“Large room but bad breakfast”

The Regent Cha Am Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 62 Hotels in Cha-am
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Very nice swimming pool. I got the room so far from facilities and lobby. Breakfast is bad tasting. Room is very spacious and wonderful bed. Many guests in the day we booked, I can check in on 3pm with no welcome drink. Drinking water in restaurant is smelly.

Room Tip: Hotel area is very large. Choose the room near facilities.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Thipsusi
Regent L, Quality & Development Manager at The Regent Cha Am Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear ThipSusi,

Thank you for staying at our property recently. We do apologise that you found our breakfast inadequate. Your comment concerning the drinking water is also duly noted.

You may be interested to learn that we have taken steps to make improvements to our services based on your comments which includes providing bottled water at the restaurants.

We are glad however you enjoyed the rest of the facilities and hope you will join us again to review our improvements.

Warm regards,
Kritsana Boungam (Ms.)
Quality & Development Manager

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We recently held our wedding at The Regent Cha Am Beach Resort. We chose this venue after only a very brief visit 6 months prior and were impressed with the Food and Beverage Manager, Mr Sansri. We felt the resort had a variety of room types from a simple hotel room, through to family suites, villas and larger rooms in the Regency Wing which would give our guests choice. We had around 50 guests staying at the resort over the wedding weekend including many children. The resort was perfect for what we wanted. Our guests were largely happy with the resort and the children particularly enjoyed the swimming pools and kids club facilities.

The wedding itself was a long time planning and it was absolutely beautifully done. The staff created a most beautiful, magical place for us to hold our ceremony and then an international seafood BBQ buffet for our 80 guests. Mr Sansri and Wassana were helpful and went out of their way to provide what we wanted including live music, hair and makeup and flowers.

Our only real criticism would be that the speed of service is somewhat slow. Once you begin to expect things to take a while, this becomes less irritating.

Thank you to The Regent for a memorable wedding day and we recommend the resort to anyone looking for a venue for a destination wedding in Thailand.

Room Tip: We stayed in a villa which was a suite however our first night was spent in a smaller villa (twin an...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AngieL127
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My stay was December 26, 2013 - January 1, 2014. Hotel was sold out from what I was told. I decided on Cha-Am because I read it was more low key and near to Hua Hin. Both true. But next time, I might choose Hua Hin simply because of the lack of beach area where I was.

* LOBBY: nice, airy. Staff is NOT the best (see below)

* ROOM: 4th floor. Stayed in a one bedroom suite which was just two adjoining hotel rooms with the joining door removed and the 2nd hotel room was renovated as a living room / kitchen. Walking in, I was a bit disappointed by the decor (could use some updating). I felt the room was fighting between being an outdated 70s dark wood panel room and a beachy style wood furnishing. Later it grew on me. Shampoo/Conditioner/Lotion sub-par. Overall though pretty clean, no bugs. One petty thing I didn't like was that they provided a down comforter but no flat sheet. I like to be covered (to prevent mosquitos bites though there were hardly any) but I hate being hot when I sleep. Outlets took US plugs.

* PATIO: spacious - I had 2 patios, one with chairs overlooking the pool and the other with 2 loungers that was perfect for reading a book. Patios are angled so you get a bit of privacy. I left the patio doors open all the time with the screens closed and it was a perfect airy feel, especially loved listening to the beach waves. View of the beach / sea was mostly blocked by the trees but honestly, it was so smoggy/overcast that there really wasn't much to see.

* NOISE: the way the hotel is designed, it becomes a U-shaped cove around the pool facing the beach which made it so the noise was AMPLIFIED with anything going around in the pool area. Therefore, I woke up at 6:30am to the kids SCREAMING in the playground area, I woke up at 6am to the workers wheeling carts with plates and silverware, 8am you can hear the clanking of plates from breakfast, and you can clearly hear people shuffling their slippers which was just plain ridiculous.

* FRONT DESK STAFF: found them to be obnoxious and not helpful/polite. There was a bit of a language barrier with most of them so I don't fault them much for any misunderstandings. But one thing that bothered me: on my last night I knew the shuttle to Hua Hin was at 7pm. I went down, inquired with a front desk staff person about what to do with the shuttle, and she just told me to wait on the sofas. When the van came, I stood in line only to find out I had to pre-buy a 200 Baht Round Trip ticket at the front desk. Why they didn't inform me, I don't know! The driver told me they'd wait for me if I went to the front desk and purchased a ticket. When I went to the front desk, they're arguing with me that they will not sell me a ticket. In the end, I just walked away and ended up getting a taxi in the village for 500 Baht.

* FOOD: Room service was absolutely rude! Don't order from them. Ate at the restaurant the first night which was nice but later I went to the village (5 minute walk - turn left out the lobby, walk passed the guard stations and down what looks like an alley and you'll see the "village" which is about 2 blocks worth of restaurants and stores - nothing special). Good food at the restaurants there.

* POOL: gotta reserve your spot at least by 9am if you want good "sun" position. I just grabbed a towel and a book from the lobby and left it on a lounge chair. Saw some people just leave their towels on their loungers and never come back - I felt bad for the people walking around trying to find a place to sit. The hotel really needs to improve pool waiters - I absolutely would have bought more drinks if they were coming around more often. Better for them, better for me :) The other pool on the other side of the villas was much more quiet. I ended up there most of the time. Another thing, the pools are NOT heated so the water was FREEZING.

* SAFETY: I was traveling solo - single girl mid-30s. Absolutely felt safe walking around, even to the village by myself.

* NO MINI-BAR: was fine for me. They had a 7-Eleven style mart which was just 100 feet from the hotel. I stocked up on water, snacks, etc. Fridge was big so it was perfect - also had a freezer for ice cream!

* BEACH: non-existent. Don't expect to be able to walk down the beach to a public beach. It's pretty much waves crashing against the wall of the hotel property.

* HOTEL BAR: dead - I guess everyone goes to town.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank gekkos622
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We were a little concerned after reading here that there was no beach but in fact apart from when the tide was fully in there was enough beach to walk on and paddle in the sea. The sand was lovely and clean. The hotel had put some sand and loungers on the terrace for those that wanted sit and look out to sea. The breakfast buffet was the best of any hotel I have stayed in, plenty of choice of food and seating areas. The bedroom was perhaps a little dated but it was clean and functional; we certainly didn't spend much time there as there were plenty of other lovely areas to sit and relax. The reception staff were very helpful, especially when dealing with a suitcase left at Bangkok airport! They were only too pleased to help arrange transport for days out.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Gillian S
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Cha Am we found it to be lacking in a lot of things. The service of staff was unhelpful and the rooms needs to be updated as the walls and bathroom is crumbling. We booked this on the last minute and we really regret it. Our safe was broken and we had to ring 4 times for the staff to come and fix and the WiFi was not working properly in our rooms again we had to ring a few times for staff to fix this up.
Bus into town is a little expensive considering its not far to get to town :( What they say on the website is a little misleading as there is no beach as what is claimed and the pics is misleading. When we got to the beach we were quite shocked.
This place needs to be completely overhauled and renovated and better training for the staff to bring it up to speed.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank lyndyloo001
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Had a lovely break at cha am beach resort. Room was large and had a very comfortable bed. Bathroom was basic. Beautiful gardens which were always kept clean. Breakfast buffet was excellent.
Chef Oat showed me how to carve tomato, papaya and apple into beautiful garnish. It was our wedding anniversary on 20th and we had a lovely surprise in room, 2 swans made from towel on our bed and anniversary cake with candle...:-) thank you Cha am resort.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank puccini66
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We are a family of four (mum, dad and twins 7 y.o.) and stayed in the resort in Oct 2013.
First of all the service is excellent: friendly, smiling and very helpful staff who went out of their way to make our stay comfortable.
Secondly, the facilities are very good. We were particularly impressed with the children's club - it was hard to drag the kids out again :-) There is a good choice of swimming pools and the beach is only a short walk away or drive with the free shuttle service (located at the Regent Chalets).
Thirdly, the food is very good and lots of options.

Could be better:
- The bus or taxi transport to Hua Hin is a little expensive considering the relatively short distance (< 20km)
- The Regent's own website does not work well when making the booking (so we used Asia Web)

Coming back? ABSOLUTELY!