“Wonderful stay”
Review of The North Hotel

The North Hotel
Ranked #38 of 108 Hotels in Chiang Rai
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I called this hotel the same afternoon I was arriving, as I had just crossed the Thai boarder in Chian Kong, coming from Laos. The lady readily accepted the telephone booking, based on the promise that I would turn up by 6 PM. Location was super, 2 blocks from the bus station in the center of the city, but still surprisingly quiet. Obviously not a romantic setting, but the pretty hotel close to the night and day market makes it up. My superior room on the 2nd floor went for 650 Baht and was one of the best I stayed in so far: tasteful decoration, nice bed and good mattress (for once not too hard, but neither too soft), hardwood floors, different kinds of lighting from bright to cozy, fridge, fan and AC and - last but not least- a beautiful bathroom! The staff was extremely kind, I had my laundry done in one day, free Wifi with 2 PCs available for those w/out their own and great communal areas both on the ground floor and on terrace on 1st floor. Breakfast was not included, but available for 150 Baht, so really a minor detail.. I wasn't feeling well when I arrived, so added a 2nd night and the stay in this hotel put me back on track, would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: If you can get it, choose a room to the back, but mine was to the street and ok anyway.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Audrey B

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night after a lovely stay at bamboo nest.
The room needed a bit of TLC as bulbs were out and was a bit drab. Also we got bitten to death by something in the room, we had just stayed in the forest hills and didnt get bitten so feel it was something about the room.
Fine for a nights stay but could be a lot better.
The communal areas were nice.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2013

October 31st 2013 Chiang Rai
The North Hotel Near market and bus station. Walked in for three days at 460baht/day and stayed four. The location is central to everything including, rentals, laundry and Clock Tower that plays for about five minutes at night. The room is functional with light that I can read, even though I bring my own from with extension cord made in hardware store for 46 baht, the room’s back door leads to the patio on the second floor. The location is close and is quiet. The vegetarian Restaurant next door has many buffet choices, four picks of many on a plate for thirty or forty baht; this is my new daily place to eat and first restaurant that I ate at in Thailand for almost two months now as it is markets I usually do choose. There are some nice big Temples. There are a lot of massage places with varied locations and personalities. Three nights worked well at this hotel. It is most nice to enter a clean well maintained hotel that is most accessible to what you might want. You can rent a bike and be into the rural country most quickly. I rode to the elephant farm, saw the big snakes, boats and there were the Karen Hill Tribe people that I met coming and going. It is most easy to get out of the city, for tours or other. The beautiful country is just over the river bridge from the city; four kilometers and you are out there. The hotel staff, location and room worked well. I did stay for a total of four days and slept well on the front of the hotel for the last day. There is a huge market on the right if you take a left at the clock tower, you have to look for it and it is across from a nicely built mosque. The staff were pleasant. Location.
Bike rental was 100 baht and the bike was sound. Take a right at the Clock Tower and follow it to before the intersection on the left. I left a thousand baht for security and the name of the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get the room adjacent to the patio as it is bigger and on the back of the hotel. The front a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We recently stayed here for one night which is enough. We booked in advance but when we arrived, the women on reception couldn't even understand "we have a booking". She just offered us a room as if we had just walked in off the street. The room was much cheaper if you just turn up by the way. After a lot of hand gestures, writing things down, she finally realised that I had a booking yet she never looked in the book or on the computer yet she demanded another 200baht since I booked online. I refused and stuck with the 450 baht you pay without a booking.

I came down a bit later to ask a question and her reaction was to slam the mouse down she was using to navigate through Facebook and then let off a huge sigh. I walked out without an answer.

It is ok for one night maximum as long as you don't go with a booking and you don't ask any questions. The location is also really good. Just make sure you leave the bus station the rightwy, that area can be a little confusing.

Also, the wifi never worked. Not a biggy but might be for others.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Convenient location: 2 minutes walk to the old bus station and night bazare and about 15 mins taxi drive (~50 THB) to the new terminal.
I spent a night in the dorm which seemed clean until i looked under/behind the bed... It's on the roof top although no view and you do hear the music from the night bazare until about 11 pm but that didn't bother me.
What did bother me, in fact, was the extremely poor customer service. I asked the receptionist guy if he could help me with my backpack (NB: you have to climb 5 floors) who pulled a kind of 'how dare you disturbing me' face - but he did help eventually. 10 minutes later i had to ask him again to check the lock in the room as i couldn't close the door - meaning i made him climb 5 floors again. It turns out you have to push the door REALLY hard - so he gave me another meaningful face...
When checking out i asked if i could take a quick shower in the afternoon before i catch the night bus - of course i can, for 100 THB. I'm sorry but to me that sounds like a joke considering that the room costs 200 THB for the night (so instead i found a hostel in bangkok where i could take a shower in the morning - for free, without even staying there).
And yes, the internet only works in the lobby area but i could live with that.
So you do get what you pay for - although in my opinion good customer service costs nothing but it's priceless...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We stayed at the North Hotel in a double private. Arguably the best located hotel we have stayed in so far, no more than 200m from the bus station where we arrived and departed and also 200m from the night bizarre. As the hotel was fairly empty we were given a room with 'the large balcony' An area on the second floor that doubled up as a smoking area for the whole hotel. It was nice to have a large space but equally annoying to have people wandering around outside our window. Probably the only hotel we have ever stayed in that had a front and back door, it was like living at home! Good facilities, amazing location.

Find out more about our big adventure and where we are going next at chipofftheoldblog.com

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Splash out get a Room, the dorms are painfully hot and you won't sleep and there on the top floor so that's annoying. Get air con, so close to bus station and everything else. I liked it ! The staff are super unhelpful and the wifi doesn't work really except in the lobby. I did think it was clean and the building is nice and it was a nice walk to the night markets

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo