“Absolutely Fantastic”

Ramada Khao Lak Resort
Ranked #4 of 70 Hotels in Khao Lak
Reviewed 28 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
GMRamadaKhaolak, General Manager at Ramada Khao Lak Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Write a ReviewReviews (2,040)

Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

We have travelled extensively as a family and as a couple previously. We have never returned anywhere ... Except here! In fact this was our third visit in 4 summers and it is a good base to combine with krabi or elsewhere from Phuket, we combined with Borneo this time. It's a super spot and with very very personable staff who always go out of their way to welcome you, help you etc, whether in the desk, like Jee or at the pool, like Toh and co. The hotel also tries to be accommodating of any dietary requirements and Chart and colleague also made special morning pancake/ omelettes for our daughter who otherwise could only have eaten fruit there. The hotel also froze food on arrival for us to take on leaving which is a big help. Our daughter adores this hotel, is clamouring to return and we are starting to joke maybe she can have her wedding/ honeymoon there! She is determined to return.

Breakfast is an excellent range of both Asian and European type foods, as is expected in a buffet. Always a high standard of food amd hygiene though this time the Asian hot rice/ noodle dishes were slightly cool/ lukewarm than previously. I generally like hot stuff but that's me!

The rooms are very clean, modern, spacious and the entire resort is well maintained throughout. Prices are reasonable to eat/ drink and there are many places within walking distance , again of a reasonable standard.

We were sad that local beach bars are closing with the change in army/ political governance and no doubt previous visitors will have enjoyed Tonson , popular with hotel visitors by its proximity and cost and low key beach dining us closing but reopening up from Pinocchio's Italian.

You can take good quality bikes from reception, definitely worth
doing. The police boat 813 and tsunami museum are both nearby on the main road to walk to and are sobering to see, we have been before but wanted to go again as it's 10 years this boxing day.

All in all a fantastic hotel and a great place to visit. Don't be put off by the rainy season. It rained a little most days but just a couple hours. Otherwise it was hot and often sunny. The hotel also does a weekly snacks/ drinks social to meet the staff and manager. We enjoyed this. Thanks to you all, hope to return when we have saved up again!!

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Louise

Sunny Greetings from the Ramada Khao Lak Resort.
We sincerely thank you that you have chosen our resort and appreciate your feedback here on TA. It is great to hear that you have once again enjoyed our facilities and services. We are happy to read that we could accommodate your daughters dietary requests.
The entire Ramada Khao Lak team and myself hope to welcome you back for a next time.

Welcome Back!

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We purchased this hotel through deals.com.au and received a great price and package.
We had a very long drive from Patong and our driver had trouble locating the hotel due to poor signage.
Check in was slow, even though I had reconfirmed our booking the week before. We were then sent to the wrong room. I know these things happen, but we were very tired, and hungry after a days travel. The room was very nice and had a great view of the gardens and pool area. It was a nice size and I appreciated the fact I could order my own pillow. The lighting wasn't the best at night and I found it hard to read. The air conditioner was quite loud at night, but I've experienced that in every hotel I've ever stayed in. The turn down service was a really nice touch and much appreciated.
We went for a walk, the grounds were very beautiful and the ambience was idyllic and serene. After staying at large resorts, I was glad this was small. The pool and beach were very beautiful.
We tried to connect to wifi to let our family back home know we were safe. NO WIFI. The wifi didn't work the duration of our stay. We could connect at times, but not enough to use Facebook, viber or the internet. We advised reception many times and we did have IT staff visit our room, but nothing changed. This alone would be enough for us not to return.
We then thought we'd use one of our massage vouchers, we got 7 in our package. WORST massage we've ever had, I'm sure the ladies had never massaged before. It was that bad we decided to forfeit the rest of our vouchers and pay to have our massages outside the hotel.
Breakfast buffet was very nice, everything you could want of a buffet, and the staff were very nice, especially the chef who cooked the eggs.
The pool bar was also very nice as were the staff, couldn't fault the pool or beach area except for the smoking.

We decided to try one if the buffet theme nights, the BBQ buffet with dessert and salad bar. This was very disappointing compared to other buffets, especially the dessert bar, there were 3 platters each of dragon fruit, rock melon and another Thai fruit, and a sweetened pumpkin? We had to pay extra and order dessert off the alacarte menu. Luckily we had vouchers and didn't have to pay full price.
Our vouchers also entitled us to afternoon tea at the cafe. The staff made beautiful coffee, but the desserts were inedible and consisted of little cakes, highly manufactured and of little taste
We chose to escape the cold back home to come to Thailand but unfortunately it's wet season here and it rained a lot of the time. The temperature was still very pleasant but there wasn't much to do, especially with no internet. We tried hiring a DVD but that was in German. We couldn't get English subtitles up as the DVD player was set to German as well. We couldn't operate our USB stick as all the instructions were German, and that got quite frustrating. Most of the town was closed due to it being low season so there just wasn't much to do at all.
I also felt that the hotel was a 'mini Germany' it had a very strong German influence, I sort of felt out of place at times being Australian and not German.
So overall, the staff and hotel were nice, but probably too many downsides for me to return again. Not just the hotel, but Khao Lak as well. If you were to come in the high season and only wanted to relax by the pool or beach, then perhaps it would be okay.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Vanessa and Julian

Greetings to Down Under.
Thank you for your review and stay in our hotel. It is unfortunate to read that you encountered some issues during your stay and we could not live up to your expectations.
In addition to my email I sent you personally (which you already replied to, thank you for that), here some further comments from our end.
Two signage indicating our resort are on the main road pointing to our hotel, perhaps we could add one more signage. It takes 70-90 Minutes from the airport to our resort, as you came through Patong it will take up to 2 hrs.
You did reconfirm the booking but the reconfirmation did not mention of a king size bed, around your period when the resort was getting full in your category you have been assigned a Twin room. We understand the issue and our team normally assigns a kingsize bed room for couples in advance, we are sorry for that. As per our team it took no longer then 15 Minutes for the changed.
For your case our IT has moved a separate Access point to close to your location and mounted it to close proximity of your room, he serviced your room on two days where the dB strength was average, we will further investigate this and I apologize that this essential service for you was not available. We have 3 PC terminals in the Cafe which is free to use all day as well.
In regards to the SPA, Your husband mentioned that the pressure is "okay" during the treatment, if there has been any areas to be focused on during treatment it can be informed to our therapists during your treatment or before that. Oil Massage was not part of your package unfortunately but can be amended to or combined with your overall package you have booked.
I am sorry that you were not happy with this treatment at the SPA and I hope we can make it better next time.
We note your improvement areas to the BBQ and we will retrain our Team and review the menus. Thank you for that.
All DVDs are in both German and English. they have to be bought in Germany as otherwise this language will not be included on the DVD, the player has a guide in both languages and it was present in your room when checked, the player had an issue and we change it to a new one. I apologize for this.
Germany is our main market and thus needs to have some supportive collateral and assistance and during your stay we had in average 2/3 Australians in our hotel of our occupied rooms.
Once again I apologize for your issues you have experienced, I know that those days of heavy rain did not help to make it better.
The entire Ramada Khao Lak team and myself hope to welcome you back in the future, please let me know in advance and I will be delighted to make this stay a memorable one.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

This was our second visit to the Ramada. The welcome at reception and the special message in our room was very touching. Jee, who is Guest Services Manager, speaks very good English and is willing to help in any way she can. Once again we stayed in a Jacuzzi room which is very spacious and has the extra comfort of a sofa and also a daybed on the balcony. The rooms are very clean and serviced daily by a team of very cheerful staff. The grounds are very attractive and peaceful. The sun beds are comfortable and Toh and his team of beach staff are very attentive and helpful.
The selection of food at breakfast is very extensive and should suit all tastes. The Mellow Bean is a great place for coffee where, during our stay, Aui and Rat produced some really artistic cappuccinos.
There is a large variety of restaurants within walking distance. Some of our favourites included Loma and Siam which had both Thai and western food. There is a local market several days a week where you can buy food, clothes and gifts. It is also very cheap to visit Khao Lak Town which is only 10 mins ride away - there are more shops and restaurants there.
Locally there is an interesting crazy golf which is a bit like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. It is quite expensive unless you haggle on the price and if you go in the evening take some insect repellent.
For those interested in diving, there are plenty of dive shops and you can also get trips to James Bond Island etc

All the staff at the Ramada are so friendly and helpful it is just a very relaxing place to stay. We have already booked again and cannot wait till we are once again at the Ramada Khao Lak - "Home from Home".

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank db9vantage
GMRamadaKhaolak, General Manager at Ramada Khao Lak Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Derek and Denise
Thank you for your positive review and it was nice to have you back at our resort.
We appreciate your comments and our team will be happy to read them. We are pleased that hear that we once again could live up to your expectations for a second time.

We look forward to your next stay, Best wishes from your Ramada team
Stephan

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Staff are wonderful, particularly Nam, all are considerate and helpful; resort is right on the beach, with a pool suitable for games and indulging in Happy two hours of an afternoon; facilities are top class, had an amazing time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
GMRamadaKhaolak, General Manager at Ramada Khao Lak Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Anne

We appreciate your feedback here on TA and it is great to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and services, Khun Nam will be happy to read your comments.
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Simply best hotel I've ever stayed in the best Location! A big thanks to Mr. Stephan Fassler who gave me a full support to make my 1st anniversary very special in an amazing Jacuzi Room althought I didn't met him , but I will for sure in my second trip there. I never felt I want to come back to any place ever as I felt while leaving ramada khao lak resort. this resort is the best choice to spend a great holiday far from the city. you can have fun and enjoy even if the weather is horrible believe me. Taking a bike ride around the hotel was great.i only stayed 2 nights and most of the shops owner around the hotel know me now. the worst thing I did is that I only booked for 2 nights. but I am quite sure I will come here again to stay more and more.

the resort staff were so kind and helpful. the breakfast was marvelous with a lot of choices and good quality. heavy rain cannot stop you from swimming in a great pool. The food and the atmosphere was great too.
Also Many restaurants are nearby by short walking at night or bike ride during the day .

I have tried more than 15 hotels in different countries, Simply this is the Best.

THANK you Mr. Stephan. Thank you Ramada Khao lak staff. SEE YOU AGAIN:)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Bil and Family, As-Salaam-Alaikum

Thank you for your review here on TA and its great to read that you and your partner, and your parents, could relax well at our resort. It is with pleasure to read that our team took good care of you and that you had a great time exploring our resort and the area.

We hope to welcome you back soon in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We miss Ramada and the amazing people we have met there. From the time we arrived we were treated like royals, the staff are amazing the pool boys could not do enough for us AMAZING. When it rained they provided shelter for us in the pool bar, whilst they stood out in the rain. They treated our children so kindly, our son would not leave them alone, he adored them all, they played soccer with the children. Massages daily, fantastic so relaxing. Wonderful breakfast each mornng. Highly recommend this resort to everyone. We Will be back. Amazing entertainment, Coco and Joy are amazing. The local people are so kind. Can't wait to return. So much to do around, but we didnt want to leave the beautiful pool and beach. We will be back next year. We miss you all.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rachael M

Dear Rachael and Family

Sunny Greetings to Down Under.
We thank you that you and your family have chosen our resort.
We very much appreciate your positive feedback and it is great to hear that you have enjoyed our facilities and services, especially the pool service.

The entire Ramada Khao Lak team and myself hope to welcome you back soon.
Your Host