“Nang Thong Beach: Centara Seaview Resort Khao Lak”

Centara Seaview Resort Khao Lak
Ranked #28 of 69 Hotels in Khao Lak
Singapore, Singapore
“Nang Thong Beach: Centara Seaview Resort Khao Lak”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

After reading mixed reviews on this place, I decided to still take a bet on it. Reason is, my previous stay at Centara Kata Resort was great! My wife and little girl loved it.

I booked a deluxe villa for 4 nights. First for the not so good stuff. The deluxe villa's air conditioning was not on when we arrived, therefore the room was stuffy :(. Not a good sign. When we turn on the air-conditioning, it was noisy, like a small generator and no cool air came out. I gave it some time as I thought it takes a while to get started, but I was wrong. After 30 minutes, it was still hot. Called the counter and requested to change the room.

They offered to upgrade our room to a sea view villa. After some haggling on the price, we agreed and I took the upgrade. The sea view villa comes with a little pool and jacuzzi :). The air-conditioning was working, but not the quietest. The jacuzzi "On" button was broken and had to be turn on at the mains :(.

There are a bit too many mosquitoes for my liking. I know, I know, there are mosquitoes everywhere, but I think its a tad too many of them blood suckers at this place.

My daughter went to the kids club, and was bored! I could see that the facilitators tried to play or bond with my girl and the other kids there, but it was just not happening. I'm guessing maybe they are not experience enough with kids ... ?

Now for the good stuff. The place is huge! Their land is a big one. The villas are nicely spaced out, therefore privacy is good. The resort sits on the beach, access to the beach is almost immediate. Just in front of the beach is a light house. Quite cool man, love it.

They have 2 pools. One of them have a water slide which was fun enough even for an adult. Me and my little girl kept going at it. The pool with the water slide is huge. The landscape around the resort is nice, makes me feel as if I'm in some elephant sanctuary. Love all the elephants around the place.

The back of the resort is link to the main road. So, its a easy 5 to 10 minutes walk out. Very convenient if you wanna try the local food or walk around. Free wifi is provided everywhere in the resort. They have a sports bar which have a couple of Internet surfing PCs. No charge to use them, perfect.

I think I must have called the front counter at least 5 times. The staff were super patient with me and my requests. It is worth to mention a few names like Chak, Jira and Tik. They are always smiling and friendly. They treated me more as a friend than a customer and that is nice. They have the distinct Centara hospitality that makes you want to go back. They made our stay very pleasant and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank ob1knobe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Recently travelled to Khao Lak and booked Centara Seaview Resort.
I was upgraded to a Pool Villa, staff were very attentive, and food was great in restaurant. Highly recommend this for a stay ! It is definitely worth the 1 hour drive from Phuket !

Room Tip: There's a lot to do locally, even low season, my pool villa was right on the beach !
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MBemand
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I am not usually one to leave feedback, thinking travelling is such a unique experience, the highs and the lows but on this occasion I feel compelled to do so.
We booked a family room- the inside was good but it seemed part of a newly acquired real estate which was part of a construction zone quite a way from the main resort and some distance from beach, main restaurant and main pools. Definitely did not feel part of the resort. The family rooms actually are part of the 'plaza' which fronts the main road and has many bars/restaurant, including a karaoke bar which operated most nights . We enquired and were told we could have a 'lesser room' but no refund could be made, despite the resort being near empty.
The kids club- the kids club looked ok and they advertised many activities. When we picked the kids up they said they did not do any activities. I asked the staff why not and eventually got the response, 'low season'. It was very hard to find someone who spoke English. On any given day no one could tell us which activities were going ahead and which ones were not. On one occasion our daughter wasn't there and no one could tell us where she was- we found her back outside our room.
Service- apart from the guys out the front driving people around and the manager at reception the staff were very lazy/disinterested. No one at breakfast would pour a coffee, or collect our plates, but seemed to just walk around talking to one another. It took 3 days to get a light globe replaced for our balcony which would allow us to have some drinks/read a book outside while trying to get our kids to sleep.

This is definitely not a 4 star resort, with a lot of things not up to scratch. My wife and I used to joke about how they could make a comedy show about the hotel (faulty towers?). We most definitely will not be back and most likely will not stay at a Centara hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Gasman72
Wayne D, General Manager at Centara Seaview Resort Khao Lak, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Gasman72,
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. It is through these comments we can review our operation and make changes / improvements where we have fallen short.
From the information given you were staying in our Family Residence which, as you pointed out is located close to the main road with easy access to shopping, restaurants and local attractions. For the benefit of our readers I would also like to add the residence are unique, ideally suited for families with two bathrooms, bunk beds for the kids, small kitchen and a large living room, not to mention the location also has its own private swimming pool and private kids play area. This unfortunately may not have been clearly explained when you discussed possible options to move? They are not new but have been part of the hotel for some years now so I am not sure what construction you were referring to.
The property is large and encompasses many facilities including 3 very large swimming pools, tennis courts, squash, mini football pitch etc etc which I have listed in a previous reply, this does mean we do cover a large space but, at the same time this lends itself to privacy and quiet and you can feel as if you are the only guest when in fact the hotel can be quite busy.
I thank you for your comments on our kids club, we do usually pride ourselves on the facilities and activities we offer to our younger guests so was very surprised and sorry to read this was not your children’s experience. This certainly is not the service level we offer and action has been taken accordingly to ensure this does not happen again.
I was also sorry to read the staff appeared lazy and disinterested and have addressed this with both the Front Office Manager and the Food and Beverage Manager – this is always the danger when going into low season that staff tend to relax a little and something we as management need to be on top of.
Thank you once again for your comments much appreciated.

Kind regards

Wayne
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Pool amazing (kids- age 3,5,7) loved waterslide) but kids club terrible- every time I had to hunt for a staff member to come down to look after kids, & twice I returned to find the kids alone, with no staff member in sight- very disappointing. Unfortunately my kids loved the big tv & bean bags so kept wanting to go back, but we were not confident to leave them so had to stay near the kids club to check on them. Our room also had huge gaps around door upstairs which let mosquitos in so kids got really badly bitten (which they patched with sticky tape- totally ineffective). The pool was fantastic though, and most staff were friendly. Unsure if we would stay in future as a reliable kids club is essential for us

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JenHar2014
Dear JenHar2014

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor, we do appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback both positive and negative.

I was pleased to read how much you and your family did enjoy the pools and the water slide and that the staff, for the most part were friendly, I will be pleased to pass this on to the team.

I was though disappointed to read the difficulties you experienced with the kids club. This certainly is not the level of service we strive to and normally do achieve, I have addressed this with the new team that now is on board to ensure it does not happen again.

Thank you also for your comments on the room door I will check this with Housekeeping and Engineering to fix the problem rather than patch it.

Kind regards and thank you again for your comments

Wayne
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have been thinking alot about this review, its hard to complain when you have only paid $80N, this resort has lots of potential, some things just missed the mark. We have travelled alot in thailand and must admit that this is probably the only resort we have ever checked into where there was no welcome drink or cool towel, this is a small thing but when you have travelled a long way your room is not ready and you have a small boy 3yrs asleep in your lap and in your in 44 degree heat with no fan or aircon a drink would be nice. Instead we were directed to the mini mart! I did ask for an early checkin which we were given but meant that instead of a ground flr room were were given a room on the 3rd flr in a resort with no lifts, so 3 weeks of 3 flights of stairs every day was good exersice! The resort is huge, this is our first time in khoa lak. And we were not one of these people who write glowing reviews because they got an upagrade! Perhaps i need to be less freibdly when i check in. How do you do that!

The positives: lots of facilities, 5 swimming pools, on the beach, excellent gym with big proper treadmills and TV's, pool tables, table tennis, big playroom for bigs kids and little. With playstations and wii games and for the little ones lots of toys and activities (not that i ever left our little on alone). Not far from main street and lots if golf buggies to travel you around if you cant make it walking. Loads of sun lounges and towel. And a couple of restaurants. Free wifi. They have a movie night on a sunday fir the kids with bean bags and free popcorn that was lots of fun. Our room was ok really large which was good but nothing amazing

Cons: it was sooooo hot (can remember thailand being this hot at this time of year before) breakfast room has aircon on at full titlt but all the doors are open so its boiling. The sports bar is the same all the doors are open so the aircon doesnt work and its too hot ( other than the barman not wanting ti change the TV to the aussies channel because he didn't want to miss the soccer). The food in the resort is just average no better or worse than other resorts i have stayed in. I do agree that thailand itself is catering less and less to aussies, and we hardly saw any whilst we were there. The beach is lovely and they do make an effort to pick up rubbish and leaves from the beach, all the sun loungers are contained behind a little wall and the sand is full of cigarette butts and rubbish. Its a bit grosse and didnt entice me to sit here at all. The maid for our room kept leaving our balcony door open and our little boy kept getting eaten by mozzies. Also this green sheet change thing, finally after a week of trying to get our sheets made with ll new sheets (i know the doona cover was nit changed as the same hole kepts showing up every second day) i finally stripped the beds in the morning to get new sheets. spa was nice expensive as usual but the treatments were a little under. I paid 50$ for a facial and got a scrub and some moisturiser!

None of these things spoilt our time they just didnt enhance it. Would i stay here again. Probably not.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank KellieMelbourne
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I got the ocean front facing room, mind you it does not mean sea view or ocean view , it's only the building facing the ocean but you can't see anything . I don't like how that play on words fool people, I think they should make it clear and precise of the room names . So that was disappointing . The hotel was large and they had big pools which was nice . The hotel also had a very nice beach. I only stayed for one night so I could not indulge in everything but the rooms are very basic , old and Thai style but not attractive , it was clean though. The staff was not great , I saw a couple walk up to the reception requesting if they could see the room first , the receptionist goes "ummm please wait a moment sir" sounding awfully unsure . She made them wait for ages , at least 30 minutes before they decide to leave . No welcome drink or cold towel for them too. Not very professional if you ask me.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Tonyzaman
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We visited this wonderful resort in February and March, this was our second visit we had a wonderful time in November so much so we could not wait to return and it did not disappoint us we enjoyed every minute of our holiday, we had a beautiful villa with a sea view and a private pool we could not wait to get up to see the sunrise and we were there at the end of the day to see it set. All the staff were friendly and caring if we were happy they were too. The Spa was the highlight of the holiday I went many times and it was always wonderful Amy, Ream and Ao made every visit a joy, when we left I did not have a pain in my body. The pools are great and the beach is truly beautiful. Breakfasts were extremely good , I loved the smoothie bar and the fresh fruit, the egg station, and the bakery, again the staff worked very hard to make everything perfect.
The hotel has themed buffet nights and it is set by the beach at high tide it makes a fantastic setting they have a Thai dancers night with Thai Food, a Cabaret with Italian Food and a Fire Dancers night with a very extensive BBQ very good value for money. One review complained that there were no sunbeds on the beach you will notice no other hotel does as this is not allowed by Thai law, but people can sunbathe on towels as much as they like. The management is always on hand for a friendly chat or to solve any of your problems,housekeeping was very promt to put right any problem we had do not be slow to ask for anything to be put right we love this resort and Khao Lak and cannot wait to return in October. They also have a very good gym and you can hire
a personal trainer or join classes for yoga, aerobics etc. We feel you would be very happy here
and of course the weather was fantastic. You can also visit many nearby beaches our favourite
was White Sands Beach it is about 30mins away by taxi.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple