“stepped into a fairy tale at Sarojin !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sarojin

The Sarojin
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Khao Lak
Bristol, United Kingdom
“stepped into a fairy tale at Sarojin !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

I booked this resort as our first destination in a great custommade tour of the region put together with our travel agents at andaman sky. The resort grounds are stunning and quiet, there are no kids running around anywhere (i believe young children arent even permitted here) Our room was large and very well equipped, we really couldnt find fault with the meals (lush breakfasts) and the service was attentive and very courteous. My girlfriend said she felt like a princess from a fairy tale here. It certainly provides for the right surroundings, recommended without hesitation

1 Thank harrymarks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
southampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I would echo some of the more recent reviews of this place. It is NOT a five star resort although I think it is trying very hard to be one. Room was fone, uncomfortable mattress, no sign of a pillow menu, aircon very effective and reasonable quiet. When we were shown around the room, the chap waited for our reaction to the bathroom so I made the appropriate noises. I don't think the bathroom is poor but a bit 'meh' and I have seen this style of bathroom before, has been done to death as it were. I don't think anyone else has mentioned this but the polycarb roof above the wooden slats in the bathroom makes for some very interesting acoustics with your neighbours!! Soundproofing in the rooms as a whole is appalling with lots of neighbour noise which caused us considerable problems.
We don't 'do' beaches so I have nothing to say about that really. The food/service at the Edge restaurant during our stay was patchy; on one occasion we were totally ignored with no menus for 20 mins after being seated, we were so cross we visited reception afterwards to make a complaint to reception. Food at Ficus was better and we enjoyed our meals here including the all day breakfasts ( great idea this)
The pool - now one reviewer said that this is where the magic happens. Disagree. The pool itself is nice, you will need to get there early to ged the fur poster cabanas but the rest of the seating is fine too. Service for food/drinks was very patchy, my husband had to literally run after the pool attendant to get any attention. We are typically british about these things and try not to be too demanding but we are learning that in some places you have to be a little more aggressive, shame really. We have been well served poolside in Egypt, Mauritius and the Maldives and this place really falls short I'm afraid.
The trips we did through the hotel were good, we privately hired the Lady Sarojin for a snorkelling trip, we did the elephant bathing and this was done very well with the hotel making it very personalised for us, great job and the sunset cocktails cruise was also very good, no complaints there.
We got bitten to death, mainly at the restaurants at night we think, little tip to the hotel - great that you provide repellent spray but you need CHEMICALS in this, deet not citronella. Dengue fever is rife in Thailand and is an unpleasant disease, citronella does NOT stop mosquitos biting.
We would not return to this hotel

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank healpro
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

We have just returned after spending a week at the Sarojin resort in Khao Lak. If you are after quality all way, coupled with total peace and quiet and a place to just switch off, it does not get much better than the Sarojin. Sometimes almost a little too quiet, as people seem to keep themselves very much to them selves and we noticed little in the way of conversation other than the couples there with each other !! Which is nice in a way but the silence is almost eerie at times and it's almost like you feel that their are not actually that many people there and that their must be some other people arriving at some point !!

The resort and gardens are kept impeccably. The staff are about as helpful and courteous as is gets, the rooms are opulent in every way, you want for nothing .. We were lucky enough to have one of the larger rooms with terrace and outside plunge bath but I have to say we did not use either once, as it's just so much nicer to sit by the pool or even better down on their beach where there is a breeze which especially this time of year this is most welcome as the inner resort becomes a little stifling at times ..

It is a beautiful place but almost a crime if you don't get out and explore a little .. We hired a moped from the hotel and got to see a lot of the local area and it's just a fab way of taking in in the local scenery and also being nice and cool while you are doing it .. The locals are just so friendly and where ever we went were greeted with big warm friendly smiles from the adults and children alike ... The waterfalls and elephant trekking are all worth a visit .. And allot cheaper if you get there under your own steam and to be honest if you feel comfortable on the bikes it's so much better than car travel . Just remember to take it easy 25mph is more than enough it's allot safer at that speed and you get to see allot more by taking it easy ..

The beach stretches for miles and best plan is to rise early and enjoy a good walk on the deserted glorious coral sand . If you walk to the left as you leave the hotel about 20 mins along there is a small stall run by a couples of locals, selling fresh fruit and blended fruit drinks .. You have to try them .. Just the best 60 baht you will ever spend .. Just pure natural banana and pineapple( or what ever you choose ) blended and served with a little ice , you can just sit on the chairs provided and watch the gentle waves rolling in, perfect

Also on the beach to the left about 10 min walk there are some local charter boats and if you fancy a tour other than the fancy hotel offerings .. Their is a charming Canadian chap called Jud and his wife Elaine who run a small boat (max 6 people ) out to the islands where you can snorkel , eat drink and or just chill .. Good value and a nice 5 hours for a very reasonable price ..

So summing up the Hotel is generally fab .. My only recommendation would be some soft chill out music , maybe even a little classical music piped around the pool area and or the beach bar .. The beach sea food BBQ is not to be missed .. An enchanting evening with the beach all candle lit and just the best seafood being cooked before your very eyes and to order .. Just perfect ..

Last tip if you want fab food , cocktails and for a fraction of the hotel prices .. Wander 50 yards to the right as you hit the beach to the White sands beach bar and you can feast and drink for 2 people for less than 25 quid .. Depending on how much you drink of course .. Lol ..

Room Tip: all rooms seem to have similar aspect and well placed
8 Thank kingfisher1959
Knutsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I was really looking forward to our stay at the Sarojin (chosen from the reviews here) but it didn't quite meet up to expectations. The pick-up from the airport went well and on arrival we were offered a welcome drink and I was given a bunch of twisted leaves (I guess they were out of orchids!). We were quickly shown to our room, a pool residence. Things then went downhill.

The room itself was pleasantly furnished and quite large. BUT the bathroom is probably one of the worst designed I've ever had to experience. Firstly it is just a dark, dismal, partly screened back section of the bedroom. Even the toilet is partly 'open' although thankfully there is a glass partition between this and the tea/coffee making area. The floor of this 'bathroom' was concrete covered with large and uncomfortable to walk on pebbles. The whole area was dominated by a large plant urn which seeped from its base onto the floor (hullo mosquitos!). The bathroom sink was one of those slabs with a horizontal chink cut out along its length like you see in public washrooms. (Watching my husband try to wetshave in half a centimetre of water in this sink was entertaining!). The large bath had been filled with water prior to our arrival for the purpose of sprinkling leaves and petals for decorative purposes (what a waste of water). If the aim was to detract from the dank dimness of the bathroom, it didn't work. I like my bathrooms hygienic, clean looking, bright and functional - with due respect to the maids who did a wonderful job given this setup - the bathroom was definitely a matter of style over substance.

We were shown a number of price lists during our welcome tour of the room and within the hour I was given another (for the BBQ - see later) by the 'turndown service' maid. We debated checking out there and then but it was getting late so decided to stick with it.

There were good points - the restaurants were both very good and we enjoyed the sunset cocktails. The Sarojin only has a small section of beach but this is well looked after by a team of lads who kept us supplied with chilled water, towels etc. It was never too busy that we couldn't find a lounger.

The pool in the pool residence was large enough to cool off in at the end of the day although the mosquito activity and the lack of a breeze made us head for the beach in preference. We only had to retreat from the beach when they were setting up the weekly BBQ - basically they move the Edge restaurant out 100 metres closer to the shore and 'dress' the beach for the seafood BBQ. Obviously this closes the Edge for that evening and I couldn't really see the point other than it offers a buffet option for those that like that sort of thing. We don't. I must have been quizzed dozens of times as to whether I was going to the damn BBQ and there was surprise when I declined - it is very well promoted by all the staff! It also offers 'live music' i. e. a guitarist playing american rock classics. When we passed by later, I knew I'd made the right decision not to attend!

Other good points, the all day breakfast really is a winner. We were able to go off on bike rides in the cooler morning air and return for breakfast. Note to cyclists - the yellow bus stop roof for the turning to the waterfall is no longer yellow (it rusted).

The room air con was efficient and importantly quite quiet. Insect repellent and nice toiletries provided. There was a sensible size room safe, tea/coffee making stuff and good WiFi. There was even WiFi at the beach - yay!

The grounds are beautiful and maintained by an army of gardeners. The highlight of my stay was being handed a bloom by an older lady gardener as I walked by. So much more appreciated than the twisted bunch of leaves at welcome. The spa was OK but can be hot as it is open air. Again the staff were lovely.

So a long review - have tried to convey the positives - in particular, the friendly and diligent staff. We enjoyed our stay but that bathroom, oh dear!

4 Thank LoveFrenchWine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Just getting ourselves back to real life after our wonderful stay at Sarojin. .

From the moment we were picked up at the airport until the moment we were dropped off, we had a wonderful holiday experience. (Cold towels and drinks on the journey, comfy cars, and the use of I pad on the way to the hotel)

Walking in to your beautiful hotel, we were aware of a wonderful sense of peace and tranquility. The care and attention we were afforded made us feel as if we were important guests and that's the way it stayed for the week. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Wonderful! But as well as the guests, staff were so gracious to each other.

My husband had inadvertently, quite badly burned his face on our cruise before we reached Thailand. On seeing this, Alex went off and found some aloe for him, which proved very soothing. This was the typical of the standard of care we received for the duration of our stay.

We especially liked The Edge, informal, relaxing, good service and great Thai food. The idea of the all day breakfast is a brilliant one. Guests can have a very comprehensive breakfast, including sparkling wine, up until 6 pm.

We had a garden room which served us very well, spacious, clean and such a comfortable bed. I slept the nights right through, unheard of at home. Also great to have tea and coffee making in the room, as well as fresh fruit and crisp breads.

We really enjoyed our time at the beach, peaceful, relaxing and so ŵell looked after. No pressure on beds and space, regularly supplied with icy cold water. My husband really enjoyed using the kayaks and catamaran. He also had several rides out on one of the good quality bikes.

The grounds are stunning, wonderfully kept and an oasis of peace and tranquility. Also beautiful swimming pool area.

I will long remember the kindness and graciousness of Kade and the three Reception ladies waving us off, we felt as if were family.

We had a marvellous holiday and can see why there are lots of returning guests. Hopefully, in the future, we will be two of them.

2 Thank Billingirl
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

I have never been steered wrong about a hotel by Tripadvisor until I booked the Sarojin. My wife and I were so excited to relax and enjoy the beach/hotel after traveling around SE Asia. When we checked into the hotel, we were both immediately disappointed. The hotel had a very tired/brown look to the grounds. Our room was so-so with a mattress that was as hard my college dorm mattress. The bathroom/shower setup was awkward and not very well done. The pool itself is self was meh and the beach was nothing special. The service was also indifferent. This felt more like a 2-3 star hotel than a five star hotel. In addition, the prices on everything at the hotel were comical for the quality of the product/service. We were hugely dissapointed and were ready to leave.

Thanks to our travel agent, we were able to check out after the first night for almost a full refund on the remainder of our stay and switched to a five star hotel in Phuket that actually felt like a five star hotel. This was the first time we have ever changed hotels after check-in.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Travelbudsz
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed for 1 week in mid March 2014, our last visit was back in 2006, can I just say that the Sarojin has only got better. Kade and his team are remarkable in the way they look after you and nothing is too much trouble.
The hotel is beautiful, our pool residence was a lovely, clean and well equipped.. The gardens are cared for with love and the food and service is second to none.
We will return for our third time..

2 Thank NIGEL E