“Great Location, but beware of the mosquitoes”
Review of The North Hotel

and 1 more site!
The North Hotel
Ranked #37 of 109 Hotels in Chiang Rai
Perth, Australia
“Great Location, but beware of the mosquitoes”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was a little concerned at first when our taxi driver from the Chiang Rai airport didn't seem to know where the North Hotel was, however we said that it was very close to the night markets. He found it ok. The hotel is around the corner from the night markets and the bus terminal which made it the perfect location for us as we caught the bus the next morning to Laos. The hotel/hostel was definitely one of the better places I've stayed. We stayed in a private room. Bed was comfortable and it was a decent size. One thing though, there were a lot of mosquitoes hanging around in the room. We spent a good 20 minutes squashing them and spraying bug spray and then it was fine.
We had breakfast the next morning. Its a selection of pre-set options such as eggs and toast. It was nice and I have no complaints.
The staff weren't the friendliest however we didn't interact with them too much.
One other word of caution, when you go upstairs to the rooms you have to remove your shoes. I would suggest then carrying them up with you. My friend had hers stolen - not a huge issue, but just annoying.

Room Tip: Be prepared to carry your suitcase upstairs - use a back pack if possible.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kibou86

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Thai first
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Reviewed 28 April 2014

you can walking to bus station so easily this hotel also near Saturday walking street and night bazaar. restaurant open for breakfast only and breakfast time start at 8 am. but you can order the coffee or beer there every time if you want.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Vientiane, Laos
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed in the North for a night at 650 Thai bath. It's located right behind the bus station within few minutes walking distance. Very convenient. and there's also a night market few minutes away, so finding food is not a problem at all. I was surprised by the room loveliness. It's clean and spacious. the only thing would be there's no elevator. so might be difficult for those who have problem with that.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank LouDang
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

This place made my stay in Chiang Rai a whole lot more enjoyable. The rooms are so clean and well decorated, and at such cheap prices too. It's a 5 minute walk to the bus station and also to the night bazaar, cafes, restaurants, pharmacies etc. The staff are very helpful and were also willing to help. This is great place to base yourself in Chiang Rai.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I called this hotel the same afternoon I was arriving, as I had just crossed the Thai boarder in Chian Kong, coming from Laos. The lady readily accepted the telephone booking, based on the promise that I would turn up by 6 PM. Location was super, 2 blocks from the bus station in the center of the city, but still surprisingly quiet. Obviously not a romantic setting, but the pretty hotel close to the night and day market makes it up. My superior room on the 2nd floor went for 650 Baht and was one of the best I stayed in so far: tasteful decoration, nice bed and good mattress (for once not too hard, but neither too soft), hardwood floors, different kinds of lighting from bright to cozy, fridge, fan and AC and - last but not least- a beautiful bathroom! The staff was extremely kind, I had my laundry done in one day, free Wifi with 2 PCs available for those w/out their own and great communal areas both on the ground floor and on terrace on 1st floor. Breakfast was not included, but available for 150 Baht, so really a minor detail.. I wasn't feeling well when I arrived, so added a 2nd night and the stay in this hotel put me back on track, would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: If you can get it, choose a room to the back, but mine was to the street and ok anyway.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Audrey B
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night after a lovely stay at bamboo nest.
The room needed a bit of TLC as bulbs were out and was a bit drab. Also we got bitten to death by something in the room, we had just stayed in the forest hills and didnt get bitten so feel it was something about the room.
Fine for a nights stay but could be a lot better.
The communal areas were nice.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 5 November 2013

October 31st 2013 Chiang Rai
The North Hotel Near market and bus station. Walked in for three days at 460baht/day and stayed four. The location is central to everything including, rentals, laundry and Clock Tower that plays for about five minutes at night. The room is functional with light that I can read, even though I bring my own from with extension cord made in hardware store for 46 baht, the room’s back door leads to the patio on the second floor. The location is close and is quiet. The vegetarian Restaurant next door has many buffet choices, four picks of many on a plate for thirty or forty baht; this is my new daily place to eat and first restaurant that I ate at in Thailand for almost two months now as it is markets I usually do choose. There are some nice big Temples. There are a lot of massage places with varied locations and personalities. Three nights worked well at this hotel. It is most nice to enter a clean well maintained hotel that is most accessible to what you might want. You can rent a bike and be into the rural country most quickly. I rode to the elephant farm, saw the big snakes, boats and there were the Karen Hill Tribe people that I met coming and going. It is most easy to get out of the city, for tours or other. The beautiful country is just over the river bridge from the city; four kilometers and you are out there. The hotel staff, location and room worked well. I did stay for a total of four days and slept well on the front of the hotel for the last day. There is a huge market on the right if you take a left at the clock tower, you have to look for it and it is across from a nicely built mosque. The staff were pleasant. Location.
Bike rental was 100 baht and the bike was sound. Take a right at the Clock Tower and follow it to before the intersection on the left. I left a thousand baht for security and the name of the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get the room adjacent to the patio as it is bigger and on the back of the hotel. The front a...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo