“so so....”

Ocean Breeze Resort
Ranked #48 of 70 Hotels in Khao Lak
Reviewed 11 May 2012

2nd week of our trip to Thailand we decided to stay in the Ocean Breeze resort and well its alright. But just alright. Nothing to rave about to be honest and at 4000 Baht per night (nearly £90) for a standard you could do a lot better for your cash. But due to availability (or lack of) in other resorts we chose Ocean Breeze.
Location wise its perfect, just on the beach but then again most places in Khao Lak are on the beach.
Staff wise - this is where this resort fails. The staff seem to be unmotivated and not really connected with the job at hand. Requests met with a not so happy face and a dragging of the feet. Might be a management issue I don’t know but something should change here because it brings the resort down.
Breakfast was ok though fruitflies all over the place doesnt make for appetizing food.... generally an uninspiring breakfast. Also people smoking in the open air restaurant made it even less appealing since we had our 7 month baby with us.
We learned that this place is only 2 years since refurbishment (or opening maybe) and whilst the rooms are fine the resort is already beginning to look tired so a spruce up is in order.
If you like to hang out with Germans then this is the place for you. Mainly a German orientated resort and I think the manager is German also. There was also an unhelpful German guy sitting behind the dive/tour desk all day every day who was of no help at all when we asked about dive tours. In fact, he made me not want to book with him as his short, uninformative, didnt care attitude put me off. So we went elsewhere and gave our money to someone else. Just as we will do next time we come to Khao Lak with regards to accommodation.
We would give this place a 4.5 out of 10 and are unlikely to return to this resort unless I hear that they have changed mangement and actually motivated their staff.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank TanzanianTam

Reviewed 30 March 2012

I happened upon this hotel by chance. I turned right instead of left. Saw at billowing curtains and nice foliage and had to stop and ask. What an amazing place!! The entrance is small, yet well appointed. The two Thai girls at the front were genuine, professional and helpful. After seeing three rooms, my girlfriend and I chose a bungalow. I requested non-smoking (because some idiots actually still smoke these days) and a queen sized bed. Around 4,000 baht including a breakfast. We were escorted down the path toward the beach by petite, friendly Thai girl who chatted with us politely. A 550 sf bungalow left, festooned with flowers awaited us. Comfortable bed with fresh-smelling pillows. (Note: if the pillows look soiled or smell bad then leave I immediately!).The room was perfectly clean. An impressive shower area. Loved the way the sink, floor and shower were coordinated. The beach is lovely. Safe for children. The breakfast was incredible!. A comparable breakfast would have cost at least 600 baht for the two of us. My favourite was the pineapple pancakes. Coffee was good, but not strong enough. No espresso (ouch!)..The omelet was perfectly prepared and arrived steaming hot. Overall, I'd give this a solid 9.5. If they had a lifeguard on the beach, had a non-smoking area on the beach and CBC so that I could watch a hockey game then I would have given this place a 10. I recommend this place to everyone and I will come back with friends again soon. Note: I have extensively and stayed in all kinds of hotels and resorts in North America, Europe, The Middle East, The Caribbean, Hawaii, Asia .. and this place is now one of my favourites. Cheers, Stan from Vancouver Canada

Room Tip: Get the bungalow near the beach. Only $50 more a night.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank stan i
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I live 9 years in Thailand. Me and my Thai wife have visited tens resorts and hotels. This resort is absolutely the worst. Drunk German seniors sitting at terrace drinking the cheapest beer from local shops every evening screaming until 3 a.m. After our complaints the manager Cony wanted to get us out of resort. He screamed: „go to Bandara hotel it is quite silent place“. After discussion the reception staff said to us that he is just a local trip seller pretending to be owner, sometimes manager of the resort. To send solvent clients to competition is strange at least. This self-made manager is not liked by either reception or other resort staff. The only person who stayed by him was wife of the owner of the resort. What a pity! The resort has a good position, Thai staff is friendly. I strongly believe that if there would be well-being place, clients would use the restaurant and wouldn’t come just for breakfast. I don’t understand how the owner of resort could allow such a devaluation of his investment and reputation. I wish to this resort to eliminate all its problems soon and followed the course of thousands hotels and resorts in Thailand where the friendship, well-being, rest and tranquillity is a natural thing.
Miroslav K.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Miroslav K
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The first greeting is from a uninterested staff and unfortunately this continues throughout our stay for 8 nights. Some of them are rude, some just not interested, as they don't care at all about the customers.
Our bungalow was ok, quite big but the outdoor bathroom brings unwanted guests as mosquitos....Fresh water every day, change of linen every 3-4 day.
Breakfast is good to be in Thailand. nice coffe and german bread. But be aware that they keep yoghurt and cheese/ham outdoors and not in the fridge! Staff in the restaurants is the worst kind, don't eat any other food than breakfast here! High risk for food poisining and slow service!
There is a baby pool, quite deep so nothing for the small children (70cm)

The best thing with the hotel and location is the big trees close to the beach that brings you nice shadow in the morning. Be aware about rocks in the sea, could be difficult to see sometimes.

Overall its a ok and very calm hotel BUT the staff will never bring a smile and never heard about customer service and unfortunately this makes it impossible to truly recommend the place.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Had a beach front room with all the amenities and my favourite was the outside shower. Friendly and efficient front of house. The beach massage was enjoyable and professional. You had to book your beach bed early as there were limited numbers available and was quickly snapped up. My only disappointment was the breakfast and service-rank amateur and sloppy-pity. Apart from that a quiet, efficient and friendly hotel to enjoy

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Ocean Breeze staff is wonderful, from their exuberant new chef Felix to the ever-smiling Dar up front, but the owner creeped us out with his attempts to "deal" with all the tips. Rooms are clean and spacious, the outdoor shower a nice touch (except mozzies), and the resort is right on the beach, unlike most. Lots to do around town, but booking with Guest Services Cony was not ideal. We had to research outside (don't do the elephant trek in town, go to Khao Sok), but even then had surprises - cooking school in German...

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Gibtrotter
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights and loved it. The hotel staff welcomed us with cold drinks and towels and couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. The rooms were spotlessly clean and all close to the beach. The beach itself is very quiet and the sea is rougher than at other beaches we visited in Thailand so there is no possibility of snorkelling. The hotel pool is clean and although on the small side it is very deep so stays cool. We didn't eat at the hotel as it was more expensive than other restaurants on the main road (5 min walk away). If you are looking to get away from it all and peace and tranquility then this is a great place. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family