“SPA is amazing”

Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort
Ranked #1 of 108 Hotels in Chiang Rai
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed in the hotel nearby however didn't miss the opportunity to enjoy SPA amenities in Le Meridien Hotel.
I took 2 hour massage and really enjoyed it.
Have to confess I'm rather spoilt in SPA so I have quite high expectations to the entire SPA process from the greeting moment to the "after"tea &payment experience. I must say that Le Meridien SPA team really matches highest standards. I definitely recommend.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear Olga Y

Thank you for writing this wonderfully detailed and positive review. I do agree with your comment regarding Spa is amazing and I am happy to know that you were comfortable and very well taken care of by our Spa team during your stay with us. Thank you for highlighting this one, very much appreciated.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you again to Le Meridien Chiang Rai.

With kind regards

Reviewed 13 January 2014

A large, beautiful complex on the the river with all the modern conveniences, 2 restaurants, an infinite pool, exercise room and spacious, extremely comfortable rooms. Many stairs and some walking is required to get around so you will have a healthy appetite in the morning for one of the most amazing breakfast spreads- Western food, Thai specialities, eggs cooked to order, desserts, and so much more. And then there is the spa offering a variety of treatments after a long day of touring. Be sure to allow time to enjoy this facility.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Mayatravels

Thank for your great comments about service and your experience at our resort. It was a pleasure to welcome you at the hotel. I shared your feedback with the team and they positively beamed when they heard your warm words!

Thanks for highlighting the need. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our Spa treatments and breakfast – we have spent a lot of time making sure our breakfast was really special – we know that at a resort, guests have a little more time to enjoy a full breakfast offering.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you to Chiang Rai again in the future.
Warm regards

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Le Meridien is very well situated for the airport at Chiang Rai. When you get out of the airport you might expect a lineup of taxis waiting for you. Not so. Go back into the airport and find the kiosk that says (if you look closely) ‘Taxi’. Someone will relieve you of 200 Baht (to go to Le Meridien) and a driver will come and take you to a car and from there to the resort.

Now onto the hotel. …This is a very well appointed resort in beautiful surroundings with excellent rooms with usable balconies. The room we had was large, comfortable and had a well equipped ensuite.

The resort staff were very attentive and friendly and we were well looked after during our stay. At breakfast there were staff everywhere! Once a plate was emptied it was quickly and politely removed. The food was good and the variety enormous –surely something to suit everybody.

Moving away from the hotel: There is a (fairly infrequent) shuttle bus that runs from about 10 am to 8 pm outward, and about 1pm to 10.30pm back to the resort. The bus will take you to the centre of Chiang Rai (it would be too far to walk) .The cost of the shuttle is 50 Baht (return). Those that want to walk out of their hotel and into the centre of things, might find the resort frustrating, as it is a little far from the action (on the other hand, if you’re after comfortably seclusion, this might just be the place for you).

Just outside the resort (turn right at the bottom of the drive) there are a few restaurants just a short walk away. We tried Le Gusto. It looks like it’s run by young Thais and it attracts a young crowd. There was live music when we were there (not too loud!). A bit further along the road is the Lulum restaurant. Very much worth a visit as the food is very good and good value (popular with locals, which always a good sign).

A very small point: I did try to use the bath in the ensuite. I estimated the time to half fill the bath at in excess of 60 minutes based on the time it took to fill the bath to a depth of 2 inches. I gave up and had a shower!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Les K

Your comments regarding the bath is acknoweldged. Please accept my apologies and I have assigned Engineering team to fix this problem already, it's important that our guests are completely comfortable in their rooms and thank you for highlighting this one.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to Chiang Rai in the future.

With sincere regards

Reviewed 13 January 2014

The resort is a little way out of the centre of Chiang Rai, but there is a free shuttle service - the thing is, the resort is so damned pretty that you don't really want to leave! Incredible views of the adjacent river and landscape, impressive restaurants and a decent swimming pool and gym...perfect luxury getaway.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear PepperStormTravel

Thank you for your wonderful comments about Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, you made my day when I saw the title of your review. I'm extremely pleased you loved the views of the adjacent river and landscape, also restaurants and swimming pool and gym. We do get regular great comments about them and I'll be thrilled to share your comments with our teams.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
Best regards

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed four nights there in January 2014. It's a beautiful facility, nice setting, quiet, and low pressure/low stress. The exact same facility in a beach town or Chiang Mai would be 2x the cost.

Like other reviewers, our room was moldy-smelling. Not a deal breaker, though.

Like other reviews have said, don't book tours through the hotel. You can get the same exact tours by calling or emailing Golden Triangle Tours for a much cheaper rate. Hotel applies a simple markup on Golden Triangle. Also, note that most tours in Chiang Rai are PRIVATE - i.e. just you and a tour guide. For some reason they don't promote this but it's in fact a better deal than you think by reading the description, as it sounds like a group tour.

The movie theater in town is quite modern and shows Hollywood blockbusters. The concierge helped us reserve tickets in advance.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oregondollar2221
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear cazzy123,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Le Meridien Chiang Rai. Your review will provide us with valuable information that will assist us in improving our products, service and brand.

I am surprised to read your comments about our rooms having a moldy aroma. I will investigate this further as this is very unusual in rooms that have mostly hard floors and surfaces. Thank you for providing us with this information.

I have also read several negative reviews regarding the tours. We do not have hotel tours as such. We provide information on tours, however, none have anything to do with the hotel and are all operated through third parties. I understand how this must be confusing to our guests and we are in the process of assessing how we can offer our guests a service that is operated externally to the property without the negativity being referenced back to the resort, should the tour offerings not meet the guest’s expectations.

Once again, I am sorry for the odour in your room, this is unacceptable. I will investigate further and we will come up with a solution.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Le Meridien Chiang Rai.

Stephen

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We and another couple stayed for a few days at Christmas and had a very nice time. There is quite a lot to see in the area, so our days were mostly spent touring about, which meant we didn't get to enjoy the facility, particularly the pool area, as much as we would like. The rooms are very well appointed in a modern style, with nice private balconies and good wifi coverage.

The facility itself is very well designed and fits its environment very well. Although it is a bit of a hike into the central town area, we found it walkable. There are a number of good restaurant choices very close to the hotel. Food services at the hotel were more than acceptable. The Italian restaurant was good and the service keen, although the wine list was a bit limited. The breakfast buffet was top drawer. There was a special dinner put on Christmas Eve which was over the top, absolutely nothing to complain about.

Although some reviewers have mentioned service issues, we saw no evidence of any problems. This could be in part that we don't expect everyone in a foreign country to be fluent in English. All the staff we dealt with were no worse than adequate in their communication. skills, and those who you need to be proficient were.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear tomnpatti

How kind you are. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this detailed review. When guests are so generous with their time to post a Trip Advisor review, I do think it’s important that I do the courtesy of responding.

Firstly, I must thank you for highlighting food service, this continues to be something that guests make positive comment on – and I must give kudos to our kitchen team that they continue to try to innovate and find new ways to make it even better.

Finally, thank you again for posting these comments – always reviewed, valued and appreciated. I do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you in Chiang Rai again in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We arrived in Chiang Rai in the early evening from Chiang Mai via the VIP bus. It took us a while to find a taxi to take us to the hotel. When we arrived, there was no one in the front to help us with our luggage. The reception was friendly enough but right after we checked into the room, a pipe burst in the bathroom right under the sink. The management did apologize and switched us into another room (which was slightly bigger but had a moldy smell). We were fairly tired at this point so decided to put up with the smell instead of requesting another room.

I should mention that the rooms are nicely appointed and spacious. A staff member dressed up as Santa and popped by to offer our two young boys teddy bears which was a nice gesture.

There is no easy transport to downtown Chiang Rai after dark so we stayed in the hotel for dinner. Went to the Italian restaurant (Favola) - because it was Xmas Eve we were told that all of the indoor tables were reserved. We were seated outside at a tiny table (for a family of 4 and we were expecting an additional guest) in the cold and dark. Our pizza took well over an hour to arrive. One pasta dish arrived with some cheese that my husband specifically requested to leave out. In any event, the service was friendly and the staff were always smiling, but unhelpful and clueless at best.

We liked the breakfast buffet at The Latest Recipe - the food was plentiful and the setting was bright and pleasant.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Laura Z,

I am sorry that we have not delivered on the fantastic experience that we promise when staying with us. We have let you and ourselves down by making some careless and avoidable errors. I sincerely apologise.

As Favola can only seat 30 guests inside we are limited with our seating options. Particularly when it is unusually cold as was the case during your stay. We have reviewed this area in light of how popular it has become and towards the middle of this year we are looking to double its size to improve our guest’s options and satisfaction. It is a very popular restaurant with one of the best Italian offerings in northern Thailand and we must look to continually improve its service, offering and this case its size.

It is disappointing to learn that we have not provided you with a wonderful product and service during your stay with us. I will address your points with the Favola and food and beverage teams so that they and we can continually improve.

Thank you for your favourable comments on our buffet breakfast. With a wide variety of choice including cooking stations and a combination of International and Thai cuisine there is certainly plenty to choose from.

I thank you again for your recommendations, feedback and for staying with us over the Christmas period.

I hope to see or hear that you have the opportunity to stay with us again in the future.

Stephen