We stayed for 3 days / 2 nights and used the hotel as a base for daytrips in the Chiang Rai / Golden Triangle.
What we liked:
- Beautiful surroundings. The hotel is located on the bank of the river and looks fantastic. The pool area is also very nice. Just remember, it's a big place, which means lots of walking.
- The atmosphere is relaxed and even sleepy. It's a 5 minutes drive from the hotel to Chiang Rai (hotel offers paid transport).
- Great value. We paid approx. 3000 THB / night (prepaid, without breakfast) for a room which could fit us and our 2 kids. It was by far the best offer, in comparison to vaule provided, in the Chiang Rai region.
- Huge and very tasty buffet breakfast for only 400 THB.
What we didn't like:
- Lack of personal touch. Professional but not friendly service. In a way it's unavoidable in such a big place, and yet this makes a difference between a nice stay and and unforgettable one.
- The pool was closed for one day due to an accident (someone broke a glass while in the pool and they had to empty all the water).
- Lack of free wifi in the room. Access to free wifi in lobby area was cut off the second we had checked out (even though we were still waiting for our transport). Probably this is due to some automatic password management system, but it was rude and unnecessary.
Overall, a great starting point when visiting the region - we would stay there again...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort occupies an idyllic 26-rai site directly on the banks of the Mae Kok River, moments from Chiang Rai town and a one hour drive from the Golden Triangle where the borders of Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar converge. The resort is set at the heart of beautiful landscaped gardens complete with a tranquil man-made lake and two majestic 100-year-old rain trees. Surrounded by magnificent mountain scenery, the neighbouring community is a jewel waiting to be explored. Nearby attractions include Rai Mae Fah Luang, Le Méridien's chosen UnLock Art site, and Oub Kham Museum which houses a collection of objects from the ancient Lanna kingdom, Myanmar, southwest China, and Vietnam. Nearby attractions include Wat Phra Kaew, the temple that once housed the Emerald Buddha, and the Hill Tribe Education Centre with its fascinating display of tribal artefacts and handicrafts. Boat trips along the Mae Kong River are available from the town of Chiang Khong, with stops along the way at villages of interest. Ethnic groups living in the province include Karen, Lisu, Lahu, Akha, Meo, and Yao, and it is possible to arrange treks into the hill tribe villages with experienced local guides. Mae Sai is 62 kilometres north of Chiang Rai and makes for an interesting day trip. This busy trading post borders Myanmar, and it is possible to cross the bridge to visit the bustling market in Tha Khi Lek. Phu Chi Fa is a spectacular viewpoint. The impressive views are best enjoyed early in the morning, particularly in the cool season when mist covers the valley floor. A highlight to any trip to Chiang Rai is a visit to the Doi Tung Development Project. Started as a royal initiative to help eradicate opium supply, drug use, and rural poverty, the project offers villagers with a practical and sustainable alternative. The project focuses on development, education, training, humanitarian activities, environmental conservation, agriculture, and the production of quality crafts. At the summit of Doi Tung, visitors can visit Phra That Doi Tung, a chedi constructed in 911 A.D and one of the oldest and most sacred sites in northern Thailand. The chedi is said to contain the collarbone of Buddha. Le Méridien Chiang Rai Resort, Thailand is located close to the town centre and a short drive from Chiang Rai Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood APAC, Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, TravelUp, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Meridien Chiang Rai Hotel Chiang Rai
- Meridien Chiang Rai