“Dilapidated and poorly run”
Review of Impala Hotel

and 1 more site!
Impala Hotel
Ranked #31 of 42 Hotels in Arusha
Sydney, Australia
“Dilapidated and poorly run”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I spent 4 nights at the Impala, and ended up pretty disappointed. The AC, bathtub and television weren't working in my room; one of the two elevators would not open its doors more than 1 cm, forcing you to go to a different floor and then trying again (this happened about 50% of the time); most of the staff were quite friendly, however reception were terrible, frequently giving wrong information and having no knowledge of nearby street names, restaurants or supermarkets, as well as incorrectly billing me.

Room Tip: Be sure to get one of the newer rooms, as the Impala has had many additions over its history.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Although the Impala Hotel may not be one of the best hotels in Arusha compared to some of the newer developments, it still has a sort of well-loved and respected hotels in the city.
My group turned up dusty and ragged after 3 weeks of roughing it up on the Simanjiro Plains, working at schools and chilling at the Tarangire National Park (which i would also advise if you love elephants!)
The rooms were clean and well-maintained and the food was good and hearty, with most of us having the excellent steaks (having eaten mainly goat or rice or both).
The highlight of our stay, before we left the next day to return home, was the swimming pool! The staff took great delight in laughing at our screeches as we cannon-balled into the UNHEATED pool. We are tourists, so yes we will swim in a cold pool in middle of winter! Gives us some character... :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Covington, Louisiana
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I spent 3 separate days between other activities. This was probably a good hotel back in the days when it was built. The location is very central and easy to get to. This is a fairly large hotels for Tanzania, it has 6 floors, a swimming pool an 2 nice elevators. I paid for a room with A/C. The A/C didnt work, I personally went to reception many times but "there was no repair man". I was finally given a small fan which I had to do some repairs before it started to work. During my next two stays I didnt ever bother about A/C, I just asked for a fan. The restaurant had pizza and what they call Chinese food (fried vegetables, chicken and soup). The pizzas were OK. The breakfast included in the price was very poor: boiled eggs, bananas, mango, water melon hot dogs and bread. I requested a scramble egg which was made with water, milk an one egg(uneatable). At the time of check out, they dont want you to pay with credit cards but cash. So you hand your credit card and they say "sorry machine doesnt work". I witness this with other tourists trying to check out. I had no cash so I waited until "OK is working now"

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Arusha hotels

Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 4 December 2012

When reading the past, not so positive reviews, I was a little worried after I booked the room.
We luckily got the room in the new wing and can't find any reason to complain. The room was large, nice views to Mt Meru, good clean bathroom. The hotel has several restaurants, we had just one dinner and that was ok and reasinably priced. The breakfast was just as good as you can expect from a 3/4 star hotel The staff was very friendly and helpful .

Room Tip: Rooms in the new wing are large and comfortable
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ossi V
London
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Excellent facilities and good location or onward safari or treks to Mt Kilimajaro or Mt Meru.

Close walk into town during the day in 20 minutes. Private shaded gardens and poolside area. The restaurant offers substantial breakfasts and a varied menu.

Staff were helpful and friendly and rooms were cleaned to a high standard. Anderson was an extremely helpful porter who has been at the hotel over 20 years!

Having been fortunate to have travelled widely and extensively I found the friendliness and warmth of all the staff refreshing and my heartfelt thanks for making me feel so welcome and safe!

Room Tip: Request the modern building and higher rooms give wonderful views and are accessible by lifts.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank RebeccaRLV
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2012

We made a stop here with a group of others in our safari tour. Thank goodness it was only for one night. The hotel ( more like motel ) may have been acceptable back when it was built but today it is run down, dirty with rude staff to boot.

All of our group admitted they have stayed in some fairly hairy places throughout their years of travelling - but this was by choice at motels or backpackers at $20-50 per night.

I will be recommending to our tour company NOT to use this hotel in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 15 November 2012

The reason we chose to stay in this hotel is due to the convince of them having a shuttle booking office right at the compound. I would recommend anyone traveling to Nairobi or moshi to stay here. The room were too small though and you hardly get around.

• Stayed October 2012