“TDS and Sam are the Best in Khao Lak”

Thailand Dive and Sail
More attraction details
Owner description: THAILAND DIVE & SAIL was established in 2007 by a group of diving fanatics with over ten years of experience working in various locations in the Andaman Sea – from the Similans in Thailand, to the Mergui Archipeligo in Burma, to the Andaman Islands. We have created a new, concise and user-friendly site, containing the current information we, as professionals, hope is most useful in planning your visit to this area. We provide divers, sailors, snorkellers and visitors with up-to-date trip news and offers, authentic dive-site maps, precise environmental conditions at a glance and a source of complete, relevant information regarding the Andaman Sea area.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 21 January 2015

We went to Thailand for our honey moon and got to Khao Lak specifically to dive at the Richelieu Rock.

I got in touch with TD&S through a Brazilian friend's advice. Everything went better than planned. Sam, their manager, is always behind her computer and replies almost instantly every single request. And she can give you quite good advices about Khao Lak, including where to dine, drink and have fun. So, communication is not a problem.

Sam arranged my trip to The Richelieu Rock with the Wetcat. Absolutely nice people, with great English, very nice tips. TDS's equipment were brand-new (I am XXL and had no problem whatsoever even with the BC), including the dive computer, which was very useful on the dive. Food onboard was good too, vegetarian and drinks were freezen cold, perfect.

Even a bit away (50m) from Khao Lak's main street it worth going there. Be sure you will find great service and really concerned people at TDS.

And, as said by every dive master at the boat: "everybody loves Sam".

Oh, a bit of a nice story: I ended up losing my wedding ring (yep, stupid man) at the trip to Richelieu Rock, so I reported that to Sam. She posted this at TDS's fanpage in Facebook. Believe it or not, after a month, a very nice guy from Switzerland saw her post and sent me a message saying that he had found my ring at the top of a pinnacle at the richelieu rock!!! So, a man from Brazil, loses his wedding ring in Thailand, an English girl posts this on FB and a Swiss guy finds it. How cool is that?

2  Thank Montalli
"gear"
in 3 reviews
"company"

Reviewed 15 January 2015

TDS helped set me up with a 4 day Live Aboard Scuba Dive package on the MW Pawara. Some people might think its better to deal with the boat operators directly (west coast divers), but I felt like I got a better experience than most of the other divers.
Here are my reasons:
1. My dive group consisted of the dive master and two other divers. (4 total). The rest of the boat was paired into groups of 6 or more.
2. My dive master provided us with ear solution and "herb breathing" solution to help us with each dive.
3. At night, our group would hang out and have a beer together. I found that WCD dive masters didn't interact with their dive groups as much.
4. At the end of the live aboard, my dive master took care of all my gear. I didn't need to worry about cleaning or storing it.

Overall- I think TDS helped make this live aboard experience top notch. If I had booked directly with WCD, I would have probably ranked my overall experience at a 3 or 4 instead of a 5.

Reviewed 12 January 2015

As part of a bigger trip I wanted revisit the Similan Islands and the Mergui Archipelago. When I started researching this it quickly became quite confusing with the vast number of boats available. Luckily one of the companies I had contacted was Thailand Dive and Sail. From the start they came across as a very professional and knowledgeable setup.

After a couple of emails back and forward answering Sam's questions about my requirements she had put together a couple of options that met my requirements for itinerary, cost and quality.
For the Similans element of the trip I chose Sam's top recommendation the MV Giamani. I'm so glad I did. This is an absolutely great little boat, with a maximum of 10 passengers in 5 cabins. Giamani is a purpose built steel boat (great for those days when the sea is a little choppy) kept in the highest order. Ricardo who heads up the team is rightly proud of this great little boat. From the cabins to the food everything was 5 star. I've been on many liveaboards over the years and I have to say that this is most probably the best boat I've been on.

The Similans and Richelieu were as good as I remembered them from years ago and Ricardo ensured that he scheduled our dives so that it never felt crowded. It was a great 4 days. This boat is based out of Chalong rather than Khao Lak so if you're staying in Phuket its certainly more convenient.

Sam's next gave me recommendations for my Mergui Archipelago liveaboard, unfortunately the dates didn't work for my first choice so I went with my second choice the Thailand Aggressor. I wasn't too sure about this boat, but as luck would have it Clive; one of Dive & Sails principles is the cruise director for this boat. The boat itself is one of the biggest I've been on, overall I thought it was a good boat, the cabins were particularly nice with a light finish and good bathrooms. The only thing I thought was poor was the food, it was rather bland international fare with no real choice.

The diving was as good as I remebered from my last trip. Clive is a very knowledgeable guide who is a real Burma expert and the Manta Rays obliged on two occasions to cap some wonderful diving.

One point to note that made this trip for me was the customer service I received from Thailand Dive and Sail. I had forgotten to let Aggressor know I was diving with a DIN first stage and unfortunately they had no DIN tanks available. As soon as Ric from Thailand Dive and Sail was made aware he drove into Khao Lak picked up a DIN tank and lent it to me for the trip.

All in all I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Thailand Dive and Sale team, they most definitely ensured that my trip was everything that I wanted it to be.

Reviewed 24 December 2014 via mobile

Very disappointed with this outfit. We had a snorkel trip booked and they called us the day before after multiple communications that we would pay as soon as we met our destination with wi-fi (and received the PayPal request for payment) and they didn't hold our our spot. They were apologetic, however, made no attempt to try to find us an alternative outfitter which I was was able to find on my own the next morning.

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 December 2014

TDS is exactly what I expected. Friendly, fun people and great service. I did my open water course with Ric and Charley on a 2D1N liveaboard with 6 dives.They are excellent instructors! They offered lots of advice through out the whole trip and not only taught me how to dive, they taught me how to be a good diver and awareness about shark and marine life conservation. Did you know that 70 million sharks are being killed for shark fin soup every year? I didn't.

Sam was very helpful and efficient! She helped me to contact a tour agent in Krabi for my next trip and answered my emails about the trip (like a gazillion of them) promptly with lots of helpful advice. It was really a wonderful trip and will certainly be using them again in future.