“Customer Service”

The Sarojin
Ranked #2 of 68 Hotels in Khao Lak
“Customer Service”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I am writing this review not on my experience stayin here but rather because of the way they helped me in a difficult situation. It was my wedding day and I had booked the Sarojin two months prior. I was put on restriction by the DoA and could not travel to Thailand. I contacted the Sarojin immediately on my wedding day to inform them I had to cancel. They were initially a little confused with my situation but eventually understood that it was impossible for me to travel to Thailand at that time and completely reimbursed my payment with no penalty. I was forced to change my trip one day before our honeymoon but since they helped me with this issue I was able to afford a fantastic honeymoon in Bali. All that being said I will go to The Sarojin as soon as I am able to and show them the same loyalty I was shown. Thank you for the understanding and care taken.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ryan P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Report on stay at Sarojin - Khao Lak Thailand 11-15 April, 2014

Stayed 4 nights in a Pool Residence Villa as a western couple although resident in Thailand ( Bangkok ).

Pick up at Phuket airport was as expected, the driver was polite, spoke excellent English and provided, cool wet towels and drinks. Also handed an iPad with all details to catch up on i.e. resort activities, menu's of each restaurant, lunch and evening etc.

Choice of vehicle (Ford Everest) felt a little small and confined, but otherwise was smooth.

Arrival and check in at the resort around midday went smoothly.

There is a small gym and library that lend out books and dvd's but the choice is very limited and the stock is dated - room for improvement here.

The staff are all very polite and friendly and well spoken.

The pool villa is well equipped and appears roomy however the shower/bath area is spolit with a large area covered in with beach pebbles - this is an area that takes up approx a third of the total space and in my view a complete waste of space and could have definitely been better designed by extending the living area. It also loses its aspect of cleanliness over time - bad choice.

There is very little to choose from in terms of complementaries from the mini bar with the exception of plain water and dry sesame seed crisps. There is a selection of wine on offer but at factor 3 of what one would pay back at the super in Bangkok so in all a little disappointing at this price tag per night/per room - bring your prices down to acceptable levels and expect more turnover.

The pool at the villa is just a dip pool to cool off so do'nt expect to break olympic records here, but that was expected. There is an outside sala equipped with lounge matrasses but no overhead fan so it does get quite stuffy - room for improvement here.

There is a reasonable degree of privacy around the villa.

The choice of resto's is limited to two establishments -

1. The Edge which is a beachside outside (but partly covered) area for informal bites and drinks and could do with a facelift as appears dated - improvement here. It is average for lunchtime bites and is primarily Thai cuisine. If one orders a western dish then this has to be hand carried from the other restaurant some 100 mt away. One thing to be aware of is that we noticed that the food carried over to The Edge is not always covered over, so a little bit of a hygiene issue here if that worries you - room for improvement here. The Thai food in the evening is of good authentic quality but the waiting time is long before the order does arrive, which is very unusual for Thai cuisine to take so long to be served. It is also very dark and thus difficult to see what you are actually eating - this point needs some thought to improve on.

2. Ficus on the other hand is a more formal dining area but not of an exceptional high quality. The outside area is under an old Banyan tree so expect a lot of bits n pieces falling out, although this is partly protected by parasols. There is an all day a la carte breakfast service here but the quality is fairly average and certainly does not excel and the menu primarily consists of egg dishes. The dining area has no airco and only three overhead fans that are far from sufficient to provide cooling in a 35 C + climate. The restrooms on the other hand have airco blasting out all day so this seems kind of distorted - investment in cooling the area down would be a big improvement for overall comfort. The knives BTW are very blunt and hardly cut through croissants, if you intend to slash your wrists, then don't eat here. The setting in the evening is similar. Dining outside in the evening is dark and does not have my certificate of excellence when one needs a torch plus 1-2 table lights to view the menu not to mention the food that is served, sometimes tricky to see what one is actually eating. The overall ambience is dark with lots of indirect lighting that does provide a romantic atmosphere. We had the pleasure of a complimentary 3 course meal in our hotel package which was the standard set menu that one could chose from but water and wine were considered as extra's. One would expect for the minor costs associated with serving water and one or two glasses of wine that this would be no major hurdle for the Sarojin managemnt to cross. It was not to be and thus somewhat a disapointment - invest in making this package more complete to give the guests something to remember.

The main pool area is nicely set and surrounded by a number of sala type platforms with drapes and is quite intimate but beware of the sun glaring through the filtered roof. Elsewhere there are plenty of sun loungers with parasols. The garden setting is quite nice. Guests are served free iced drinking water. Don't expect cool towels or complimentary fruit or other types of beverage (coffee / tea) as they are not served (at least not during my stay, although I am led to believe that water melon is served, so there appears to be an inconsistency) which to me is a dissapointment for the price tag one has to pay - invest in these complimentaries as they cost next to nothing and improve the overall guest satisfaction no end and manage the element of consistency.

I have mentioned the feature of complimentaries a few times but would like to stress that one of the points that irritate me no end (especially at this type of high end resort) is the numerous amount of chitties that have to be signed each time a beverage or snack is served. The Sarojin Mgt. must also consider the admin burden in having to cover all this paperwork when life can be much simpler - make it all accessible and improve your guest comfort and satisfaction.

The Spa treatment was wonderful we both enjoyed a complimentary head, neck and shoulder massage (30 minutes) and later we took on the Oil Aroma Massage and Foot Reflexology Massage (2 hour package) which was'nt cheap compared to Bangkok standards but was very good and memorable. The service provided by the ladies here was excellent and highly recommendable.

All in all an excellent resort, in a beautiful garden setting albeit a little remote ( approx 15 mins drive to the village of Khao Lak) but no big issue, that is one of the reasons we came here for, to be far away from the maddening crowds and hustling traffic of Bangkok.

For me a rating of 8/10 would apply with consideration of a number of improvement area's to get to 5 star status.

Lemon & Melon

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ramie J
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I choose Sarojin basically because of all the reviews here and because after calculating all the prices of the 5 stars resorts, I find that Sarojin offers the best experience for the lowest price.
The resort is very nice, very peaceful and the grounds are well kept. What I like about Sarojin was that they did a lot of small little gestures that made the room very nice. Like for example, giving you a bucket of ice after you return for your wine etc, the bathroom is simply AMAZING. I like how it resonances with nature and yet gives you a very comfortable experience. Some bathrooms i stay like four seasons singapore is very good, but it doesnt give you the X factor if you get what i meant.

Also, breakfast is simply amazing with the quality of food and the presentation. For all the days here, i ate outside for dinner and it was simply amazing, go outside, you find that the food is much cheaper and of same quality or not even better.

There's also reports of tours by sarojin that is very expensive, so i did a local tour by Khao Lak vista and it is amazing and safe given the price. It is true that theres a lot of expensive things in khao lak but you can do all those things outside, pay the expensive stuff for the room and service in Sarojin ...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MatthewMak
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My partner and I have visited Thailand on 8 different occasions and have stayed in several 4-5 star resorts in the Khoa Lak area including the Ramada, La Flora & Merlin Beach. The Sarojin is a cut above them all, however its not cheap. It's simple you pay for what you get.

Don't be put off by any reviews that mention issues with mozzies, lizards, bugs, jellyfish, dogs, cats,ants, snakes, frogs or ponds with mirky water. Its the same all over Thailand. Resorts can't control nature, even if its 5 star.

At the Sarojin you do pay a premium price for Food, activities, taxi etc and you could find cheaper, however it will won't deliver the same luxury service.

Positives & Hints:

- Airport Transfer; Complimentary drinks ( Don't bother with local taxi unless you are really trying to save money)

- Laundry - Yep, its not cheap. All over Thailand you will find shops offering laundry service. I always use them normally 80-100 baht per kilo. Never had an issue. Grab a bike and go for a ride back towards the 7/11 on main road a couple of laundry's along the way . Also the hotel next door (The Kantary)has a laundrette and a minimart just follow the signs from the beach.

- Mini Bar - Prices are reasonable. However remember there is a minimart next door. The 7/11 is also just a a short bike ride away, if you go to the night market or into Khoa lak town just stockup.

- Restaurants - Excellent food & Service - In low season many of the local restaurants are closed however there are a few alternatives. The Kantary has a reasonable restaurant, there is also a local Thai restaurant outside the main gates of the Kantary. We mixed it up as we stayed 18 nights.

- Pool - Excellent; Plenty of shaded pool lounges, free ice water. NOT CROWDED & no kids.

- Breakfast - Fantastic- I gained weight just coz of the breakfasts. Don't be shy order whatever, and as much as you like. Its not a gimmick. Beats buffet model hands down. Sleep in, go for a swim and then have brunch. Lots of people eating breakfast at 1, 2 or even 3 pm.

- Rooms - Excellent; Great turndown service, fresh fruit daily, ground coffee, fast free wifi, great AC. We stayed in a Garden and a private pool room. There is free cable TV with enough variety to keep you entertained in the evenings or on rainy days.

- Beach - Excellent - Don't mind the dogs they only appear early mornings and evenings, just too hot during the day. Never pat or interact with them. I know its hard if your a animal lover but would you pat a stray dog in your home country? They will approach you but they won't get to close. If they follow you along the beach just ignore them and enjoy your walk. They never enter the resort as they know the rules or maybe they can read the guests only sign!

- Staff- Excellent, friendly, efficient, happy, engaging but NOT in your face. I'm not sure why some reviews state that staff were pushy. Never once were we given a hard sell to book a activity or dinner.

Are there Negatives ? - well that depends on whats important to you. Its a 300 baht taxi ride to khao lak bars and restaurants so if you want a Kuta, Ibiza, Myknos or Patong style holiday this is not the place for you.

Would I recommend this hotel to family and friends - ABSOLUTELY

9 Thank shawn73
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The pool is as nice as it looks in the pictures, everything is a bit pricey overall but we still loved our stay. All the food options were diverse and delicious. The beach was nice, but it doesnt have your typical thai look with limestone jutting out of the ocean, not that i really cared but worth noting. The excursions were all incredibly well run, i would highly recommend doing the Ratchapra Dam day trip. It doesnt sound all that cool on the surface but it has the same scenery as going to Phang Nga but it was practically deserted.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FrendshipAndBroadway
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights in May for the first leg of our honeymoon. The Hotel is absolutely fantastic for a complete and utter chill out holiday. The car pick up from the airport was great, ipad and music choices, complimentary beers etc. Staff are friendly and attentive. The restaurants and food were superb. A must do is the private tour of James Bond Island, it was a brilliant day. We got lucky with the weather as well, being low season we expected a lot of rain etc, but had one afternoon where it rained. If you're looking for something lively then do not come here, it's pure relaxing heaven. We will most certainly be back, couldn't fault anything.

1 Thank Paul V
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

First thing that comes to mind when I reminisce about our stay at The Sarojin---their staff. My husband and I were here for the second half of our honeymoon, and we stayed here for 4 nights. We arrived in Phuket and a driver from the hotel was there to pick us up. On the way from the airport to the hotel (approximately a 1.5 hour drive), we were given cold towels, water bottles, and a menu should we decide to order dinner and have it ready by the time we get there. We get there and check-in smoothly. M (who is sweet and wonderful!!) escorted us to our room--the Sarojin suite, where we discovered that the bedroom and bathroom were "honeymooned out": The bed had towels shaped into animals. Additionally, "Happy Honeymoon" was written with what seemed like banana leaves and a big heart to fill the space for the rest of the bed. There were also other flowers and leaves of the sort, which were all aesthetically pleasing. I almost wanted to sleep on the floor as to not ruin the honeymoon décor. There was a bath drawn for us, and by bath I mean water and flowers (hotel provides lavender charcoal bath salts, which are AMAZING for the 20 mosquito bites I survived). There were also candles surrounding the edges of the bathtub, an appreciated detail to make the room seem more romantic.

For dinner, we decided to eat at one of their restaurants. While my husband ordered the potato gnocchi, I ordered the "Ravioli with Four Cheeses". Overall our food was good, however, it was just that---good. Not great, not mind-blowing...just, good. Good enough Italian food in Thailand. They did, however, provide what appeared to be homemade insect repellant, which I made great use of.

The next day, we ordered breakfast in our room (which is included with getting the suite). Breakfast was impressive! It was then time for our massage. My husband and I have had our share of massages around the world. The massage here made it to our top 5 list. Before we went in, we were given 4 massage oils to choose from, along with some tea. My masseuse, DUONG, applied the right amount of pressure and she didn't seem like she was in a hurry to massage the rest of me. To top it off, our massage was at the same time it started to rain, so that made it much more pleasant being outside (who wants to be sweating from the humidity during a massage?).

The Sarojin also provides a shuttle throughout the day that takes you to and from Khao Lak town, which has some touristy places. The shuttle is THB 100 per person one way.

We did the Ultimate Private Dining Experience by the waterfall one evening. Our driver, WUT, made the drive to the waterfall memorable. He made great conversation with his trying English (which he learned just by talking to visiting tourists), and he was super friendly! Too bad he wasn't able to drive us to the airport for our departure. We saw OPUS around the resort and he told us he'd be setting up our dinner that evening. We then saw him when we got to the waterfall that night, and there were just under 400 candles lit for my husband and me. Despite the inevitable tropical rainforest weather and everything that comes with it, dinner was beautiful. Only downside was we special ordered "Pad See Ew" because we've been on a quest for the best Pad See Ew in Thailand, even before we left for our honeymoon. We're not sure exactly why, but the odds were in our favor in everywhere BUT Thailand. Oh, the irony! Anyways, the Pad See Ew is normally made with thick/flat/wide rice noodles. Everywhere we went (California, Nevada, Australia, Florida, Hong Kong), Pad See Ew noodles were thick. For whatever reason, our special order dish was chicken fried with vermicelli noodles, literally. How our pad-see-ew translated to fried vermicelli noodles with chicken, is beyond us. I...don't even know how....whatever. Everything else was yummy. We started with the satay chicken, egg rolls, and shrimp. Our main dishes were beef, pad-see-ew, and morning glory vegetables. For dessert, I believe we ordered a cappuccino crème brulee and random assortment/arrangement of fruits. Let's just say, the ambiance and aura of the twinkling candles and sound of the waterfall (with a spotlight pointing to the waterfall) made up for the lack of quality for the food. I have to mention how great OPUS was because he was just amazing! We then were escorted back to the Sarojin and we felt special because everyone seemed to know where we came from and asked how the waterfall dinner went. No one was pushy or in-your-face, just polite, polite, polite.

I asked NANG and and JEEP for help to plan one of our days there. They called the ziplining place and made reservations for us. Also, I asked for a car and instead of ripping us off and booking a car through the hotel, NANG suggested we get a driver from outside the hotel, and so she took care of that as well. Everything that we planned together went smoothly and NANG and JEEP did a superb job, even with their limited English.

Lastly, our drive back to the airport with TLE was memorable. He was very amicable. The first part of our drive was silent, then he asked us to choose some music from the iPad. Maybe he thought the silence was deafening. Anyhow, we chose a selection and he inserted the appropriate disk in the slot. During one of the songs, the CD started to give in, assuming it was the most popular choice, resulting in numerous scratches. TLE had a plan B--to play music from the iPad. His efforts were appreciated and I respect his persistent nature to try to entertain us.

The Sarojin did not disappoint for the most part. Even though it is over an hour away from everything, the friendliness and wonders of the resort made it a pleasant stay for us, whether we were having breakfast or just lounging around in our room.

Room Tip: Room 307! Outdoor private bowl!