“Great location. Good value a very helpful staff.”

Orchids Guest House
Ranked #6 of 161 Chiang Rai B&B and Inns
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Great location. Good value a very helpful staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

I had a big problem when I got to Chiang Rai - I had lost my wallet on the bus!! The staff at Orchids, especially the receptionist was great. They even offered to lend me money!!! I don't care how bad the beds might be - which they weren't - I don't care how noisy the rooms might be - which they weren't - I don't care how many negative comments might be posted about this place - I don't have ANY - you cannot get better than this!! In value, in staff cooperation and friendliness, in location. For 400 baht a night you will not do better. Trust me.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank GraemeJ1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Thunder Bay, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Good place to stay but it hasn't been up with our best hence the average rating. On the plus -- great location (walking distance from bus station and clock tower) and very helpful staff. On the negative side -- instead of mattresses we slept on box springs (not so comfy) and three of the four of us woke up with bed bugs. The staff said that we got them on our trek and perhaps we did -- we had just returned. However, we've had bed bugs once years ago and I know we got them immediately, not days later. I'm not whining -- just sharing the pros and cons.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank TBSuz
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

I booked with Orchids after seeing it mentioned in Lonely Planet, but my friend and I were really surprised with how poor our experience was. The woman at the desk was horribly unfriendly and very unhelpful; simple questions about the Internet and air-con were met with disdain. Her English wasn't very good so I guess that could have been it, but I somehow doubt it.

The place isn't very clean - our bathroom had dirty footprints on the floor and the bedroom hasn't been swept in quite some time. There's a balcony to sit on, which is nice. I didn't feel like the place was particularly safe, either - the doors didn't lock securely.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
queensland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

I returned to Orchids Guesthouse in late June this year for a short stay in Chiang Rai - the location is great, easy walk from the bus terminal - easy access to the night market and Saturday Walking Street. My room this time was downstairs and towards the end of the block - ask to see the room first if you wish. It had the best bathroom in it I had encountered during my 4 weeks holiday- sensible layout, big and clean. The bed was comfortable and I heard no outside noise during the night. Its not the Ritz but its clean, comfortable and inexpensive - oh and its near Jed Yod Street where you get the best ever Khao Soy in Thailand ( near the computer games centre)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank rusthomco
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

Loved this hotel stayed 4 nights , clean rooms lovely staff , free tea coffee, and water and bananas , rooms cleaned every if you want ,otherwise put the sign out when you do , washing was returned in good shape nothing missing a great place to stay

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Paul C
Songkhla, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

Spent 4 nights there in May 2013. A/C with hot water, TV, drinking water in room, free coffee/tea. Asked for and got one of the end rooms. Very quiet. Spotlessly clean. Fresh starched linen on the bed. Cold a/c. The staff was friendly and efficient and booked a motorbike for me. It arrived and was picked up within 5 minutes of the call. The location is perfect--right in the middle of Chiang Rai, near the bus station, but in a small deadend alley. Quiet and convenient.

Room Tip: An end room will be quieter than others since the guests will have to walk past when they are going...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank JStaley
Chang Rai, Chiang Rai, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

This guest house is near many tourist friendly facilities, easy to get tours, motorbikes massage and foreign or thai food. Guesthouse is clean and the manager is very helpful and friendly. It is close to the old bus station so you can walk to get a bus anywhere in Thailand.

Room Tip: All rooms are basically the same. Second floor maybe less noise from the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo