“Always so good”

Cha-Am Methavalai Hotel
Ranked #20 of 62 Hotels in Cha-am
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We have been in Methavalai hotel number of times. And it is it, welcoming and excellent standard, reasonably priced and well maintanend and the staff do their outmost in serving and helping us to enjoy the stay. We like Cha Am, quite and nice, fine beach and good resturants, everything close to the hotel. It has became our tradition to start our travels arround in Thailand in Methavalai hotel.
NB. Interesting go to the harbour in the morning and feel the touch with local people working there with the fish.
Grat thanks
G.Stefansson
Iceland

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank srgs78
There are newer reviews for Cha-Am Methavalai Hotel

Reviewed 17 December 2011

This hotel looks better than the others in its vicinity. Location wise is perfect with beach being right across the road (no hotels on the beach itself here). Glad i brought along my running shoes and got some exercise running on the wet sand. There is a decent foot massage place just outside, turn right as you exit the hotel. As we didnt have anything planned after dinner, a bunch of us took a short trip down the road to Hua Hin to xplore the night market there.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 29 December 2010

the Methavalai is the best place to stay in ChaAm, Ive visited twise and both times have been amazing. Most rooms have beach views and this is the closest hotel to the beach in ChaAm. Its not in the center of town, rather the outskirts but it only takes sevral minutes to walk and this means the beach across the road from the hotel is usually empty and the hotel has sevral hundred chairs and umbrellas set out along the beach. The rooms are quite large and have very comfortable beds, they also all have balconies. The hotel boasts two pools, one 'adults' pool although it does have a waterslide that ive never seen be used and a 'kids' pool with toy mushrooms and such. All the staff are very happy and helpful, the free buffet breakfast is one of the best around. The only bad thing about the hotel is that it doesnt have wifi, you can pay for internet in a small room but down the street a travel agent is a lot cheaper. Yes there are a lot or elderly westerners but the only time you will see them is when theyre sunbaking by the pool-they pretty much never go in for a swim. Confrencees are always being held but youll only see them for breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank mellybourne
Reviewed 6 April 2010

We stayed at the Methavalai hotel during the months of january and february 2010. It is a large, well situated hotel with large rooms and balconies.
I experienced the staff as friendly and helpful, contrary a review I read on this page. I did not ecxperience one single negative aspect, unless you want to count the presence of a lot of elederly people as negative. Good swimming pool, and their private beach is solely reserved for the hotel guests with beds and umbrellas. When my wasn't feeling to well breakfast of my choice was brought up every morning with a friendly smile. Our housekeeping lady even put fresh flowers in our room every other day.
A good hotel, in a usually quiet place, in the weekends a lot of Thais come to Cha-Am, but because of the private beach it still stays quiet.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2010

We booked this hotel because we would be staying in Cha Am for 5 nights after a 10 night stay in North East Thailand and we wanted some luxury and comfort for our 11 month old daughter. After reading many, many great reviews online we decided to spend a bit more money on this hotel and even though the reviews said the hotel was popular with Scandinavian tourists we did not expect it to be like a western care-home for the elderly! But this wasn't a problem for us really, although we felt out of place being young with a baby and two of the group Thai, it was the service and the hotel that we were really disappointed in.

The reception staff were not that friendly and didn't smile once. My wife was really unhappy with the way they spoke to her. One day I wanted to rent a car so went to reception to see what services they had. The only thing the had was a free tourist broucher with an Avis advert in it. That was fine but to compare prices I wanted the telephone number. for Buget Car Rent in Hua Hin aswellm so asked if they could get the number for me. I was amazed to be told that they couldn't get the number! A hotel of this size with 8 people behind reception could not get the number. In the end I had to use my mobile to phone my dad in England who went online and got the number for me - A joke!

The maids, housekeeping and room service were all terrible too. The rooms were cleaned to a very low standard and most days my tea cups were not replaced or cleaned but simply put on top of the fridge, dirty, not even put back on the saucers on the table. When I say dirty I mean the cups still had Ovaltine in them from my last drink! The floors were dusty and not cleaned for the 5 nights we were there, the bathroom floor was not cleaned and still had hair on the floor the whole time. My wife was unhappy with the maids too as they took the box for some new shoes she just bought, I guess the though it was rubbish but in was in the wardrobe and not anywhere near the bin! (What if her shoes were in it?)

The two rooms we had were a bit of a contrast really, first, my room was in the old part of the building and is in need of updating. Not just some new paint but the decor is dated and the furniture is old. We were upgraded to a triple-room upon arrival (I don't now why but maybe to ease the blow?) and the room was big but lighting was very poor. There were no main lights on the celling, just a few lamps around the room which failed to spread adequate light. On the other hand, the room my brother-in-law had was in the new building and was very modern with dark brown wood decor and purple bed covers and pillows!

I ordered room service one time and was very disappointed. When I'm in Thailand I eat mostly Thai or Asian food (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese etc..) But as this 'international standard hotel' claimed to do 'western food', I thought I would give their cheese burger & chips and fish & chips a try. After about a 30 minute wait the food arrived. In all fairness I did enjoy the cheese burger which was a big chuck of meat and cheese but the chips (french fries) were covered in salt and were few and far between. There were even less chips with the fish and so salty I could'nt eat them. Another time I had to phone twice to ask for my laundry to be picked up as we needed to give it to them before 10:00am to be returned before we checked out. I understand it's a big hotel and very busy but when they say "just a minute" and hang-up I don't expect to wait 30 minutes.

I had a few drinks at the pool side bar a couple of times when they had happy hour. The young men working in the bar were very polite and I spoke to them mainly in Thai which I liked as all the other staff just spoke English to me. The drinks are expensive too, A small bottle of heineken was 110 Baht + service charge + Tax!

The hotel gym was a great let-down aswell. It was small with one running machine, one bike, some free weights and one multi-gym which was in bad condition and the bit for leg work-out was broken. I went in the gym to use it but left with that familiar feeling of disappointment.

The breakfast buffet was ok and there was a lot of choice including eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, all kinds of fresh fruit and juices and some cakes and sweets. The hot Thai food was ok but not really that great but at least they changed some of the dishes every day. My main problem with the breakfast is the fact that the restaurant is open air with celling fans that do basically nothing. Some days it was really humid and with so many people squeezed in it was quite hot. Some times you had to wait for a table as there were not enough tables for all the guests.

Overall we are extremely disappointed with this hotel and for the price it should be so much better. I have stayed in Hotels all over Thailand and this is NOT good Thai hospitality and we would never stay here again, not even if it was free and recommend other people to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Jon_Mak_Mak
Reviewed 4 November 2009

I loved this hotel and its staff. My family and I stayed there for 9 days and we had a great time. Met nice people and visited many temples.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family