“Mixed feelings - some good points but not to everyone's taste”
Review of The Sarojin

The Sarojin
Ranked #2 of 69 Hotels in Khao Lak
Knutsford, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings - some good points but not to everyone's taste”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I was really looking forward to our stay at the Sarojin (chosen from the reviews here) but it didn't quite meet up to expectations. The pick-up from the airport went well and on arrival we were offered a welcome drink and I was given a bunch of twisted leaves (I guess they were out of orchids!). We were quickly shown to our room, a pool residence. Things then went downhill.

The room itself was pleasantly furnished and quite large. BUT the bathroom is probably one of the worst designed I've ever had to experience. Firstly it is just a dark, dismal, partly screened back section of the bedroom. Even the toilet is partly 'open' although thankfully there is a glass partition between this and the tea/coffee making area. The floor of this 'bathroom' was concrete covered with large and uncomfortable to walk on pebbles. The whole area was dominated by a large plant urn which seeped from its base onto the floor (hullo mosquitos!). The bathroom sink was one of those slabs with a horizontal chink cut out along its length like you see in public washrooms. (Watching my husband try to wetshave in half a centimetre of water in this sink was entertaining!). The large bath had been filled with water prior to our arrival for the purpose of sprinkling leaves and petals for decorative purposes (what a waste of water). If the aim was to detract from the dank dimness of the bathroom, it didn't work. I like my bathrooms hygienic, clean looking, bright and functional - with due respect to the maids who did a wonderful job given this setup - the bathroom was definitely a matter of style over substance.

We were shown a number of price lists during our welcome tour of the room and within the hour I was given another (for the BBQ - see later) by the 'turndown service' maid. We debated checking out there and then but it was getting late so decided to stick with it.

There were good points - the restaurants were both very good and we enjoyed the sunset cocktails. The Sarojin only has a small section of beach but this is well looked after by a team of lads who kept us supplied with chilled water, towels etc. It was never too busy that we couldn't find a lounger.

The pool in the pool residence was large enough to cool off in at the end of the day although the mosquito activity and the lack of a breeze made us head for the beach in preference. We only had to retreat from the beach when they were setting up the weekly BBQ - basically they move the Edge restaurant out 100 metres closer to the shore and 'dress' the beach for the seafood BBQ. Obviously this closes the Edge for that evening and I couldn't really see the point other than it offers a buffet option for those that like that sort of thing. We don't. I must have been quizzed dozens of times as to whether I was going to the damn BBQ and there was surprise when I declined - it is very well promoted by all the staff! It also offers 'live music' i. e. a guitarist playing american rock classics. When we passed by later, I knew I'd made the right decision not to attend!

Other good points, the all day breakfast really is a winner. We were able to go off on bike rides in the cooler morning air and return for breakfast. Note to cyclists - the yellow bus stop roof for the turning to the waterfall is no longer yellow (it rusted).

The room air con was efficient and importantly quite quiet. Insect repellent and nice toiletries provided. There was a sensible size room safe, tea/coffee making stuff and good WiFi. There was even WiFi at the beach - yay!

The grounds are beautiful and maintained by an army of gardeners. The highlight of my stay was being handed a bloom by an older lady gardener as I walked by. So much more appreciated than the twisted bunch of leaves at welcome. The spa was OK but can be hot as it is open air. Again the staff were lovely.

So a long review - have tried to convey the positives - in particular, the friendly and diligent staff. We enjoyed our stay but that bathroom, oh dear!

4 Thank LoveFrenchWine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Just getting ourselves back to real life after our wonderful stay at Sarojin. .

From the moment we were picked up at the airport until the moment we were dropped off, we had a wonderful holiday experience. (Cold towels and drinks on the journey, comfy cars, and the use of I pad on the way to the hotel)

Walking in to your beautiful hotel, we were aware of a wonderful sense of peace and tranquility. The care and attention we were afforded made us feel as if we were important guests and that's the way it stayed for the week. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Wonderful! But as well as the guests, staff were so gracious to each other.

My husband had inadvertently, quite badly burned his face on our cruise before we reached Thailand. On seeing this, Alex went off and found some aloe for him, which proved very soothing. This was the typical of the standard of care we received for the duration of our stay.

We especially liked The Edge, informal, relaxing, good service and great Thai food. The idea of the all day breakfast is a brilliant one. Guests can have a very comprehensive breakfast, including sparkling wine, up until 6 pm.

We had a garden room which served us very well, spacious, clean and such a comfortable bed. I slept the nights right through, unheard of at home. Also great to have tea and coffee making in the room, as well as fresh fruit and crisp breads.

We really enjoyed our time at the beach, peaceful, relaxing and so ŵell looked after. No pressure on beds and space, regularly supplied with icy cold water. My husband really enjoyed using the kayaks and catamaran. He also had several rides out on one of the good quality bikes.

The grounds are stunning, wonderfully kept and an oasis of peace and tranquility. Also beautiful swimming pool area.

I will long remember the kindness and graciousness of Kade and the three Reception ladies waving us off, we felt as if were family.

We had a marvellous holiday and can see why there are lots of returning guests. Hopefully, in the future, we will be two of them.

2 Thank Billingirl
Washington, DC
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I have never been steered wrong about a hotel by Tripadvisor until I booked the Sarojin. My wife and I were so excited to relax and enjoy the beach/hotel after traveling around SE Asia. When we checked into the hotel, we were both immediately disappointed. The hotel had a very tired/brown look to the grounds. Our room was so-so with a mattress that was as hard my college dorm mattress. The bathroom/shower setup was awkward and not very well done. The pool itself is self was meh and the beach was nothing special. The service was also indifferent. This felt more like a 2-3 star hotel than a five star hotel. In addition, the prices on everything at the hotel were comical for the quality of the product/service. We were hugely dissapointed and were ready to leave.

Thanks to our travel agent, we were able to check out after the first night for almost a full refund on the remainder of our stay and switched to a five star hotel in Phuket that actually felt like a five star hotel. This was the first time we have ever changed hotels after check-in.

10 Thank Travelbudsz
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed for 1 week in mid March 2014, our last visit was back in 2006, can I just say that the Sarojin has only got better. Kade and his team are remarkable in the way they look after you and nothing is too much trouble.
The hotel is beautiful, our pool residence was a lovely, clean and well equipped.. The gardens are cared for with love and the food and service is second to none.
We will return for our third time..

2 Thank NIGEL E
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We have been at The Sarojin for 1 week and have a few days left to go. We originally booked here on a recommendation from our close friends and are glad we did. The holiday was for our 29th anniversary and we try to "head east" as the weather around Feb/Mar is usually good... It has been stunning, blue skies, 28 - 35 c each day and as The Sarojin is set on a beautiful stretch of beach in a bay, it is like I imagine paradise...

The hotel car met us at Phuket Airport for the 1hr 15min drive to the hotel, cold towels, water, Singha and a comfortable air conditioned drive later and we were greeted at the hotel with a welcome drink of tamarind juice and more cold towels... Good start. Swift check-in and we were informed that they had upgraded us from a Pool Residence to a Sarojin Suite as it was our special occasion. I was grateful on the one hand, but apprehensive on the other as we chose the Pool Residence over a suite not because of price, but to have our own pool, but my misgivings were soon allayed as we had a plunge pool / jacuzzi on the balcony as well as 2 sun beds and table / chairs. The extra lounge space, drinks fridge etc, made for a comfortable stay and when I saw/experienced the main pool, I quickly realised that the small pool in a pool residence wouldn't have seen much use.... The room was well appointed with all you would expect, 2 person bath, rain shower, conventional shower, 2 toilets, small kitchen area for tea/coffee/wine fridge/conventional fridge etc

The main pool is superb with lots of sun beds, 2 person day beds & cabanas. It has a jacuzzi area and is massive. It was warm (which I like) and even depth throughout. The private beach area is also large, lots of beds, staffed and has a great sea breeze.

2 restaurants. Ficus ( breakfast & European) and The Edge (Asian). Both excellent, the food here is fantastic. A word about breakfast. Included in the price, comprehensive from continental to fully cooked to Asian, served from 6am to 6pm... That's right.. All day, whenever you feel like it. This may sound like a "so what" but I hate either having to rush to get breakfast in before 10am or skipping it because I'm not hungry... Here you just have what you want, when you want and drink as much bubbly with it as you can stand!

Trips aplenty for those that want it, I went to Similan Islands snorkelling and will be elephant trekking tomorrow. I guess I will edit/update this review once holiday is over and add some photo's, but in case there is anyone out there wondering whether or not to come here... My advice is... Unless you want busy/nightlife holiday, do it......

6 Thank FergusPatterson
Guildford
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This place is pretty impossible to fault. If you are looking for a peaceful, relaxed time in beautiful tranquil surroundings then go ahead and book. The staff are charming and efficient. Aoy! Looked after us particularly well. We had hummed and hawed between a pool room or suite. As we had just stayed at the Shore at Katathani ( highly recommended) with an incredible infinity pool we decided to forgoe the pool and go for extra space. They are on the first floor and very peaceful and private but sure both are equally good. What a stressful decision to have to make! The concept of breakfast until 18.30 is fantastic. Wondering if this will start be copied at other establishments. Hope so! Not being much of an early breakfast fan I tend to miss breakfast 50% of the time. This is beyond breakfast though. No buffet sat around in the heat. An extensive A la cart menu with free flowing sparkling wine. Try the parma ham, marscapone , eggs and tomato chutney. A spot of sun bathing around the beautiful peaceful pool then brunch to avoid the midday sun ,perfect! The snorkelling trip on the Lady Sarojin was amazing A beautiful boat and the islands and snorkelling are breath taking. A fabulous lobster and seafood lunch and lots more sparkling wine with some lovely company as numbers are restricted to 12. Yes it is expensive, but worth pushing the boat out if you can. Excuse the pun. There have been a number of comments about the Sarojin being pricey. Basically it's UK prices. If you really need lunch after the sumptuous breakfast head to the scenic and friendly Boatyard 10 mins to the left of the beach. Nice for a beer or Mojito and funding the fishermen struck by the Tsunami. Half price cocktails at the hotel beach front restaurant nice at sunset time. Try the Aperol cocktail. We ate at this restaurant a couple of nights. Lovely fresh fish and well priced. We ate at Ficus on our final night as we had to leave mid evening so not worth participating in the seafood bbq. Fabulous food and again reasonably priced. A little lacking in atmosphere but guess most people at the bbq. We ventured into Khao Lak a couple of nights and the part of town just before this, cant remember the name. Dont be tied to the shuttle bus. Its 200 baht for 2 one way but only 300 baht for a cab usually the hotel car. Its not all that but worth a look at the market and some reasonable cheap restaurants around. We found a littlebar called Lazy with a guy who sang with a guitar. Most impressed his Eglish stretched to the whole of America pie. Borrow a couple of bikes and cycle to the waterfall. Dont do it in the middle of the day on one of their hottest days of the year though! We were even very well looked after on our trip to the airport. A comfortable air conditioned 4 x 4 with choice of music and a Singha with a lovely driver A beautiful retreat good for the soul. I just about managed not to sob as I left. Oh and the spa treatments are excellent . Still trying to think of how it could be it improved. Got it, we had an earlyish night one night and borrowed a dvd and the tv was a little small but that really is digging deep to find something. Honestly a superb hotel in a wonderful setting on a beautiful beach. Enjoy if you are lucky enough to go!

1 Thank Emma131
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

From the moment we stepped out of the car until the moment we sadly had to leave we had a wonderful stay! The staff are all highly motivated and extremely efficient and friendly. We stayed in a fantastic room with a private plunge pool! The location is wonderful and the grounds are very beautiful as is the location on the beach! The food was excellent! It was awesome! Can't wait to return.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple