“Great hostel, awesome party atmospehere”

Dancing Elephant Hostel
Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia
“Great hostel, awesome party atmospehere”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I stayed there for New year 2013 and full moon.
Hostel is very basic but great! Owner is very hospitable person, staff always helped me with arranging my leisure.
Important to point out that if you are staying in Dancing Elephant you get discounts for few bars and restaurants on Haad Rin.
Would definitely recommend for staying to any crazy-party minded person!

Pre-parties are terrific!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I stayed here for the FMP and Songkran!

David who owns the hostel and the staff are really friendly, chatty and really lived up to my expectations.
The location is great- far enough from the beach to get a good nights sleep but close enough so that I didn't have to take anything for fmp and just popped back to my locker if I needed any money.

Songkran was amazing- we had a massive water fight down the street and everyone got involved!

The pre-drinks to full moon were amazing- they played any requests and the other hostels joined in as our party was so good. I could have gone to bed after that and had a really good night without even seeing the FMP! They sell drinks outside so everyone prinks together as well as people form other hostels nearby to join in!

You get a wristband rather than a key which you show to get into the dorm- there was a security guard there the entire time I was there and they had a very strict rule of no visitors in the dorm. Good to know your stuff is safe!

I was in the 40 bed dorm and it was great! It's not a five star hotel but me and my friend who came and met me had a double bed in a cacoon on the bottom bunk and it had its own light where you could change the colour! The 40 bed dorm had two bathrooms and toilets and was really clean.

The one bad thing about the hostel was the extremely uncomfortable beds- I could feel every spring but when I was coming in at 4/5am that was the least of my issues!

I would 100% recommend staying here- just be open minded about the standard of the room (personally it added to my experience and I met loads of people in a really sociable place) but I can see why it would put others off!
Definitely recommend the 40 bed dorm over the other rooms as although it's more people- you get a divider. Try and ask for a bottom bunk as its more private!

The wifi wasnt great inside the room but then it wasn't particularly great anywhere on the islands!

Stay here if you want to have fun! Not a place to go if you want a relaxing time!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Lizzie F
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed here for Full Moon in February, 2014. Trip Advisor is right to rank this high for party hostels. Pre-drinking for the beach party was tons of fun here, with everyone gathered outside socializing and listening to music. But if I were to do it again, I would come here to party and meet people, but not actually stay here.
The hostel has a couple buildings with dorms of 20 people. Each building has 2 bathrooms, only one of which has a shower, for all of these people to share. This was especially a problem on the night of Full Moon, with everyone lined up outside wanting to get ready to go out. In our building, going to the bathroom also required walking downstairs and through the lobby, which was a bit awkward when you were stumbling down in your pj's at 8 am and had to walk through a group of people just arriving and getting their orientation speech.
Security was also a bit of an issue. Although the hostel claimed to have 24-hour security, we often got there to find no one at the door, and there was no key either to the outside or the dorm room, which means that on most nights anyone could have wandered in.
Location was great, as it was really close to the beach, but to us, it wasn't worth it. Come here to party for sure, but stay somewhere where you'll get a little more for your money.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

We (8 backpacking girls) stayed here for Full moon, and the hostel had overbooked accommodation so we were moved to a nearby hostel named Gallery. We had to pay 27$ a night for 2 hours of running water a day, no locks on our door and an open deck which was accessible by the public. Our beds were 5 bunk beds pushed all together, no blankets and no towels. We were made to pay for a locker in the room. Staff accommodation was in our room as well which was extremely awkward. We also had to deal with complete strangers using our bathroom and lockers throughout the day and night. We had bags and clothes stolen from our room. Do not stay here. It's great for a party environment and you can pre drink easily here but do NOT stay here

• Stayed March 2014
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This is seriously the greatest hostel i've stayed at. The staff is extremely helpfull and nice and made us feel very welcome. The dorms are very nice, yes the mattresses are close together but as long as you are happy and open with the other people in your dorm, that just makes it more fun! We usually hung out in the lower bunk and talked and played drinking games and it was just so much fun! Me and my friends all love this place and wish there were more places like it around SE Asia.

The people who write bad reviews about this place seriously did something wrong while staying there, cause it is awesome! Just be open, friendly and happy and you'll have the best time on Koh Phangan and you'll get many new awesome friends!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Birdfishorinbetween
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This is the first hostel I've ever been to, and based off of the reviews I read, I was expecting something pretty great. I paid the extra money for somewhere close by the Full Moon Party that would have a 'happening' scene where I could get to know other travellers.
Wow, was that ever a shocking misconception. I met the greatest people, but that can happen anywhere. Every person in my dorm said that it was one of the worst hostel they'd ever been in before, and some people had been traveling for a long time.

I paid more money for the room with less people (but still around 20!) and the beds weren't even separate! It was one giant bunk bed where you could actually roll over onto the person beside you, with the most repulsive, barely there mattresses. There was a 'kitchen' below our room that we weren't even allowed to use because the Thai staff always occupied it. The 'view' from our place looked into some sewage lake, and there was only ONE toilet and 2 showers.
Needless to say I could probably go on about this for quite some time.

I do not recommend staying here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank JennyPennyGastown
tel aviv i
Reviewed 16 February 2014

great place for young people mostlly around 18-26 years old . a little over priced especially the fm party rate. very helpfull stuff. very safe room but you have a locker too if you want. they have very goog and cheap tai food.

Room Tip: try to get "forst floor" bed to have more privecy