“Stunning very well maintained resort” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani
Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Khao Lak
“Stunning very well maintained resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

The Sands is amazing. We had a great time 6 nights on our honeymoon. The resort looks brand new, so very well manicured! I couldn't believe the attention to detail in terms of landscaping the grounds and very large pools. Adults pool is fabulous! Its Massive with an awesome swim up bar. Rooms are modern yet cosy but well laid out, have everything you need. Actual loxation is great, a walk up thw driveway and your right in Khao Lak. Highly recommended

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Katathani1, Manager at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani, responded to this review, 6 June 2014

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for taking your time to review on TripAdvisor.com. We are happy that you had a wonderful time for your honeymoon occasion with our services and we hope to see you again in the near future.

If I could be of your assistance for further inquiries or next visit, please feel free to contact myself at your convenience.

E-mail : residentmanager@thesandskhaolak.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Our nine days here would have been very good anyway but enhanced by extra goodies through an online offer including massages (for two, almost daily) + a couple of dinners. This is quite a newly established resort so if you like modern, clean (almost pristine and for some perhaps even a little 'clinical') have no problem choosing it. We paid extra to upgrade to sea-view junior suite - a little bigger but very similar to a standard room - much as you will see at the resort's website. We could see the beach from the edge of our ground floor decking outside our room. Would benefit from key-lock access to that full length window/door. Nice pools - fine for lap swimming; good restaurants (the one closer to the beach superior); well-equipped, clean gym and 'public' facilities - looked like good stuff for kids (family friendly); helpful, friendly staff, especially our room maid. Didn't have to leave the resort but did occasionally - taxis out more expensive including car return to airport (about double local cab price) but very clean, comfortable, air-co and bottled water. Recommend too the Sunshine Bar & Grill on the beach at the base of the steeply located Khao Lak Palm Beach Resort (more 'mature' gardens, GREAT staff) located on a tsunami-proof slope and but looked like being worthy of consideration and maybe considerably cheaper. But we did have very relaxing trouble-free R & R at The Sands.

Room Tip: If you want a true sea view, probably choose an upper level room with balcony - or insist on seeing...
2 Thank Rodent_16
Katathani1, Manager at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani, responded to this review, 8 June 2014

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for taking your time to review on TripAdvisor.com. We are happy that you had a relaxing stay with our services and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I recently spent 11 nights at the resort. As a sister resort to the Katathani we expected a great holiday and we were not disappointed. Right on the beach with a big lawn area by the adults pool. Wisely the resort has provided an adults only ( over 12 ) pool area.
Bliss. The resort is quite new and the facilities were first class. We ate almost all of our meals in the Talay restaurant and enjoyed a wide variety of excellent meals. Unfortunately the wine in Thailand is expensive but the cocktails available were delicious. A great gym if you are so inclined and an excellent spa and beach side massages to tone the body.
A short walk to the front gate and from there a variety of restaurants to choose from.
This resort is perfect for couples and families with small children.
We would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Top floor near the beach.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ron S

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for taking your time to review on TripAdvisor.com. We are happy that you had a relaxing stay and enjoyable with our services and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Pleasanton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is our 2nd time visiting the Sands. The first time was right after their new opening and this time almost a year later. We went back as my husband and I wanted a nice getaway for two of us. The Sands never let us down! We always fell in love with the hotel decoration that gives us a sense of freshness and serenity. We stayed in the pool access room which is closer to the lobby and farther from the playgrounds / big pool areas.. so we can have more privacy for both of us :)

Service staff are always friendly and helpful. We tried the spa this time too and it was great! We enjoyed our stay so much - it was definitely great trip for relaxation and we will be back again!

Room Tip: Go for Pool Access room!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NorCal1929
Katathani1, Manager at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani, responded to this review, 2 June 2014

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for taking your time to review on TripAdvisor .com for your 2nd recent staying with us at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani. We are very glad that you had an enjoyable stay with our services and will gladly welcome you back on another occasion.

If I could be of your assistance for further inquiries or future visit, please feel free to contact myself at your convenience.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We spent 9 nights at the Sands during May with our 2 small children. The resort was perfect for a family holiday. We originally booked a 'Family Room' through booking.com but then thanks to the wonderful service of Chamlong (Resident Manager) upgraded to a Pool Access Junior Suite. Our room was lovely and large enough to accommodate a sofa bed and single bed for our 2 children. Our bed was absolutely huge!!! Our private balcony area was separated from our private pool area by glass and our children were not able to open the gate so it was very safe given that the children could not enter the pool without us. Having the private pool access made our holiday. Our children swam and played for hours and it also meant we could sit outside and enjoy the pool while they slept during the afternoon. It was a HUGE advantage for us having the pool access room. The Joy Pool was also fantastic and our children loved the Waterslide and fountains. It was easy to get lounges around the pool and all the children and adults seemed to love it. I was a little disappointed when I 1st read that children could not enter the pool with the swim up bar but to be honest I now think it is a fantastic concept to have 2 separate pools and I do understand that people travelling without children don't want noisy kids splashing and bothering them. Both pools were great - I was personally happy to be at either one. Not once over 10 days did I see a child in the Adult Peace Pool so people are taking notice of the signs. When we wanted some time out in the Peace Pool we put our children into Kids Club. Perfect!
The Kids Club - All the staff were absolutely amazing and the facilities fantastic. I was apprehensive about using kids club as I had never stayed anywhere like this with our children before and I don't like to leave them but I was 100% comfortable. Alice deserves an extra special mention. My daughter loved Alice, she was amazing with our children and could not do enough. Thank you so much Alice. Our son is only 3 so we hired a babysitter a couple of times so he could go into the club without us. All the babysitters were lovely. Kids Club 5 stars!
The Floating Market restaurant was also lovely. Breakfasts were delicious and the staff were amazing. Everyone was so lovely with our children and they were very quick to come and lend a hand the second they saw our children get restless. They even had special Mickey Mouse plates and cutlery. Quite often in Australia I feel uncomfortable dining with children because they do make a little noise even though we are extremely aware of minimising this but not once did I feel like that at the Sands. The staff and even other guests wanted to talk to our children which was really nice.
We had 3 meals at the Floating Market and all food was great. We did tend to venture out to the street most nights for meals as we like to try to different things.
That brings me to the location of the Sands - again perfect. We could wander out to the main area with ease whereas all the other resorts are isolated. My parents stayed at Beyond Resort but that was 15 minutes away from town and would not have suited us at all.
As I've said everything about this resort was perfect. Rooms, amenities, staff, kids club, food all get 5 stars from us.
A big big thank you to all the staff for making this such a wonderful holiday for our family. I would love to come back next year. No where better for families!!!!!

Room Tip: Choose a pool access room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Tania B

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for taking your time to review on TripAdvisor .com for your recent staying with us at The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani. We are very glad that you had an enjoyable stay with our services and will gladly welcome you back on another occasion.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

VISIONS.
A relatively new resort, past experiences at Katathani and The Shore, an air of excitement and once again I was undecided in the way of expectations that had graced my mind. I had viewed pictures on the internet but had not formalized an opinion of the up and coming holiday at the Sands.
I carried in my vision a picture of happy, contented and an eagerness to serve, help and be of assistance; a staff that would care, be efficient and greet you like long lost family. A further image, that they would give you your space but be around if help was required while smiling and wanting to converse and improve their language skills. To go that extra step and recognise you wherever you were in the resort with grace and humour. I wanted them to know what was going on in the resort and keep up a high standard of service.
Accommodation I imagined would be varied, updated and welcoming, maybe with a new touch of style and practicalities while the amenities be very usable for all and stylized. The architecture I hoped for was to have that style that was so familiar from Katathani in Phuket. I was not expecting The Shore to be transferred to The Sands.
Physically I required safe walking tracks, a pool where I could swim and not just lounge and a satisfactory gym where I could go to vary my exercise program.
I wanted restaurants where I felt at ease any time of day but not as many as Phuket, maintained and offered flexibility, as I wanted to eat some street food this time.
These visions I carried to Khao Lak and with the hope that these would in some way be fulfilled.
REALITY.
On being picked up from the airport in Phuket, we travelled to Khao Lak by The Sands courtesy car, where with a number of smooth snoozes we arrived at The Sands and we were met with a large clean and attractive front of the reception and a staff to assist with the luggage and an escort to the main reception desk.
On entering the area we were seated and treated very warmly with a staff we thought we had met at Katathani and presented with a fragrant moist towel to freshen up. Arrangements were made for the stay, and room keys issued; bags picked up by the staff and transported to our room by golf buggy and warmness by the young men.
The foyer of the resort had striking lighting, seats for waiting and a great panoramic view of the resort by overlooking the water feature then the lagoon and pools to the beach, flanked by the rooms, bars, restaurants and centres on either side.
I was taken by the room design and colour scheme on entering.
The layout was simple and very manageable – a small entry hallway with sliding doors on the left hiding the bathroom with another sliding door at ninety degrees to provide privacy from the rest of the room. A further division was created by a desk bench that acted as the bed head. The bed was large – I think two king singles together followed by a small step down into the lounge section of the room containing the lounge and television on the wall. Passing through the sliding doors onto the balcony, was enclosed by a glass barrier in front that became a viewing aspect of the resort. The day bed and the table on the verandah were great but maybe a chair could also be included in the future. The fan was fantastic on the balcony and very welcome to me.
The interior colours were a mixture of white, pale, grey, beige and brown that all worked in harmony and the “frieze” of mint green that decorated the bathroom and one that joined the lounge to the balcony. The simple tables and art work, the repetition of circles and ovals throughout the room brought a note of consistency overall.
The ablutions area contained a more than adequate sized shower, a bath, a very functional toilet and fittings, a large bench below the mirror and frosted glass for separation and privacy.
The room was clean and was maintained to high standard by Nnatan throughout the stay and along with Chaiwat on the last day.
The grounds were immaculately groomed and kept that way on a daily basis. You could see the care taken by the way the gardeners knocked the leaves and storm damaged flowers off on a daily basis. I was so pleased to see Callistemons planted around the resort. Although the resort is still young and you can see great growth on the plants. Similar features in planting are a carryover from The Shore.
The massage area by the beach was great and I spent five sessions of one hour was spent with Su and from the first session she knew my back and neck extremely well. Great massages!
The staff were absolutely brilliant to us – they were caring, interested, offered great service, were warm and welcoming, constantly smiling and courteous. Many showed a sense of humour and smiles were the order of the day.
The greet staff at The Floating Restaurant were great, a smile a definitive rapport and knowledge of the game was quite clear. Mr. Pongsaton and Armelo were of a high standard of greeting displaying great warmth and care. The wait staff were absolutely lovely and efficient – Trainees 71,72,73, 74 were standouts, Mr Pitapongwas gracious and helpful and Fang was an absolute delight. Nittaya deserves a special mention as she was willing to engage in excellent conversation, was constantly vigilant, saw to all duties with a broad smile and humour and was respected, as far as I could see by all staff. A wonderful personality! The trainee who was continually cutting up the fruit at breakfast time was an absolute delight with a warm welcoming smile.
The boys at The Egg Bar – a happy pair, willing to converse, smile, joke and be involved with all who fronted the bar – the boys Mr. Piyapitol Kopongpibool and Mr. Noppon Samutwaree will always be remembered.
The staff working at The Coconut Bar were efficient, smiling and ever willing to take an order. I could have mentioned all of them and not have wrong but Joe Matthawat and Jirawat were brilliant. We were served well at the Talay by Sukanya, Suthep and Kittisak.
I read on one review that people did not have enough variety at breakfast. In my opinion after eating there at the The Floating Market, the variety of food and the change in some speciality areas such as roti and the Chinese type section close to the room entry were very good. There was hot, cold, fruit, juices, water, eggs a variety of Asian food, yoghurts and cold cuts. Pastries and bread were rotated daily and the cold cuts were always available.
The pool facilities achieved everything that I required and were able to fit the needs of the younger children well. The gym was adequate, well maintained and clean. It gave me enough variety in my exercise program when I did not swim.
It was a quiet, peaceful resort that was definitely suited the older client and not teenagers and young adults. It serviced all my needs and gave us a very relaxing time with care, consideration and service that made us feel at ease during our two week stay.

Room Tip: The resort is not for teenages, or young adults who wish to be a little riotous or super active on t...
3 Thank AquaRover

Sawasdee & Greeting from The Sands Khao Lak by Katathani

Thank you very much for taking your time to review on TripAdvisor.com. We are happy that you had an overall relaxing stay and enjoyable with our services for your recent visit our resort.

With regards to your remarks which concern to services quality and English communication skill for our staff, please be assured that it has been noted by management and will be taken into consideration for future improvements. Thank you very much for bringing up this points to our attention and we very much hope to see you again in the near future.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed here on a deal with luxury escapes and wasn't sure what to expect. Deal included accommodation for 2 , one way transfer, all breakfasts, a couple of dinners, a heap of massages, cocktail and thai cooking class. Was very pleasantly surprised!!! Great resort, easy to navigate, very nice rooms and upgraded to a pool suite...so jumping into the pool from your own deck is a real treat. Great pool area and really nice to swim in the ocean everyday....fantastic temperature in the ocean but sometimes a little warm in the pool.

Meals at the hotel are good....but no need to eat there everyday as good beach restaurants close by...turn right when on the beach and hit the yellow bar...nothing like drinking a cocktail with your feet in the sand!. Otherwise for a mix of French and thai food try. Smiles on the main road close to the resort in Khao Lak. Run by a very friendly french guy and his thai wife who is the chef.....beautiful food, quality produce...so good we ate there twice.

Happy hour at the pool bar is a nice touch each night too...try the mojitos ...they were very refreshing!

So in short...Go...you won't be disappointed...great place for busy people to really chill out and
relax..

Room Tip: Grab a pool access if you can afford....really nice treat
2 Thank Rapidbay