“"Awe" is for Awesome.”

Ranked #62 of 167 Chiang Rai B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“"Awe" is for Awesome.”
Reviewed 13 February 2013

When I first arrived at PS Guesthouse, I asked the manager (and owner?) what her name was and she said, "My name is Awe, like in awesome." This made me laugh a little. After four nights of staying there, I can say that she really is "awesome" (at least in my experience). She was very helpful and friendly as well as quite laid back about pretty much everything.

The room itself was a great value at 300 baht (fan room on second floor). It was spacious, clean, had a comfortable bed, hot water in the shower, and had good strong wifi. It wasn't amazing, but it was great for the cost.

The location is both good and bad (depending on what you need). It's a little north of the center of town near the river and is in a basic rural neighborhood without any tourists, 7-11s, restaurants, etc. This is good because its a little more quiet and is actually somewhat central if you plan to tour the area surrounding Chiang Rai. I found the location to be great *IF* you have your own transport such as a motorbike or car. However, I don't think I would be so into the location if I was on foot. It's a fair distance from the main part of town. It's not super far (maybe about 20 minutes walk), but far enough that I personally wouldn't want to do it daily (especially since it is currently very hot). If you don't mind paying for tuk-tuks/taxis to get around then I guess it wouldn't be an issue.

I rented a motorbike from the guesthouse which was also a very laid back affair. She didn't take my passport, charged me a fair rate (200 baht), and didn't seemed concerned about the checking the bike's condition upon returning it. When I first got the bike, the brakes seemed super weak, so Awe took the bike to a mechanic and had it inspected and fixed (all in about 15 minutes while I got settled in my room).

Overall I would recommend PS Guesthouse. It is super laid back, somewhat quiet, good value, and had a bit of a "living in a small apartment in a basic Thai neighborhood" feel to it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 January 2012

PS Guesthouse is located just 10 mins walk away from the city centre, which is great for those who like to get a good rest at a quiet location. For 350 Baht a night, this is really excellent value for money as the room comes with cable TV, attached hot shower, fridge and wifi !

It is also bike-friendly, as the guesthouse has a gated private parking area for bikes.
I would highly recommend this place for those on a budget.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 August 2011

It is my first trip to Chiang Rai Thailand and was looking for a reasonably priced place to make base to explore the northern part of the country. I just turned up at the door step and was greeted by Aw, who greeted me with a warm smile. The room was clean and huge which was good. There is also a private parking for my motorcycle. Aw made me feel at home when we had dinner and drinks together with a couple of friends. A stranger has found a home in Chiang Rai.

Room Tip: I stayed in fan rooms although there are A/C rooms too.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 23 December 2009

Excellent value hotel - clean and spacious rooms with fridge and TV. Almost lost a room point due to very limited TV channels and a dodgy fan (but I'm sure it will be fixed when we ask!). A lovely hostess and the bar area is a definite bonus. Not sure about food prices but the drinks are some of the cheapest we've had.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Burntwood
British Columbia
Reviewed 9 January 2009

Guesthouse is decent enough - nothing fancy, but clean and fair price. A bit far from transportation and core of Chiang Rai. I'd advise to rent a scooter - guesthouse can arrange that. Owner is Thai, but she speaks a fair bit of English. There is a little restaurant/bar attached, but is overpriced. there was a wide range of people staying there, families, all ages, backpackers. The night bizarre (located just behind the bus depot) in Chiang Rai, has about 50 food stalls and an incredible assortment of food and drink for a good price. Would recommend this place for a short stay -a few days was long enough for us.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — bit far from downtown core
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Penang
Reviewed 7 December 2008

Walked in to the Guest House early in the morning and the owner welcomed us with cheerful face. Stayed there for 4 days and enjoyed every mornings and nights there. Coffee and western breakfast ready at request to start our day. When we come back every evening after exploring Chiang Rai, the bar alaways open to cool us down. The owner Aor very helpful with sightseeing information. She can arrange all the travelling/sightseeing. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Very queit and peaceful place to stay. Met some great guys there.
Highly recommended for travellers who wish to stay at a queit and safe place. looking forward to stay there during next trip.

• Liked — Queit, peaceful and very safe location.
  • Disliked — NONE
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank saga818
Roaming Free
Reviewed 22 November 2008

Would highly recommend staying here. We turned up out of the blue and were able to geta room and ended up staying for 1 week as we loved it so much. Aor the owner is fantastic, she really helped us and gave us loads of information about Chiang Rai and kindly took us out to the Loi katong Festival, which was a night we will never forget. If we are ever in the area again (which we really hope we will be) we will definatley be staying here as it's like a second home.

• Liked — Aor and her Housemade.
  • Disliked — Nothing at all.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple