“This place rocks”
Review of The Sarojin

The Sarojin
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Khao Lak
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The pool is as nice as it looks in the pictures, everything is a bit pricey overall but we still loved our stay. All the food options were diverse and delicious. The beach was nice, but it doesnt have your typical thai look with limestone jutting out of the ocean, not that i really cared but worth noting. The excursions were all incredibly well run, i would highly recommend doing the Ratchapra Dam day trip. It doesnt sound all that cool on the surface but it has the same scenery as going to Phang Nga but it was practically deserted.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FrendshipAndBroadway

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights in May for the first leg of our honeymoon. The Hotel is absolutely fantastic for a complete and utter chill out holiday. The car pick up from the airport was great, ipad and music choices, complimentary beers etc. Staff are friendly and attentive. The restaurants and food were superb. A must do is the private tour of James Bond Island, it was a brilliant day. We got lucky with the weather as well, being low season we expected a lot of rain etc, but had one afternoon where it rained. If you're looking for something lively then do not come here, it's pure relaxing heaven. We will most certainly be back, couldn't fault anything.

1  Thank Paul V
Reviewed 29 May 2014

First thing that comes to mind when I reminisce about our stay at The Sarojin---their staff. My husband and I were here for the second half of our honeymoon, and we stayed here for 4 nights. We arrived in Phuket and a driver from the hotel was there to pick us up. On the way from the airport to the hotel (approximately a 1.5 hour drive), we were given cold towels, water bottles, and a menu should we decide to order dinner and have it ready by the time we get there. We get there and check-in smoothly. M (who is sweet and wonderful!!) escorted us to our room--the Sarojin suite, where we discovered that the bedroom and bathroom were "honeymooned out": The bed had towels shaped into animals. Additionally, "Happy Honeymoon" was written with what seemed like banana leaves and a big heart to fill the space for the rest of the bed. There were also other flowers and leaves of the sort, which were all aesthetically pleasing. I almost wanted to sleep on the floor as to not ruin the honeymoon décor. There was a bath drawn for us, and by bath I mean water and flowers (hotel provides lavender charcoal bath salts, which are AMAZING for the 20 mosquito bites I survived). There were also candles surrounding the edges of the bathtub, an appreciated detail to make the room seem more romantic.

For dinner, we decided to eat at one of their restaurants. While my husband ordered the potato gnocchi, I ordered the "Ravioli with Four Cheeses". Overall our food was good, however, it was just that---good. Not great, not mind-blowing...just, good. Good enough Italian food in Thailand. They did, however, provide what appeared to be homemade insect repellant, which I made great use of.

The next day, we ordered breakfast in our room (which is included with getting the suite). Breakfast was impressive! It was then time for our massage. My husband and I have had our share of massages around the world. The massage here made it to our top 5 list. Before we went in, we were given 4 massage oils to choose from, along with some tea. My masseuse, DUONG, applied the right amount of pressure and she didn't seem like she was in a hurry to massage the rest of me. To top it off, our massage was at the same time it started to rain, so that made it much more pleasant being outside (who wants to be sweating from the humidity during a massage?).

The Sarojin also provides a shuttle throughout the day that takes you to and from Khao Lak town, which has some touristy places. The shuttle is THB 100 per person one way.

We did the Ultimate Private Dining Experience by the waterfall one evening. Our driver, WUT, made the drive to the waterfall memorable. He made great conversation with his trying English (which he learned just by talking to visiting tourists), and he was super friendly! Too bad he wasn't able to drive us to the airport for our departure. We saw OPUS around the resort and he told us he'd be setting up our dinner that evening. We then saw him when we got to the waterfall that night, and there were just under 400 candles lit for my husband and me. Despite the inevitable tropical rainforest weather and everything that comes with it, dinner was beautiful. Only downside was we special ordered "Pad See Ew" because we've been on a quest for the best Pad See Ew in Thailand, even before we left for our honeymoon. We're not sure exactly why, but the odds were in our favor in everywhere BUT Thailand. Oh, the irony! Anyways, the Pad See Ew is normally made with thick/flat/wide rice noodles. Everywhere we went (California, Nevada, Australia, Florida, Hong Kong), Pad See Ew noodles were thick. For whatever reason, our special order dish was chicken fried with vermicelli noodles, literally. How our pad-see-ew translated to fried vermicelli noodles with chicken, is beyond us. I...don't even know how....whatever. Everything else was yummy. We started with the satay chicken, egg rolls, and shrimp. Our main dishes were beef, pad-see-ew, and morning glory vegetables. For dessert, I believe we ordered a cappuccino crème brulee and random assortment/arrangement of fruits. Let's just say, the ambiance and aura of the twinkling candles and sound of the waterfall (with a spotlight pointing to the waterfall) made up for the lack of quality for the food. I have to mention how great OPUS was because he was just amazing! We then were escorted back to the Sarojin and we felt special because everyone seemed to know where we came from and asked how the waterfall dinner went. No one was pushy or in-your-face, just polite, polite, polite.

I asked NANG and and JEEP for help to plan one of our days there. They called the ziplining place and made reservations for us. Also, I asked for a car and instead of ripping us off and booking a car through the hotel, NANG suggested we get a driver from outside the hotel, and so she took care of that as well. Everything that we planned together went smoothly and NANG and JEEP did a superb job, even with their limited English.

Lastly, our drive back to the airport with TLE was memorable. He was very amicable. The first part of our drive was silent, then he asked us to choose some music from the iPad. Maybe he thought the silence was deafening. Anyhow, we chose a selection and he inserted the appropriate disk in the slot. During one of the songs, the CD started to give in, assuming it was the most popular choice, resulting in numerous scratches. TLE had a plan B--to play music from the iPad. His efforts were appreciated and I respect his persistent nature to try to entertain us.

The Sarojin did not disappoint for the most part. Even though it is over an hour away from everything, the friendliness and wonders of the resort made it a pleasant stay for us, whether we were having breakfast or just lounging around in our room.

Room Tip: Room 307! Outdoor private bowl!
3  Thank Kathleen-Warfel
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the sarojin for 3 nights and had a very pleasant and comfortable stay. It is an excellent boutique resort.
Here are the positives and negatives:

Positives:
Superb luxury boutique resort. It's small and quiet with not too many people. The pool area is beautiful and very nice to chill.
The food at both restaurants was amazing! Especially the Thai restaurant.
The staff was very courteous and friendly. We stayed in the garden residence room which was very nice and comfortable. Large and spacious bathroom

Negatives:
ANTS!! Too many ants. Ants on the table while eating at both restaurants. Ants on the side tables near the pool. It was a bit disturbing and annoying to have to keep wiping them away every time.

The landscaping is nice and green but the ponds -both the lotus pond and the one around the restaurant seemed quite dirty and were an eyesore.

Staff communication- while the staff was mostly very courteous and helpful they had some communication issues.
When we checked in we were told that we are being upgraded to a better category room. When we were taken to the room it wasn't the upgraded one. When we asked them they said "oh our manager made a mistake and you are not being upgraded. "

We had originally booked the hotel car for the airport transfer. We later called and changed it to the local taxi. A few minute later the front desk called and asked if I was changing the airport transfer because of the price difference! I was quite shocked and thought it rather rude for them to ask that.

Other than this we had a wonderful stay at the Sarojin and will definitely recommend it.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vishad
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I spent five nights at the Sarojin in May 2014, for the second week (“luxury phase”) of our honeymoon. Overall, we found the Sarojin to be a great hotel. Our stay was not without its ups and downs, particularly in the first impressions. It’s worth noting that we’d already been in-country long enough to grok that in Thailand a beautiful hotel with great staff costs about 50 USD per night, and a large, high quality (non-alcoholic) meal can be had for 10 USD. Now, we are not picky or entitled people in any way, but given that the Sarojin cost about as much per night as our first resort did for a week, it had a tall mountain to climb to demonstrate good value to us.

The Sarojin car arrived on time at the pick-up point and was a great first point of contact. The car was nice, with an iPad in the seat pocket that had a music selection and info about the hotel and the excursions to read up on during the trip. Our driver was very friendly, helped improve our atrocious Thai pronunciation, and made sure we knew that there were cold towels and complimentary beer/water/soda available in his cooler. Six stars for the driver, very much in line with our expectations of the hotel.

My misgivings began when we arrived and first laid eyes on the property. We were sat down on a comfy couch to do check-in paperwork with a full view of the grounds, and my very first thought was “uh oh”. The general impression was more of a run-down golf course than a jungle paradise, with browning grass, tired and ragged plants and murky pond water. There was also noisy construction going on just to our left. I did take note later in the day when someone mentioned that there had been some bad weather lately, which probably didn’t help the appearance. And this was the off-season. Still – it’s time for a general sprucing up of the décor.

Our room (garden residence) was awesome. Lovely interior decoration, attractive layout, big desk, two showers and a large tub. They had also made a cute “happy honeymoon” picture with leaves on the bed and had drawn a bath with floating flowers and candles nearby ready to be lit. The bed was very comfortable. The room was and remained one of the nicest things about the hotel. However, I had to spend the first twenty minutes in there chasing down a dozen flying insects with a paper towel. It was as if they had left the door wide open while preparing the room. Of course that was silly – who would do that in Thailand? – but the next day we came back early from a trip and found that housekeeping had in fact propped the door open and simply wandered off to get something. That time we gained three small lizards as roommates in addition to new bugs (we actually let them stay on as pest control).

Next stop was the activities hut to book a full schedule of excursions and classes, quickly accomplished through a nice guy at the desk. Then we went to the beach, which was a surprising letdown. The beach is very pretty to look at (white sand, sun, long sweep of bay to admire). We rapidly realized though that it isn’t much good for swimming. There were a lot of jellyfish swept up on the sand, and it took all of two minutes in the water for me to get stung on the ankle. We’d also read about common riptide currents in May. So much for getting in the water. Next we tried the traditional sunset walk. We saw lots of birds and scuttling hermit crabs – which was great – but we also had to deal with stray dogs investigating us, including one big beast with heavy jaws and red eyes. Stray dogs are part of the landscape in Thailand, but when you have no shoes on and there are no sticks, stones or other people in sight you are way too vulnerable to a wild dog. So much for walking.

Granted, the 50 yards or so in front of the Sarojin itself is clean and safe and has security standing by to keep it that way. They aren’t responsible for the rest of the area. But it’s worth knowing in advance that the beach isn’t good for much more than a view from a sunbed.

When we got back and looked for dinner we got our last unpleasant surprise of the day. The food at the Sarojin restaurants, while extremely good, is also extremely expensive. And in May the surrounding restaurants are closed, leaving no option but to spend a minimum of 50-60 USD on a fancy meal that wasn’t THAT much better than what we’d been eating up to that point. As we went to bed that night the thought was starting to creep into my mind that we might have made a serious mistake investing the bulk of our honeymoon funds in this place.

However, I am glad to say that our experience improved significantly the next morning, and remained excellent for the rest of our stay. Breakfast is an all-you-can-eat a la carte deal included in the price, and the food was superb. Big selection of all kinds of foods and drinks, all of it great. My wife was delighted with a stack of French toast and waffles in front of her mocha and champagne. I found the egg dishes and pastries to be top notch as well.

We really began to interact with the staff at that point, and they were, without exception, awesome. Everyone from desk staff to waiters to excursion guides to gardeners were polite, genuinely friendly, and wanted to make sure that we were having a great time.
The pool is amazing; exactly as nice as it looks in the website pictures, and both deep and long enough to have a good swim. Along with rest of the grounds it is breathtakingly pretty at night when the floodlights come on.

We had our honeymoon package extras that day, which were a couples massage at the spa and a romantic waterfall dinner for two. Both of these were the kind of lifetime-memory-creating experiences that honeymoons are supposed to be made of. The waterfall is a short drive away, and the Sarojin takes you, a waiter, a chef and two assistants out there and caters the entire thing. There were upwards of three hundred candles lit in the area, the food was marvelous and the waterfall setting incredibly beautiful. The spa experience was nice enough to make me finally understand why anyone would go to a hotel in a foreign country and then spend the whole day getting hundreds of dollars’ worth of treatments in-house. In fact, I could happily live there forever under the expert care of Deng and Apple.

The staff also shined at coordination during all our activities – everyone knew where we were, what we had planned, and when we’d be out. Housekeeping came in our absence and evening turndown service always included an info packet about the next day’s trip. When we returned from the waterfall dinner the room had been spruced up, lights dimmed and candles lit around the bath. When we got back hot and sweaty one day from exploring the local area on the Sarojin’s free-to-ride bikes we were met at the gate with cold towels and water. Little things that went a long way in our minds.

The excursions are expensive but worth it. We did the Khao Sok jungle canoe/elephant ride, the Phang Nga longboat tour, the Thai cooking lesson and the massage lesson, all for about 1,500 USD. The private excursions were handled by personal tour guides who take care of every detail and comfort for you, including setting up a gourmet lunch packed by the Sarojin kitchens. They were also super friendly people that we liked very much. The cooking and massage lessons were wonderful experiences catered by great people, and well worth the price. Khao Sok was a pretty good day and the longboat tour of Phang Nga was amazing. I recommend paying extra for Sarojin tours vs. the local village tours if you can – five stars for the excursions.

There was one rather irritating moment towards the end of the trip. Every hotel, resort and corner laundry in Thailand will wash and fold tourist’s clothes for a standard 40 THB/kilo, meaning a week’s load for a couple costs about 7 USD. The Sarojin has a list of fantastical itemized charges per item, such as 5 USD for a t-shirt, 3 USD for underwear and 2 USD for “sock”. Not for drycleaning, but for laundering – I checked. We had run out of clean clothes and it would have cost about 150 USD to have the Sarojin launder our basket (if we generously assume that they meant a PAIR of socks for two dollars).

Now, maybe there’s something special about their laundry service to justify this. Maybe they take each individual item to their spa, give it a backrub and a mojito, and have it washed in imported spring water by highly trained monkey butlers. But if all they’re doing is putting them through a wash/dry cycle and folding them then charging a 2000% markup to a captive market is unwarranted. I wound up scrubbing my own laundry in the bathtub on the last day – a faintly ridiculous situation when staying at a luxury hotel in Thailand.

On the plus side, the front desk knew that our return flight didn’t leave until midnight on the evening of our checkout, and so they offered to let us stay in the room until 6pm instead of noon. That gesture earned them their fifth star in the balance.

Overall the Sarojin was a great honeymoon experience. The staff were fantastic, the activities wonderful and the memories quite unforgettable. We’ve already decided to come back again for our five year anniversary – I just hope their laundry prices have come down to Earth by then!

Room Tip: We only saw the cheapest room - a garden residence - but it was plenty awesome enough for us! Wouldn...
3  Thank Chris T
Reviewed 27 May 2014

If you choose Khao Lak, sure there is no better alternative. This resort is a human scale one, you will feel confortable immediately, you will enjoy every part of it, garden, pool, beach, restaurants, food and of course the excellent service!
Breakfast is a must, the a la carte menu will make you start the day no better way.

If you want to ride excursions, they are pro and you will discover still some hide away parts of Thailande. We have booked many and we enjoyed them all, specially the Lady Sarojin boat to islands! Go and simply enjoy.

Room Tip: room with private plunge pool
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank fabrice b
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Recently had three night at The Sarojin. The resort is spectacular..beautiful rooms, fantastic amenities. Breakfast was the best ever, especially loved the glass of bubbly and food cooked to order. The staff were so attentive and helpful, but not in your face. Had a mix up with our booking but it was sorted out promptly and we were upgraded to a suite. Had the seafood bbq on the beach which was fantastic, although pretty pricey. One little problem, the airconditioning was very noisy and didn't cool the room too well. Also it was very bright in the room early in the morning as the bathroom/bedroom area is so open and no way to block out. Overall the best hotel I have stayed at. Will definitely be back.