“Great place & reasonably priced!”
Review of Impala Hotel

Impala Hotel
Ranked #33 of 43 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed 8 February 2013

This hotel was wonderful! They are accommodating and flexible in every way. My first room smelled awful so they quickly moved me to another room. Some of the rooms don't have baths which I really wanted after climbing Kilimanjaro & Meru so they ended up moving me a second time. Great service! They have a friendly staff and are conveniently located to the center of town. Btw...there is a fabulous Ethiopian restaurant a couple doors down. The Impala will store your bags while you are out for however many days on Safari or mountain climbing, with no problem. Internet is sketchy throughout the hotel but, there is one place downstairs that gets pretty good service.The Indian restaurant in the hotel is excellent and the other food outlets are good as well.They have safe, quick Taxi service out front and everyone speaks English. Its not a fancy place but definitely a great value for your money! We stayed there 4 times during our month travel to Tanzania!

Room Tip: Let them know what you want when you check in. ie bathtub, or a specific view
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 February 2013

We had just recently stayed at the Impala Hotel prior to and post hiking of Kilimanjaro. The hotel looks quite beautiful and the rooms are run down. Our first night was a decent room with an air conditioner that worked and made for a wonderful night sleep. The bed was sloped and the mattress a bit lumpy. The other night we stayed was in a room without air conditioning or a fan and was very humid. The bed was in better shape. There was one nightstand which was in poor condition and a lamp but no where to plug it in. There were several options for food in the hotel and breakfast was included in our package. We chose the Indian restaurant and it was some of the best indian food we ever had. The breakfast had many options and was also excellent. There was also a restaurant across the street, AICC club which had Tanzanian food and was excellent. A hotel staff member took us there and we bought him a beer in exchange for his time. The lobby had several areas to sit on comfy couches but worn out. The lobby was decorated with incredible african carvings and there was a pool outside, although we didn't have time to swim.
The staff were friendly and extremely helpful. There was an elevator which was useful for getting our lugguage to the 7th floor but there were sections of the hotel that still had steps to go up to get to the room and the lugguage cart was of no use. Lastly, our room was near the elevator and was very loud throughout the night and we could hear footsteps on our floor and the one above. Wifi was available and best in the lo

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rubymoon1
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I spent 4 nights at the Impala, and ended up pretty disappointed. The AC, bathtub and television weren't working in my room; one of the two elevators would not open its doors more than 1 cm, forcing you to go to a different floor and then trying again (this happened about 50% of the time); most of the staff were quite friendly, however reception were terrible, frequently giving wrong information and having no knowledge of nearby street names, restaurants or supermarkets, as well as incorrectly billing me.

Room Tip: Be sure to get one of the newer rooms, as the Impala has had many additions over its history.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Although the Impala Hotel may not be one of the best hotels in Arusha compared to some of the newer developments, it still has a sort of well-loved and respected hotels in the city.
My group turned up dusty and ragged after 3 weeks of roughing it up on the Simanjiro Plains, working at schools and chilling at the Tarangire National Park (which i would also advise if you love elephants!)
The rooms were clean and well-maintained and the food was good and hearty, with most of us having the excellent steaks (having eaten mainly goat or rice or both).
The highlight of our stay, before we left the next day to return home, was the swimming pool! The staff took great delight in laughing at our screeches as we cannon-balled into the UNHEATED pool. We are tourists, so yes we will swim in a cold pool in middle of winter! Gives us some character... :)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I spent 3 separate days between other activities. This was probably a good hotel back in the days when it was built. The location is very central and easy to get to. This is a fairly large hotels for Tanzania, it has 6 floors, a swimming pool an 2 nice elevators. I paid for a room with A/C. The A/C didnt work, I personally went to reception many times but "there was no repair man". I was finally given a small fan which I had to do some repairs before it started to work. During my next two stays I didnt ever bother about A/C, I just asked for a fan. The restaurant had pizza and what they call Chinese food (fried vegetables, chicken and soup). The pizzas were OK. The breakfast included in the price was very poor: boiled eggs, bananas, mango, water melon hot dogs and bread. I requested a scramble egg which was made with water, milk an one egg(uneatable). At the time of check out, they dont want you to pay with credit cards but cash. So you hand your credit card and they say "sorry machine doesnt work". I witness this with other tourists trying to check out. I had no cash so I waited until "OK is working now"

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2012

When reading the past, not so positive reviews, I was a little worried after I booked the room.
We luckily got the room in the new wing and can't find any reason to complain. The room was large, nice views to Mt Meru, good clean bathroom. The hotel has several restaurants, we had just one dinner and that was ok and reasinably priced. The breakfast was just as good as you can expect from a 3/4 star hotel The staff was very friendly and helpful .

Room Tip: Rooms in the new wing are large and comfortable
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ossi V
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Excellent facilities and good location or onward safari or treks to Mt Kilimajaro or Mt Meru.

Close walk into town during the day in 20 minutes. Private shaded gardens and poolside area. The restaurant offers substantial breakfasts and a varied menu.

Staff were helpful and friendly and rooms were cleaned to a high standard. Anderson was an extremely helpful porter who has been at the hotel over 20 years!

Having been fortunate to have travelled widely and extensively I found the friendliness and warmth of all the staff refreshing and my heartfelt thanks for making me feel so welcome and safe!

Room Tip: Request the modern building and higher rooms give wonderful views and are accessible by lifts.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends