wonders here but its reasonably priced and perfect for transit purposes. It has free wi-fi which is an added advantage for many people. The Precision Air shuttle stops right outside the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Saafari
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Was in Arusha on a business trip. Hotel is very centrally located, next to the Precison Air office, and for those coming in by flight into Mt. Kilimanjaro Airport, there is a shuttle operated by Precision Air that brings you to the hotel in Arusha for T Sh. 10,000/- (which would cost T Sh 60,000/- minimum by taxi). Rooms are big, and clean, I had a big bed with mosquito nets.. Breakfast is tasty, but choice is a bit limited. The staff are friendly and helpful. They offer free Wi-Fi, however, the signal strength is poor in the room, and kept dropping the connection; however, they have a nice business centre in the lobby with enough computers, so it is OK. The manager there was very helpful when I could not get my laptop to connect due to some setup conflict, and managed to resolve my problem quickly. Due to the power problems in Tanzania, the lifts do not work sometimes, so had to climb up and down the steps many times. Also, the hotel is located in the Central Business area, which closes down after dark, the malls and nightlife is a bit far, and best reached by taxi (about T Sh.7000/- to 10,000/-).

Room Tip: There is only one smoking room per floor, so if you require a smoking room, make sure you book in ad...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank bat31
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I chose this hotel as I was returning to Arusha for one very important factor - Precision Airlines runs a shuttle service to the airport which is located 3 doors' down from the hotel. However, I was surprised by the hotel itself: large rooms, full bathroom, windows with mosquito nets, decent breakfast with real butter and white/brown bread, charming staff and the manager Hans Makundi, was help personified. I will not discuss the electricity situation as it is a Tanzanian problem that is beyond anyone's individual management. And yes, whilst it is true that the internet was down when I wanted to use it, I managed to survive hours without logging on!! I was on the 3rd floor but my suitcase was carried up for me as the electricity was out when I arrived and from then onwards, even when there was electricity I used the stairs - good exercise! Another great value for money choice.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo