“Very basic hotel”
Review of Kaew Samui Resort

Kaew Samui Resort
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Surat Thani
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed at Kaew Samui Resort hotel for one night. We were on a motorcycle trip and had a stopover in Surat Thani. The hotel is more than basic but for 750 Baht per night there is not much to expect. Rooms are quite simple, just a bed, desk, small TV and a fridge. Mildew allover in the bathroom. Air-condition was loud and smelly. Breakfast choice was limited, mainly Thai-food, nothing suitable for Western, except white toast with marmalade and instant coffee. Internet was in the entire hotel free of charge but very slow. I would not stay there again, however, Surat Thani leaves not many choices in terms of hotels.

Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

If you are tired of island wooden bungalows or miss hot water — this is a place for you. For a reasonable price (around 800 B.) you will get a very pleasant clean room with AirCon, fridge and desk, and if you pay a little extra, the room will be even better. The receptionists were very friendly, spoke good English, and checked me in without any booking in a couple of minutes.
The price includes breakfast (Thai style buffet) which starts at 6AM (so you can have breakfast and still get on an early ferry).
The restaurant's prices are not very high, but green curry was only 3 out of 5.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Victor I
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I really liked this hotel. They had a strange little shop on the ground floor which I liked because hey I didn't need another 7 eleven. The restaurant was good and the waiter was a really nice bloke. The receptionists were good too.

Really, I have no complaints. I was thankful to be staying somewhere so nice after the Islands and the ferry and stuff.

There were a couple of ants though. I had this problem at multiple Thai resorts. Don't spray deet on any surface you wont be able to remove it from though.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Most travellers wouldn't stay in Surat Thani for any reason other than in transit, and I couldn't find anywhere with particularly good reviews so I did not expect a lot. However, this was a beautiful hotel! We paid about £25 for the most expensive room which was similar to what you would find in a good quality chain hotel. Staff were extremely friendly and treated us with a lot of respect. I noticed we were the only people staying there who were not Thai- it seemed like a Thai business hotel but staff treated us as honoured guests! We ate in the restaurant which was very cheap and very nice. Even at breakfast they explained it was a Thai breakfast but could cook us eggs to order.

The downside is that this hotel is out of town so there is nothing around it. There is also no pool, so there is nothing to do. However the rooms are very nice and comfortable, so if you need somewhere to stay in Surat Thani I would recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank helena333
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way to Koh Samui. Unfortunately, we didn't get much sleep. When we checked into our room, we were unhappy to see many small red ants crawling all over the cloth headboard, pillows, and mattress. We went to the front desk, told them about the ants, and asked them if they could change our room. The staff was apologetic. We were given another room that seemed slightly upgraded, and with a leather headboard instead of cloth. However, there was the same problem with the ants. It was hard to sleep with ants crawling all over you!

I know this is a tropical location but I did not have this problem anywhere else on the month-long trip in southern Thailand.

I do recommend the massage services offered in-house.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Myself and a friend stayed here as a stopover on the way to Koh Samui. After a long-haul flight it was exactly what we were after: friendly service, modern, clean, spacious room and even as two girls travelling alone, felt very safe. The only point I would make is that arriving late from our flight, we nearly missed the hotel restaurant closing time and there did not appear to be many restaurants/shops nearby to get food - worth bearing in mind if you will be arriving later in the evening! The hotel staff arranged taxi to our ferry pick-up and made it a very stress-free transfer.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I have to start by saying the general manager Samantha is amazing and the customer service by the receptionists was brilliant. I arrived at this hotel with a broken foot, the receptionist wrote down in Thai for me what i needed to show the doctors in case they didnt speak English, then the general manager drove me to the hospital. This was beyond my expectations and i was incredibly thankful.

As for the hotel, its about 10 mins from Surat Thani town centre - 100 Baht from town in a tuk tuk if you barter, 200 baht from the hotel into town. Its a large hotel, with huge rooms. Very basic set up but everything you need. Very fast free wifi. Theres no pool but there is a spa. Feels like a business/conference hotel more than a tourist spot. Fine for a one night pre/post island stopover but would stay more central if you need to stay longer, there is nothing near this hotel, no restaurants or shops. it seems pretty isolated.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple