“Beware of bed bugs”
Review of Impala Hotel

Impala Hotel
Ranked #32 of 42 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed at the Impala this past week for one night. It was chosen by the safari company I took a trip with. The room assigned was the ugliest room I have ever been in with what appeared to be home-made, dilapidated, badly painted, poorly functioning, non-matching furniture. The bathroom toilet kept flushing & parts around the tub were falling off. There was no table to place my suitcase on & almost no room on a rickety desk to place my laptop to connect to wifi. The sheet on top of the mattress appeared to have had prior use. When I saw a bug of sorts flying around I checked for bedbugs & sure enough the mattress had a good colony of them. I asked for another room & finally accepted the 3rd choice out of desperation. It also had bedbugs but a smaller colony. In the morning there was no hot shower. Wifi in the room was unpredictable & I eventually gave up, although the Internet Cafe downstairs has good service. The reception desk clerk was an unsmiling unhelpful woman who wanted to charge me $3.00 U.S. to call the Safari Co. who was one hour late picking me up. It turned out the Co. had already called but the message was never passed on to me although I was sitting in front of the Reception. The hotel is dark & going down the stairs can be hazardous. The carpeting in hallways is stained & fringed, and pieces of carpeting are jointed together but do not match. This is the weirdest hotel I have ever stayed in despite some 50 years of travel to 3 different continents. Never again.

Room Tip: I would chose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank gabi131

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Unfortunately, this is typical of hospitality standards, north of South Africa. As soon as an entity is supplying anything close to civilization, you will pay a arm and a leg for below standard hospitality!it is a shame that visitors from across the globe, who brings much needed money into Africa, is being abused!Apart from the above, this hotels staff were not over eager to help us, we asked specifically for rooms with a bath and only after 3 moves did we get one, that is in a working condition. All rooms did not have a safe! Meals also below standard. Sorry poor service, poor hotel, not recommendable!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Martie R
Reviewed 14 July 2014

From the moment we arrived (group of 6 on safari), we felt the staff did not want us here. The woman at reception never smiled once. The layout of the hotel is bizarre, as if some non-architect added parts on willy-nilly. This creates an unpleasant feeling throughout. Hallways are dark and creepy. There was an old, sad-looking taxidermy antelope at the entrance to the restaurant, which made me lose my appetite in an instant!

We had meals included with our stay -- these were served in the Continental Restaurant, which also has an unfriendly, unsmiling staff -- they don't even clear the plates away. They do not make fresh coffee and expected us to drink instant Nescafe. The food is very bland and average, like something in a school cafeteria. After nice buffets in Kenya hotels, this was a total letdown.

My room was large and had a nice view, but it was remarkably ugly inside -- weird furnishings, a clumsy bathroom with no proper shower, and a crazy ROUND bed. It looks like it was furnished at a rummage sale. If this were a $30-a-night hotel I would not complain about these things, but the rates are much higher than that! It's unpleasant in so many ways. It looks like nothing here has been updated in 30 years, and it's all very shabby.

I've stayed in lower-class hotels around Africa before, but usually the staff at least makes an effort to be welcoming. The only reason I'm rating this "Poor" instead of "Terrible" is that it was clean, and I did have hot water in the bath. The wi-fi was free -- although we had to get a complex password, and it stopped working one hour after we got it (even though the login said it was good for 24 hours), and the front desk sent us to the business center to have it fixed, which took some time. The situation was corrected, and the wi-fi worked fine after all that.

I'm sure you can find better accommodation for this price in Arusha. You owe it to yourself to try.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Macloo
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was horrible!! The rooms werent clean I could NOT in good faith stay...I mean even if I was looking for a budget hotel, which it wasnt....for the price and what's actually there?

I wouldn't in good faith advice...

Room Tip: Not very clean
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This hotel is disintegrating! There are rats in the kitchen which, when they run out, the staff acknowledge...but laugh off as though normal (it prob is)...the wifi doesn't work....there was an empty cardboard box floating in the hotel pool for most of the morning. The breakfast is largely inedible. We had a bigger room - that doesn't make it better! - and only stayed here because we were shattered after our kilimanjaro climb and needed a shower and lunch and our taxi driver took us here for a kickback...we didn't have the willpower to fight it but, on reflection, we should have done what we did the next day which was to go to the Bayleaf Inn down the road....for an extra 30USD you live like a king!

Paying 130USD in this dump is simply immoral....the only thing this hotel needs is a bulldozer. It is a sore, a cesspit (that'll be our leaky bathtub that flooded the bathroom!) and a pimple whose only redeeming feature is the Indian restaurant which is excellent but you can come here without being a hotel guest. You know the measure of a place when you complain about the lack of hot water and the rehearsed reply is "wait about 10mins". Which we did...and it worked. Spend your money and time elsewhere if you want more comfort and value. But if you're a massochist, welcome to paradise! There are also many phony reviews (e.g. "I stayed here in 2012" but posted in 2014) so don't fall for them! I seldom post reviews but only ever do so out of enraged conviction...or pleasant surprise...oh, and the spa massages are good - but that's a separate business! TV didn't work...there's probably more...

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Night shift staff at the reception not friendly or welcoming, I was also made to wait more than one hour for dinner and then served with over salted food at their Chinese restaurant and when I complained the answer was simple "we had other guests taking dinner hence got busy" I stayed in room 426..having a phobia of bugs and dudu s ..yes i found some crawling insects in my bathroom ..dont buy their WIFI story as it is set too weak so can never be accessed..Cyber cafe staff at night have a dont care attitude.. Since I was staying alone the overall stay was frustrating and when asked on their cancellation policy as usual they cant refund your money..why set such high standards on cancellation ??? when you can not provide a comfortable stay ...All they want is your money beyond that they dont really care to provide any service...My first stay in Arusha was awful and extremely terrible to a point that i wasnt even feeling safe in the hotel anymore.well for me this hotel had minimum to offer and only created negative memories... Despite all the negativity i still give credit to the Manager Mr.Felix who helped me with a laptop to use on one of the night ...and one of the front office ladies in the day shift who tried her best to make me feel welcome and served, She was indeed the only person in the entire hotel with a smile and the right attitude to handle a client.unfortunately i dont have her name but she surely stands out.

Room Tip: Just dont stay here at all
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Travelled in 2012. We loved it. Very convenient for those travelling by Impala shuttle from/to Nairobi. Nice views especially from top floors. Ideal for families as has a baby pool. Courteous staff, clean but ala carte meals small portions for heavy feeders.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends