“Impala is in Poor Condition and Overpriced”
Review of Impala Hotel

Impala Hotel
Ranked #31 of 42 Hotels in Arusha
Worldwide
“Impala is in Poor Condition and Overpriced”
Reviewed 30 December 2008

We stayed in the Impala in Arusha for five nights while attending a conference. Business booked the hotel so we had no choice. If we go back to Arusha, we will not stay there again.

Rooms were old and run down. TV didn't work. Lamps didn't work. Construction outside the window. They charged us too much when we left.

Breakfast buffet was okay. They had brewed coffee. Staff was helpful. Restaurant in back makes good Indian food. Zero atmosphere at the Impala.

[-]

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank IMAdventures

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
United States
Reviewed 6 December 2008

I flew from Entebbe, Uganda via Dar Es Salaam and Zanzibar. Once I arrived in Kilimanjaro Airport, there are guys (taxi) bandits who try and take you to Moshi. Moshi is where Kilimanjari is located. A nice Tanzanian gentlemen told me about a hotel in Arusha with all the amenities that I would need for five days. I paid a cab driver 50 dollars U.S. and arrived at Impala Hotel within 30 minutes. The staff, facility, dining areas, shops and room accomodations were outstanding, The hotel is very clean has a swimming pool, bar, three restaurants and is located in the heart of Arusha. There is a nice Sushi bar within 5 minutes walking distance. If you walk five additional minutes you will be in downtown Arusha. The hotel offer safari trips to Serengeti, Kilimanjaro and the Ngorogoro Crater. The security at this hotel is great. I have read some of the other reviews and I would like to know if they are serious about what was said. When I return to Kili I will always make it a habit to stay at nothing but the best like
Impala. Even by Western standards the Impala is at least 3 star quality.

• Liked — Elevator and good access for disabled people. Overall, the food at those three restaurants. Make sure you order the giant spring rolls at the Asian Restaraunt. Keep in mind that there are two restaurants located adjacent to eachother plus a splendid bar near the pool. There are nice little shops to buy Tanzanite and other jewelry.
  • Disliked — The attendant who are on duty at night appear rather busy, but if you apply some patience they will attend to your needs. I recommend that you change your currency in the hotel not downtown
  • Stayed November 2007
2 Thank trailblazer64
Vantaa, Finland
Reviewed 26 November 2008

We (=me and my wife) were there as a part of group of 19 persons. We were the unlucky to get an 'old room'.
At 11pm we were not ready to fight for a room on the better side. Room was good enough for sleeping but noisy, no view, no proper shower.
Breakfast was good enough for leave Arusha.

• Liked — Bed was good enough
  • Disliked — Noisy, bad shower
  • Stayed October 2008
1 Thank ettelbruck

Travellers are raving about these Arusha hotels

New York, NY
Reviewed 26 November 2008

Stayed here twice, for one night each time.

The rooms are not very well-ventilated and do not have ceiling fans, so we spent quite a bit of time with the door propped open for air circulation. Otherwise the rooms are fine. Showers were hot with excellent water pressure. Sheets were clean. The TVs worked.

Service from the front desk, porters, waitstaff is all very slow. A billing error on one restaurant check took four people ten minutes to correct.

The Indian restaurant is excellent. The continental breakfast is atrocious.

The internet cafe costs 5x what others do, but has the newest computers and fastest internet of anyplace I've come across in eight weeks of travel in Africa.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank ala737
USA
Reviewed 4 September 2008

I used the cyber at the Impala for roughly five minutes. I then went to the cashier to pay, who informed me that I had to pay 5 USD for an entire hour. (Most places in Arusha charge about a dollar). I agreed to this, paid the $5, and told the cashier I would just go back and continue using the computer for the rest of the hour, and she told me "no," I was not allowed to go back and use the computer, as I had already stood up to pay! This was inexplicable, as there was nobody else in the cyber, so nobody was waiting for a computer. I went to the front desk to enquire, and they told me they didn't know what to say and the manager wasn't there that day anyway. The staff was rude and seemed like they weren't very experienced and didn't care. The place is so overpriced, yet nothing about it comes close to being worth it. Don't go there.

• Stayed August 2008
Switzerland
Reviewed 6 August 2008

The first night we stayed in this hotel we had one of the old shabby rooms with a very uncomfortable bed. So the next time we stayed there, we asked for a nicer room. It was a smaller than the first room, but so much nicer. It was in the part of the hotel, that is only three storeys high. It was very comfy and cozy with a huge nice bed an a very nice bathroom. So if you stay there, ask for the right room.

• Stayed July 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Although the staff were very friendly, our room at the Impala Hotel was pretty dreadful and I'd suggest staying somewhere else if your tour operator can arrange it.

The Impala Hotel looked nice enough when we arrived, but once we got to our room we were disappointed. After 36 hours of travelling, we just wanted a shower, a bed and dinner. Unfortunately, the shower didn't work; water just dripped down the wall and onto the bathroom floor (none of the water made it into the tub). There was a huge hole in the wall where the water had clearly been draining for a long time. There was also mold in the bathroom. It was one of the worst washrooms I've ever seen.

The walls between the rooms were paper thin. We could hear everything going on in the room next to us. We were fortunate to get an end room, so we only had to listen to one set of neighbours. If you know you'll be staying here, bring earplugs-- that should help.

Finally, the TV didn't work--possibly because none of the plug-ins for electricity worked in the room. Not a big deal, since we didn't go to Arusha to watch TV--but don't count on catching up on the news at home.

The one great thing about the Impala Hotel, as indicated in the Lonely Planet, was the Indian food restaurant. And the staff were also very friendly.

It is Africa, so we felt guilty complaining considering how most people live in Arusha. As we walked by other people's rooms we heard showers working--so they're not all broken. Just make sure you check yours as soon as you arrive and ask to be moved to a new room if you need one that works.

• Liked — Indian food restaurant.
  • Disliked — Bathrooms.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple