“Khao Lak Experience”

Ranked #17 of 69 Hotels in Khao Lak
Melbourne, Australia
“Khao Lak Experience”

VISIONS.
A relatively new resort, past experiences at Katathani and The Shore, an air of excitement and once again I was undecided in the way of expectations that had graced my mind. I had viewed pictures on the internet but had not formalized an opinion of the up and coming holiday at the Sands.
I carried in my vision a picture of happy, contented and an eagerness to serve, help and be of assistance; a staff that would care, be efficient and greet you like long lost family. A further image, that they would give you your space but be around if help was required while smiling and wanting to converse and improve their language skills. To go that extra step and recognise you wherever you were in the resort with grace and humour. I wanted them to know what was going on in the resort and keep up a high standard of service.
Accommodation I imagined would be varied, updated and welcoming, maybe with a new touch of style and practicalities while the amenities be very usable for all and stylized. The architecture I hoped for was to have that style that was so familiar from Katathani in Phuket. I was not expecting The Shore to be transferred to The Sands.
Physically I required safe walking tracks, a pool where I could swim and not just lounge and a satisfactory gym where I could go to vary my exercise program.
I wanted restaurants where I felt at ease any time of day but not as many as Phuket, maintained and offered flexibility, as I wanted to eat some street food this time.
These visions I carried to Khao Lak and with the hope that these would in some way be fulfilled.
REALITY.
On being picked up from the airport in Phuket, we travelled to Khao Lak by The Sands courtesy car, where with a number of smooth snoozes we arrived at The Sands and we were met with a large clean and attractive front of the reception and a staff to assist with the luggage and an escort to the main reception desk.
On entering the area we were seated and treated very warmly with a staff we thought we had met at Katathani and presented with a fragrant moist towel to freshen up. Arrangements were made for the stay, and room keys issued; bags picked up by the staff and transported to our room by golf buggy and warmness by the young men.
The foyer of the resort had striking lighting, seats for waiting and a great panoramic view of the resort by overlooking the water feature then the lagoon and pools to the beach, flanked by the rooms, bars, restaurants and centres on either side.
I was taken by the room design and colour scheme on entering.
The layout was simple and very manageable – a small entry hallway with sliding doors on the left hiding the bathroom with another sliding door at ninety degrees to provide privacy from the rest of the room. A further division was created by a desk bench that acted as the bed head. The bed was large – I think two king singles together followed by a small step down into the lounge section of the room containing the lounge and television on the wall. Passing through the sliding doors onto the balcony, was enclosed by a glass barrier in front that became a viewing aspect of the resort. The day bed and the table on the verandah were great but maybe a chair could also be included in the future. The fan was fantastic on the balcony and very welcome to me.
The interior colours were a mixture of white, pale, grey, beige and brown that all worked in harmony and the “frieze” of mint green that decorated the bathroom and one that joined the lounge to the balcony. The simple tables and art work, the repetition of circles and ovals throughout the room brought a note of consistency overall.
The ablutions area contained a more than adequate sized shower, a bath, a very functional toilet and fittings, a large bench below the mirror and frosted glass for separation and privacy.
The room was clean and was maintained to high standard by Nnatan throughout the stay and along with Chaiwat on the last day.
The grounds were immaculately groomed and kept that way on a daily basis. You could see the care taken by the way the gardeners knocked the leaves and storm damaged flowers off on a daily basis. I was so pleased to see Callistemons planted around the resort. Although the resort is still young and you can see great growth on the plants. Similar features in planting are a carryover from The Shore.
The massage area by the beach was great and I spent five sessions of one hour was spent with Su and from the first session she knew my back and neck extremely well. Great massages!
The staff were absolutely brilliant to us – they were caring, interested, offered great service, were warm and welcoming, constantly smiling and courteous. Many showed a sense of humour and smiles were the order of the day.
The greet staff at The Floating Restaurant were great, a smile a definitive rapport and knowledge of the game was quite clear. Mr. Pongsaton and Armelo were of a high standard of greeting displaying great warmth and care. The wait staff were absolutely lovely and efficient – Trainees 71,72,73, 74 were standouts, Mr Pitapongwas gracious and helpful and Fang was an absolute delight. Nittaya deserves a special mention as she was willing to engage in excellent conversation, was constantly vigilant, saw to all duties with a broad smile and humour and was respected, as far as I could see by all staff. A wonderful personality! The trainee who was continually cutting up the fruit at breakfast time was an absolute delight with a warm welcoming smile.
The boys at The Egg Bar – a happy pair, willing to converse, smile, joke and be involved with all who fronted the bar – the boys Mr. Piyapitol Kopongpibool and Mr. Noppon Samutwaree will always be remembered.
The staff working at The Coconut Bar were efficient, smiling and ever willing to take an order. I could have mentioned all of them and not have wrong but Joe Matthawat and Jirawat were brilliant. We were served well at the Talay by Sukanya, Suthep and Kittisak.
I read on one review that people did not have enough variety at breakfast. In my opinion after eating there at the The Floating Market, the variety of food and the change in some speciality areas such as roti and the Chinese type section close to the room entry were very good. There was hot, cold, fruit, juices, water, eggs a variety of Asian food, yoghurts and cold cuts. Pastries and bread were rotated daily and the cold cuts were always available.
The pool facilities achieved everything that I required and were able to fit the needs of the younger children well. The gym was adequate, well maintained and clean. It gave me enough variety in my exercise program when I did not swim.
It was a quiet, peaceful resort that was definitely suited the older client and not teenagers and young adults. It serviced all my needs and gave us a very relaxing time with care, consideration and service that made us feel at ease during our two week stay.

Room Tip: The resort is not for teenages, or young adults who wish to be a little riotous or super active on t...
3 Thank AquaRover
Katathani1, Manager at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani, responded to this review, 8 June 2014

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for taking your time to review on TripAdvisor.com. We are happy that you had an overall relaxing stay and enjoyable with our services for your recent visit our resort.

With regards to your remarks which concern to services quality and English communication skill for our staff, please be assured that it has been noted by management and will be taken into consideration for future improvements. Thank you very much for bringing up this points to our attention and we very much hope to see you again in the near future.

If I could be of your assistance for further inquiries or next visit, please feel free to contact myself at your convenience.

E-mail : residentmanager@thesandskhaolak.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed here on a deal with luxury escapes and wasn't sure what to expect. Deal included accommodation for 2 , one way transfer, all breakfasts, a couple of dinners, a heap of massages, cocktail and thai cooking class. Was very pleasantly surprised!!! Great resort, easy to navigate, very nice rooms and upgraded to a pool suite...so jumping into the pool from your own deck is a real treat. Great pool area and really nice to swim in the ocean everyday....fantastic temperature in the ocean but sometimes a little warm in the pool.

Meals at the hotel are good....but no need to eat there everyday as good beach restaurants close by...turn right when on the beach and hit the yellow bar...nothing like drinking a cocktail with your feet in the sand!. Otherwise for a mix of French and thai food try. Smiles on the main road close to the resort in Khao Lak. Run by a very friendly french guy and his thai wife who is the chef.....beautiful food, quality produce...so good we ate there twice.

Happy hour at the pool bar is a nice touch each night too...try the mojitos ...they were very refreshing!

So in short...Go...you won't be disappointed...great place for busy people to really chill out and
relax..

Room Tip: Grab a pool access if you can afford....really nice treat
2 Thank Rapidbay

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for taking your time to review on TripAdvisor.com. We are happy that you had a relaxing stay with our services and we hope to see you again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We have stayed at the Katathani hotel (Phuket) for the last 5 years and were expecting the same level of service etc from the Sands. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way, the service generally around the resort wasn't a touch on the usual level we had experienced at the Katathani.

It started to go wrong at check-in, this was the most Un-welcoming experience we have ever had at any hotel in Thailand. When I asked to upgrade to an ocean front suite I was original told that this would cost 4,000Baht per night (£75). After some discussion the price was reduced to 1,600Baht per night (£30). The Tenderloin was extremely poor (I tried it on two separate occasions and it was sent back both times).

Considering the resort was half empty we found service at the "quiet pool" was terrible. As an example my wife had a coconut at 13:00, it was not cleared by the staff until 16:30.

On a positive note the gardens are immaculate; this is a Katathani trait.
Also a mention needs to go to the security team on the beachfront, they were always attentive throughout our stay.
Also the rooms were well decorated and nicely laid out.

The Management Team have got a lot of work to do, if they are ever going to rival their parent hotel The Katathani.

We will not be returning to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an oceanfront junior suite
3 Thank 007Pete

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for taking your time to review on TripAdvisor.com. We are happy that you had an overall relaxing stay for your recent visit at Khao Lak beaches.

With regards to your remarks which concern to our services quality, please be assured that it has been noted by management and will be taken into consideration for future improvements. Thank you very much for bringing up this points to our attention and we very much hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Spent 10 days at the sands on a pagage deal which included massages and cooking and cocktail lessons a few dinners throw in too - didn't know what to expect - well outstanding springs to mind for one. When we arrived in the lobby we we're blow away by the setup and size of the place we quickly upgraded our room to a junior suite with private pool access - well worth it - the foods on other we're well prepared and served with a smile - many activities to participate in or do nothing at all - all the staff went out of their way to help - am looking forward to returning for another stay - highly recommend

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mario D
Katathani1, Manager at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani, responded to this review, 2 June 2014

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for taking your time to review on TripAdvisor .com for your recent staying with us at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani. We are very glad that you had an enjoyable stay with our services and will gladly welcome you back on another occasion.

If I could be of your assistance for further inquiries or future visit, please feel free to contact myself at your convenience.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The resort is located in a beautiful setting, right on the beach with views over the Andaman sea. Rooms are clean and comfortable, and the staff friendly and helpful, though language can be a difficulty with some of the staff.
While the pool was spacious, I found the water temperature a bit warm for my liking, though others found it pleasant. A minor irritant for some were the parents who brought children into the adult pool, despite the sign. As the resort caters to a large northern european clientele, particular german speakers, and prints menus and tourist information in German, why the pool sign is not also in german is a mystery as a significant proportion of offenders were german speakers.
Breakfast was good, but other food at the resort was of variable standard and expensive compared to outside. The Thai buffet at Floating Market was good, but our other meal there was ordinary. The set menu Seafood meal at Talay was ordinary, whereas a later a la carte meal was of a high standard.
Best value for meals and drinks is to walk down to the beach, turn right and walk for 10 mins to a line of bar/restaurants. At one of the first of these, Yellow, a whole steamed fish to share, plus rice and two drinks each came to 650 baht. Amenities are basic, but sitting at table on the beach, with the waves 2 metres away, watching the sun set over the sea is magic.
As most travellers were elderly, or families with young children, it is not for the partygoers.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Trevor W
Katathani1, Manager at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani, responded to this review, 6 June 2014

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for taking your time to review on TripAdvisor.com. We are happy that you had an overall relaxing stay and enjoyable with our services.

With regards to your remarks which concern to food quality, noisy at the pool areas, German information & food menu and some other issued, please be assured that it has been noted by management and will be taken into consideration for future improvements. Thank you very much for bringing up this points to our attention and we very much hope to see you again in the near future.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 28 May 2014

If your family are with children and wanna have a friendly hotel for kids, then The sands Khao lak is a very good choice. Lots area for kids and also has kid menu in restaurant.
Three pools, two are for kids, and also on kid clubs that I am sure children will have fun here.

We books two room, one is standard room for two adults, and another one is family room for two adults and two childs, and both room are very clean. Our lil twin brothers have lots fun in kids pool.

Two restaurants that we had in our holiday, one is Thai restaurant, one is western food.
Thai restaurant is okay, and western one is so so…Compare to other 5 stars hotels, the food here can be improve.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank leeannster

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

With regards to your remarks which concern to food taste and quality, please be assured that it has been noted by management and will be taken into consideration for future improvements. Thank you very much for bringing up this points to our attention and we very much hope to see you again in the near future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We bought a 10 night package through Luxury Escapes, which included daily breakfasts, 2 dinners, a whole lot of massages, a cooking class and a cocktail making course. The package was for a standard room but we decided to upgrade to a suite, which we would highly recommend as you get a lot more room.

The hotel is spread out over a very large area so depending on which room you have, you may be in for a fair bit of walking. From our suite it was at least 500 metres to the entrance of the property, which does not seem too much in normal circumstances, but it is when you are walking in extreme heat.

The cooking class and the cocktail making class were enormous fun.

Breakfast was always excellent with a lot of variety, but every other meal we had there was disappointing, particularly the seafood buffet. Our meal at the signature restaurant was cut short courtesy of the ignorance of one of the patrons who insisted on smoking cigars.

The staff are wonderfully friendly as everyone else has reported but a few of our requests to reception fell on deaf ears.

Room Tip: Block 6, 3rd floor - great views of the water.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jc0691

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

With regards to your remarks which concern to seafood quality and other issued, please be assured that it has been noted by management and will be taken into consideration for future improvements. Thank you very much for bringing up this points to our attention and we very much hope to see you again in the near future.