“Definitely not as advertised!! Total dump!!”
Review of Or-rawarn Resort

Or-rawarn Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Surat Thani
Or-rawarn Resort
Ranked #37 of 50 Hotels in Surat Thani
Frankfurt, Germany
“Definitely not as advertised!! Total dump!!”
Reviewed 1 September 2012

The brochure makes this place look like a nice beach front resort with quiet little bungalows.

The reality is somewhat different. I booked 5 days in a room with a fan. I don't mind not having air-conditioning. What I do mind is having a filthy room that smells like something crawled into it and died. I checked out the bathroom to find ants all over the place. The bathroom sink was absolutely filthy and only had a trickle of water that was on constantly. The lime scale encrusted shower head produced no water when you turned it on. When I complained the staff offered to spray some bug spray in the bathroom and then went to turn the water on. He did nothing about the sink and never came back with the bug spray after he turned the water on.

The communal area is definitely the same room as in the photo on the brochure but the photo must have been taken years ago. All the seating cushions were filthy and worn out and most of the communal area was covered in the toys from the owner's children and the owner's mother was asleep in the middle of the floor. The place was not anywhere that you wanted to spend any amount of time.

I only just got here and I can tell you that I will be spending the afternoon looking for somewhere else to stay for the next 5 days. Whether I can get my money back or not, which I doubt I will, I'm not staying in this ant infested flea pit.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Arrived in Koh Phangan a few nights before the full moon party, had some bad luck with some accommo but eventually booked this resort via Agoda. The location is pretty good with easy access to the town side as well as a 15-25 min songtaew ride to Haad Rin. You are also only just a 2 minute walk from the main road with everything you need close by (bikes, food, booking agencies). The room was outdated but realistically I was too busy adventuring to worry about that, if you're looking for a luxury resort this is not for you but the bar and restaurant were more than sufficient. It also has a great atmosphere with most guests happily mingling, I would definitly go back. Lastly, my mate and I found the staff really friendly and easy going and they even let us take control of both mp3 player and tv remote (couldn't miss the rugby).

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We were also ripped off by a travel agency in Bangkok who we booked this disgrace of an accommodation with. It is a total scam.
We were supposed to be collected from the boat but after an hour of waiting still nothing.
Eventually when we got there the rooms were a total disgrace. The staff were rude and horrible. We met another Irish couple who had been ripped off by the same travel agency.
We asked if we could use the phone to call the tourism police but they would not let us. This place was so manky that we left after the second night and went to stay in a proper hotel.
Warning to all - stay away from this place - it is horrible!

• Stayed March 2011

Travellers are raving about these Surat Thani hotels

El Paso County, Colorado
Reviewed 18 April 2010

Thanks to a dodgy travel agent in Bangkok I ended up in this dump, where I had to ask for both a clean sheet and cockroach spray. Ninja the Swindla at MNT or Starting Point travel in Buranasart Rd near Banglamphu - their listed website doesn't exist - booked me here, wildly overcharging me for a dirty, badly run place staffed by the laziest people in the hospitality industry. The one nice thing about it - the relatively secluded and peaceful beach - was hard to enjoy because the 'staff' were always watching TV in the communal area at a blaring volume. Want to sit in the hammock near the sand? Can't because one of the 'staff' is in it. Care to relax in the little massage hut on the sand (despite the noise from the TV)? Oh dear, the staff are in there gossiping. I was made to feel as though I was incredibly demanding and unreasonable because I wanted clean bedding and insect spray - certainly there was no apology or any offer to help put things right. While there I met a Norwegian swindled into this disgrace to thailand by the same Ninja and he was paying almost double what I was for a room there. He said his room was also dirty and he suggested that I ask for another sheet, which was a good idea, although i had to put up with quite a lot of eye rolling. He also said his air con could not be controlled and I saw him one morning with his socks on because he had been so cold the night before. I didn't sleep well there once. And in addition to the loud TV, they would play loud music in the morning too.
When I saw the state of the bungalow I was given (in addition to the pile of tyres near the entrance, the huge rows of rubbish bags, bottles to be recycled and general crap lying around by the back of the 'restaurant' - food is not up to much, but the abusive comments in the menu are entertaining) I was not happy, especially as I was paying quite a lot in beach bungalow terms. The woman running the place moved me to another bungalow, which at least had the wastepaper basket they demanded loo paper be placed in. Did have a run-in with a large cockroach there though, which eventually died in the corner and was feasted upon by ants. I was there for five days - sadly I had prepaid - and the 'staff' did not check the room once. The dead roach and the overflowing bin was, I imagine, a nice gift for them when I left. The 'manager' wildly overcharged for the five-minute drive to the pier so I mounted my pack with joy and walked it. Lest you think I'm being precious, I spent a month in India last year, and apart from one unpleasant place, Or Rawarn was more expensive and of a far lower standard than all the places I stayed in on Goan beaches, where at least the bathroom walls joined the roof. I was so happy to leave.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2008

We had this place booked for us for attending the full moon party through a travel agent & I have to say if it had been down to us we probably wouldn't have picked it at first glance.

The resort was just a 5 minute drive from the pier (they pick you up for free when you arrive) at Thong-Sala & probably a 10-15 minute drive to Haad-Rin where the full moon party was held, a share taxi ride there cost us 100 Baht per person.

The rooms were a selection of individual wooden (no concrete as mentioned on the flyer for the place) bungalows raised on stilts, ours had air conditioning. They were surrounded by garden & some went right down to the beach. It had 2 single matresses inside on a raised platform (thai style?), the shower & sink was attached in an outdoor enclosed area & the toilet was at the other side of the bungalow indoors. We had a towel each provided for us & a small light throw for covering ourselves at night on the bed.

During the day the air con couldn't cool the air down at all & just blew hot air at you, we discovered that if we opened the door (as I know you're not meant to do with air con) that it managed to run cool. At night in contrast it was freezing! It would quickly get too warm with it off but on the lowest setting & turned up to a warm temperature both my partner & I had to sleep in our sleeping sacks with some clothes as we were both shivering. The first night was worst as we weren't expecting this but once we knew we had to wrap up it wasn't so bad.

The reception/restaurant (if you could call it either of these things, more a general communal area for guests) was a large roof covered but otherwise open air longhouse style building where people would congregate when not sleeping (since the rooms weren't really suitable for sitting around in when not sleeping) or out & about. The food was excellent with good sized portions compared to most places we'd eaten in Thailand. The owner Mr T & his wife & a couple of others who help out at other times run the place & make you feel very welcome, often joking around with guests like I hadn't seen anywhere else in Thailand. They would even invite you to taste the food they were having for dinner when they came to sit in the communal area for their own meals.

There is a tv in the communal area which the owners young boy does control most of the time but you can change the channel or ask for a film to be put on if you desire.

The resort is right on the beach but the reef goes out quite far so you need to walk round a bit til you get to a bit where you can go out to swim, though if you walk to the right as you're facing the beach a couple of places down there is a swimming pool which is open to outsiders to use & looked lovely.

On the night of the full moon (or half moon) party they put on a BBQ for everyone which we didn't attend cos we thought it was a bit pricey (260 Baht) but nearly everyone staying on site did & when we went round later for a couple of drinks before heading out everyone looked like they were having a great time & Mr T was up dancing around with everyone.

In the end we loved our stay there but feel it cost more than it was probably worth all in.

• Liked — friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — very basic, location didn't have much around it
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple