“Beautiful B&B with lovely owners and staff!”
Review of Blues & Chutney

Blues & Chutney
Ranked #28 of 104 Arusha B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Beautiful B&B with lovely owners and staff!”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed at Blues & Chutney after a 6 day ascent and 1 day descent of Kilimanjaro! We were exhausted and arrived very late but the staff couldn't have been nicer! The room was fantastic and the bed so comfortable!! The next day after a power sleep, we were treated to a delicious breakfast. Their fennel sausages are specially made by their Sicilian/French chef Jerome and are to die for! Jerome is a fantastic guy and a true character! He made our stay at Blues & Chutney. The owner Geoffrey is also a wonderful character who really made us feel welcome. He's also a great musician!
Thanks to Geoffrey and his lovely wife and Jerome and all the staff for a fantastic stay. We will not forget you!

• Stayed June 2014

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed at Blues and Chutney last month. Booking was easy and they gave me a good room rate (Arusha hotels are pretty expensive). My single room was rustic - somewhat pared back without too many frills -but the decor and ambiance works pretty well. The restaurant is nicely set out and there is a small garden out front. The food was great - breakfasts and dinners. I believe the place was originally know for its restaurant. Friendly service too and a pretty good location just on the outskirts of Arusha. My only complaint was the shower and hot water. When it worked, it took 15 minutes for the hot water to come through. They need to invest a little in new plumbing and a new boiler perhaps. No TV at the hotel by the way, although this is probably because of the ambiance they're trying to create.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dunbar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed here while on business, and found it a lovely oasis in Arusha. The rooms were very comfortable, the breakfasts were very tasty; we ate a few times for meals and enjoyed them very much. The staff were very helpful as well. The hotel is well situated for getting around Arusha, but situated in a quiet street so feels relaxing. Wifi a bit slow but good enough to get work done. The rates were reasonable and competitive for similar accommodation. All in all would thoroughly recommend blues & chutney.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Many thanks for your great review of our property and team ! We look forward to having you visit again !
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I had a three night stay in Room #4 which was a twin bed room with private shower and toilet. The room had a large private balcony that was enjoyable to sit out on. The layout of the room doesn't lend itself to having two beds as it was difficult to walk to the bathroom; you had to literally squeeze through a gap between the end of one of the beds and the built in closet shelving. Also, the shower leaked onto the bathroom floor absolutely soaking it. This happened twice despite moving the shower head to different sides and making sure the shower curtain was closed. The problem is the curtain doesn't reach down to the floor.The toilet tank also filled slowly and noisily. The room is also over the kitchen, so it can be noisy with the staff talking and working below. For the cost of the room, I was disappointed there wasn't a water kettle to make my own coffee/tea as I had at similar hotels I've stayed at in Tz. Very short rod to hang clothes on and no safe in room to lock up valuables. Also, Arusha can be chilly at night and there were no extra duvets or bedding in the room. Restaurant was fine, but the menu was limited. B&C is located about a 5-7 minute drive from the main road. Walking up to the main road is easy, too, so there are options to eat away from the hotel. I believe that that the hotel manager/owner was on the premises several times during my stay, but never took the time to speak or welcome me when I was seated in the dining area having breakfast/lunch. There are only 6 rooms, so it wasn't as if I was lost in a crowd of other guests. The staff were good and spoke English well. Arusha accommodations can be expensive, especially during the high season, but I felt that the room was over priced a good $30-50. I live in an area in the States that has similar b&bs, so I wasn't bowled over by the decor, but within a Tz context, it was an interesting change. There were fresh flowers (roses) in the table vases and my room, but I don't know if they came from the hotel garden as I didn't walk around the property.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kitakatz
Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for your candid review of your stay at Blues & Chutney in Arusha recently. Thank you for staying with us !
We would really like to make Blues & Chutney a comfy and friendly place to stay and the team is working hard on making this happen. We have noted all your suggestions and have brought about improvements immediately. Due to the 'small Inn character 'we wish to retain , the furnishings are odd and quirky and not uniform. We realize that this is not exactly great for the traveler . We have now moved different beds into the room you occupied, changed the shower curtain, added more hangers and a clothes stand and
feel that the room is lovely and more practical . We are sorry that we were not able to greet you personally but had hoped that our Hostess was as charming and helpful as always.
Thank you so much for making it possible for us to improve. With best regards and we do hope to greet you at Blues & Chutney again .
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed overnight on a business trip and was wonderfully welcomed at the Blues & Chutney, The B& B is family owned and run with a French Chef, delivering a wide choice of excellent food, cakes and drinks. Everything is freshly prepared from locally sourced produce, resulting in the best you will find in Arusha! The décor is very eccentric and funky, with lots of local art turned into functional décor, brilliant!!! Very quiet and relaxing atmosphere making it ideal for business people to get some work done, as well as very close to all the amenities. A definite must for all visitors to Arusha.

Room Tip: Like with everything in the B&B, every room décor is different, and it does not matter which one...