The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani
US$38
US$60
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Srichada Hotel Khaolak(Khao Lak)(Great Value!)
US$32
US$19
US$104
JW Marriott
Ocean Breeze Resort(Khao Lak)(Great Value!)
US$41
US$81
US$68
Agoda.com
2,296 results
All reviewsfloating marketpeace pooltalay restaurantseaside junior suitekids poolcoconut barkids clubfamily roomfloating restaurantthe main roadhappy hourseparate poolthree barsgames roomswim up barpeter barpool access suite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed at the Sands with my mother and my two kids (3years and 6months) for six nights. We really enjoyed our stay.

The resort is huge and have nice green areas.

We booked a family room and were very pleased with it. The room was very soundproof. We did not hear any disturbing sounds such as knocking/slamming doors or talking in the corridors. But some eavnings we heard music from the entertainment of the restaurant since our balcony headed towards the restaurant. But they stopped playing at 11pm.

The cleaning was perfect!
The staff was very service minded and friendly.

The resort has two pool areas. One for kids (joy pool) and one for adults which I think was really good.

The food was good. A little bit more expencive than other restaurants outside the hotel but what else can you expect? If you want to eat elsewhere you have several options just 5 minutes walk (to the right) on the beach. However, with two small kids and one baby stroller it took us 15 minutes to walk.

The hotel is not a luxury hotel, more like a four star hotel. But I can really recomend this place if you look for a nice hotel in Khao Lak.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Anna_Jonssons
Katathani1, Manager at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you had a relaxing stay with us and hope to see you again in the near future.

If I could be of your assistance for further inquiries or future visit, please feel free to contact myself at your convenience.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stayed at The Sands from 4 to 19 february 2014, in a pool access junior suite. I had room 3131, which is close to the lobby, but it gets only sun from 13:00 onwards, in the morning the room lies in the shade.

ROOM: the room is pretty basic, a bit sterile looking. Some decoration in the room (i.e. on the walls) would be nice. Also, the finishing of the room is not really good, it looks like they had to finish it in a hurry. For example, the hotels (and so, the rooms) are only 1.5 years old, but in the room there was already quite a lot wear and tear of the furnishing, there was damage to the floor (proably due to expanding due to wetness) etc etc. Overall, the rooms were OK, but nothing special. The swim-up pool and plunge pool was superb, however.

BED: the bed was hard as a rock. Really, I like my beds a bit harder than average, but this was a bit too much for me. Sleeping on the floor would be more comfortable, I would think... the size of the bed and the pillows etc were very good. But it had to separate matresses instead of one king-size mattress.

LOCATION: the location of the hotel is great, only a few minutes walk from the center of Bang La On with all its shops, restaurants etc. Even if you didn't want to walk, you could order a taxi or songthaew without any problem (i.e. to go to Bang Niang)

FOOD: I had breakfast everyday in the Floating Market. Breakfast was very good, a lot of choices (toast, pancakes, various rice-products, sausages etc) and juices. Also, the omelette-station was quite good. I had only a few lunches and dinners, mostly at the Floating Market. These varied from OK to good. However, I would advice to go into town for lunch or dinner. At least as good, and a lot cheaper. But overall, no problems with the food. I didn't try the Talay because I don't like seafood, so can not comment on that one.

GROUNDS: the grounds are beautiful, and well kept, but at the moment the greenery is a bit scarce, due to the hotel being relatively new. In a few years it should look even better and provide more share.

CLEANLINESS: the whole ground, and the rooms, are kept spotless clean. Everyday there are people tending to the plants, watering it etc. Very good.

SERVICE: the service was perfect from everyone. On my first day I had some trouble with lost luggage (airlines fault, not the hotels) and problems with my creditcard (again, not the hotels fault), and they helped me perfectly to solve this. I also booked some tours with the tourdesk in the lobby, because the prices were competitively with the tour-agencies in town. This went perfectly. But regardless of the good overall service, I have two (small) complaints which needs adressing in my opinion. First, some of the staff barely speak any English, which makes communicating quite different, maybe the should hire a English teacher?. Secondly, the room-maids sometimes didn't come before 15:00 which is quite late. It would be better in my opinion to come in the morning.

POOL: I only used the Peace-pool. The pool itself is lovely, and the poolbar in itself is superb. However, if there is a rule that children are not allowed in the Peace-pool, the management should enforce this rule. There were lots of (often screaming and rampaging) kids in the Peace-pool, which didn't make it very relaxing... luckily I could fall back on my own pool adjacent to my room ;-)

BEACH: the beach itself is very nice. A few rocks, but they are clearly marked, so easy to avoid. However, the fact that most of the beach beds (especially on front row) are already claimed at 06:30 (!) in the morning is a bit of a shame. The management claims reserving chairs is not allowed and any bed which is unoccupied for more than an hour is cleared for use by other guests, but in two weeks time I never saw this happen. So, it's nice to have this rule, but it should be enforced! This also applies to the Peace-pool beds by the way.

Room Tip: If you choose a pool access room and want sun the whole day, avoid rooms 3129 to 3133. They only start receiving sun from 13:00 onwards. If you like shade, these rooms are OK.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank jurgenjw

Dear Sir,

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you had an overall relaxing stay with us.

With regards to your remarks which concerning to our hotel products, facilities and quality of services, please be assured that it has been noted by management and will be taken into consideration for future improvements. Thank you very much for bringing up this points to our attention and we very much hope to see you again in the near future.

If I could be of your assistance for further inquiries or next visit, please feel free to contact myself at your convenience.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed at the Sands Hotel for 2 weeks at the end of January and enjoyed every minute of our stay. We were on an all inclusive basis, so ate most of our meals in the hotel. The Talay restaurant was very good and the staff were amazing. After the first few days they knew us and what drinks we would like with our meal.

Our room was very clean, spacious, modern and well designed. The hotel is still looking fairly new and the garden and trees need to develop more and that will give more shade, but that will take time for the trees to grow. The room was thoroughly cleaned everyday.

The staff were all brilliant, but our best memories are spent at the Talay Restaurant with the amazing staff that served there. Even the chefs and their staff would greet us from the kitchen when we arrived. The food in both restaurants was very good, but at the Talay you can enjoy a meal and look out over the beach, which was wonderful.

It was my husband's birthday on our last full day and the staff at the Talay put balloons on our chairs, gave him a birthday cake and helped to make his birthday very special.

We did not have a problem getting sun loungers under a sunshade, but I noticed at the end of our holiday the hotel was full and the staff brought out even more loungers. It seemed that you only had to ask and the staff would do all they could to help. Some reviewers have complained about the bed being a bit hard, I found that and mentioned it at reception and within 2 hours a soft topper was placed on the bed and it was very comfortable after that. Again you only have to ask and the staff will help and that cannot be said for a lot of hotels.

My husband and I have been lucky enough to holiday in many parts of the world, but this holiday has been one of the best. The hotel is good, but it is made even better by its staff who are so friendly and helpful. I have already recommended it to our friends and really hope to return sometime in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank aljo67

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for your staying with us at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani. We are very glad you had an enjoyable stay and will gladly welcome you back on another occasion.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Staying here Feb 2014. 3 adults staying in one room. Very good size, beds are a bit hard. Everyday the hotel offers activities. Hard to get chairs for the beach and pool. Rooms get cleaned well. Have to do a bit of walking as hotel is big. 5 min walk to Main Street which is great.

Room Tip: Rooms closest to the beach for a sea breeze
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Kimmycoo86

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for your recent staying with us at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani. We are very glad you had an enjoyable stay and will gladly welcome you back on another occasion.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

The hotel is very well accommodated, the rooms are clean, spacious and modern. The staff is very helpful and very friendly.

It is however a very typical resort in some way. The types of guests visiting where really inconsiderate about thai culture, but also about other guests. Many people got up at 6AM to place their towels on a beach-bed to come back to it hours later, even though hotel rules dictate otherwise.

Also as non smokers we where very disappointed that some of the best seats at the breakfast buffet where smoking seats. Also on the resort and beach beds a lot of people smoked - so we did not like that.

Food was ok. But if you go for lunch or dinner, the nearby beach bars, and town cafe's offer fantastic foods for very low prices, so would advise that above going to have dinners and lunches at the resort.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HeinenJiska
Katathani1, Manager at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

With regards to your remarks which concerning to sun beds next to the beach and smoking area, please be assured that it has been noted by management and will be taken into consideration for future improvements. Thank you very much for bringing up this points to our attention and we very much hope to see you again in the near future.