“Beautiful place, but has "big hotel" feel”

Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort
Ranked #3 of 109 Hotels in Chiang Rai
Warsaw, Poland
“Beautiful place, but has "big hotel" feel”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Le Meridien

We stayed for 3 days / 2 nights and used the hotel as a base for daytrips in the Chiang Rai / Golden Triangle.

What we liked:
- Beautiful surroundings. The hotel is located on the bank of the river and looks fantastic. The pool area is also very nice. Just remember, it's a big place, which means lots of walking.
- The atmosphere is relaxed and even sleepy. It's a 5 minutes drive from the hotel to Chiang Rai (hotel offers paid transport).
- Great value. We paid approx. 3000 THB / night (prepaid, without breakfast) for a room which could fit us and our 2 kids. It was by far the best offer, in comparison to vaule provided, in the Chiang Rai region.
- Huge and very tasty buffet breakfast for only 400 THB.

What we didn't like:
- Lack of personal touch. Professional but not friendly service. In a way it's unavoidable in such a big place, and yet this makes a difference between a nice stay and and unforgettable one.
- The pool was closed for one day due to an accident (someone broke a glass while in the pool and they had to empty all the water).
- Lack of free wifi in the room. Access to free wifi in lobby area was cut off the second we had checked out (even though we were still waiting for our transport). Probably this is due to some automatic password management system, but it was rude and unnecessary.

Overall, a great starting point when visiting the region - we would stay there again...

Room Tip: Ask for room closer to pool
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear PawelWu,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. We very much appreciate it as it allows us an opportunity to continually improve our products and services.

Thank you for your wonderful review of our beautiful property. We agree, that you would be hard pressed to find better value for money in a five star property than the Le Meridien Chiang Rai.

It is disappointing to learn that we have not entirely met your expectations on this occasion, and for that I am very sorry. We normally only receive very positive comments about the friendliness of our associates. I will discuss with the team again the importance of ensuring we are as friendly as we are professional. I also apologise that you experienced the internet cutting out. You are correct that access is on a timed basis. I respect that it is frustrating, however, it has been designed in this way to ensure security of the service and our internal systems from external viruses and or access.

I thank you again for your positive comments, and opportunities for us to improve. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Le Meridien Chiang Rai in the not too distant future.

Warm regards
Stephen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We only had one night at Le Meridien but what a night.

Check in was professional, smooth and easy.

Room was absolutely lovely, big, clean and comfortable. The balcony looking out over river and pool area was fantastic and the day bed was so comfortable.

We chose to have room service for breakfast and this was really good, to the point that our cappuccinos were a little flat, we didn't notice the waiter did and he apologised, took them away and returned with new ones, great service.

There is a little shop just a short walk from hotel too.

Checkout was fast and easy.

If we get back to Chiang Rai we would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LenandCathieD
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear LenandCathieTasmania

How kind of you to write this detailed review – and thank you for your wonderfully positive comments. I am so happy to know that you enjoyed the location and views. There is no doubt that the river views receive the best comments from our guests – and the balcony is a delightful place to sit especially early morning with a cup of coffee.
Your comments regarding service are a joy to read. Whenever we receive a Trip Advisor review, we always share it with our hotel team at the daily morning meeting. The team beamed when they heard your warm words.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again in the Lanna kingdom again.
Thank you again for your kind comments.

Sincere regards
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Couldn't believe our luck when we turned up at this hotel. The building is striking with lovely landscaping,views of the river and distant mountains and a wonderful pool area on the edge of the river. A famous DJ curated a 24 hour playlist which plays unobtrusively in the background in public areas and I have to say it's the best hotel lobby music I've heard, it's neither too intrusive nor bland. Wish all hotels would catch on to this. The buffet breakfast is huge and varied. The restaurant area itself is vaulted and a lovely space to be in. Public areas such as reception and the library are beautiful and make you wish you had a house like this. Bedrooms and bathrooms are huge, chic and comfortable. Shuttle in to town is quick and I'm pleased we didn't stay in a hotel in town. Service was excellent. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear vivienne n

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate it as it assists us with improving the quality of our products and services.

Thank you for your wonderful comments about Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, you made my day when I saw the title of your review. I'm extremely pleased you loved the quiet space of the resort along with our Favola Italian restaurant and our breakfast selection, we do get regular great comments about them and I'll be thrilled to share your comments with our teams.

Wow, what a compliment! Our associates work tirelessly to ensure we offer a best in town experience for our guests and it's just wonderful you've felt and experienced it. Thank you for making my day, and all of our associate's day for that matter!

Thank you again for this review.
Warm regards
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We visited this hotel in our honeymoon this year . Amazing view from the river, fantastic breakfast, comfortable rooms, so what is missing? the staff in the restaurants was confused, regular service, we didn't feel welcome there. This is a expensive hotel, and we had a lot of expectation! It was our honeymoon. So, nothing special, just a regular place!

Room Tip: River view!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KalleneSummer
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Kallenesummer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback after your recent stay with us at the Le Meridien Chiang Rai. Your review will provide us with valuable information that will assist us in improving our products, service and brand.

I was disappointed to learn that we have not met your expectations, and for that I am very sorry.

I am shocked that you have found the Le Meridien Chiang Rai expensive. Whilst we are slightly more expensive than the local Thai hotels, and street side food and beverage vendors, I would be surprised if you could find another international five star resort that provides the same level of quality of products and services for the same price.

Regardless, we will take your feedback onboard and review our pricing structures across the resort to ensure we are good value for money.

We pride ourselves on offering a fabulous, friendly and professional product and service, for which we appear to have fallen well short of on this occasion. I would hope that you provide us with another opportunity in the future to restore your faith in our brand, product and service.

Bangkok
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We spent 3 nights from 9 Aug - 12 Aug 2014 in Le Meridien, Chiang Rai.
It was a good stay in this nice hotel though there was a problem about transportation from Airport to the hotel. However, it was a nice touch from the hotel for the free cookies and transportation from the hotel to the Airport.
Moreover we are extremely thankful to the hotel for arranging the Papaya beautifully though we just simply requested for a knife.
I would definitely stay in this hotel again in the future.

About the trip in Chiang Rai, we visited :
- Mae Sai
- Golden triangle and trip by the long tail boat, and then to Donesao in Laos
- Mae Salong
- Tea tasting at 101 Tea center
- White Temple ( Wat Rong Khun )
- Doi Tung
- Long Neck village
- Black house ( Baan Dam )
- Singha park
It was a nice and enjoyable trip.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear MarongDragon

Thank you very much for this positive and encouraging review.
I am delighted that we made your stay special and memorable.
Thank you again for your kind comments.

Kind regards
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I chose Le Meridien based on the good reviews on Trip Advisor. Unfortunately, my expectations were not met. Our stay was 6 nights and rather less than ordinary in my opinion. Le Meridien Chiang Rai is more like a hotel than a resort.

Good:
1. The actual rooms are beautifully and functionally designed. Well appointed rooms. Tall ceilings and river view.
2. Complimentary bottled water on request.

Bad:
1. Mix up with the hotel's transfer. The bus company's staff had also made matters worse by directing us to the wrong bus stop station. After contacting the hotel, we were left waiting for hours to be picked up at the bus station by the hotel. The hotel made good by not charging us their transfer.
2. The hotel is located quite far from nowhere! The hotel offers a mini shuttle bus service to town (return for 100baht per person). There are a couple of restaurants 5 minutes walk from the hotel.
3. Besides the gym and swimming pool, there are no organised activities within this "resort".
4. At times getting service at the pool bar and the restaurant was difficult. Staff seemed not interested.
5. Cable channel periodically went out of service.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mahiwahoo
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Mahiwahoo,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. We very much appreciate it as it allows us the opportunity to be constantly improving our products and services.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our beautiful property. They are very much appreciated and I will be sure to share them with the team.

I sincerely apologise for the confusion surrounding your transfer. As your review is anonymous and occurred in June I am unable to determine through the transport company what has occurred. I would be happy to discuss the incident with you further should you wish to. My direct email address is stephen.morahan@lemeridien.com.

I am surprised that you found the distance of the resort from town challenging as we are approximately 5 kilometers to Chiang Rai town centre. As you have mentioned, through a third party, we offer a shuttle service for return THB50 per person in and out of the town centre on a regular basis. We will review these times to ensure that we are effectively catering for our guest’s requirements.

I apologise for the poor service you have received by the pool. This is very disappointing to hear and indeed we must improve. I will discuss this issue further with our Director of Culinary and food and beverage teams for immediate improvement.

Again, I am very sorry that we have not provided you with the experience you would expect from the Le Meridien Chiang Rai, and would hope that you would provide us with another opportunity in the future to restore your faith in our product and service.

Changchun, China
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This hotel is by far the best in the Chiang Rai/golden triangle region wit the 4 season. It has an excellent location in Chiang Rai as it is facing the river with lots of open space.
The staff is very friendly with good English proficiency. The kids club under the supervision of K.Men is great for children and right next to the pool for parents.
We were fortunate to avail the package from the hotel website (by far the cheapest rate there is on the internet) which included a free breakfast, free one buffet lunch and a 30 minutes massage for two in an oversize Deluxe bedroom for 4000B a night (our two kids sleep for free/day bed is complementary). At that price for a family of 4 there is strictly nothing that can compare on the market.
Great pluses are: free bottled mineral water at the pool, relaxed and serene atmosphere, efficient room service and the quality of the food especially the cakes served at lunch/dinner probably the best I have eaten in Thailand for a long time. My personal favorites include: creme brulee, the red berry and the rhubarb compote (for breakfast), the raspberry tart.
As the hotel is connected to the Mae fah Luang foundation we went to have a look (for free) at their art exhibit an opportunity for the kids to see/do something a little different from usual.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for couples, honeymooners and food lovers in this part of Thailand.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Sebastien G

How kind you are. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this detailed review. When guests are so generous with their time to post a Trip Advisor review, I do think it’s important that I do the courtesy of responding. I thank you for your positive comments about our wonderful and beautiful hotel. It is very pleasing to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us.
Firstly, I must thank you for highlighting one of our team in your review. Khun Men assisted with your children at Kids Club. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to recognize his great work. He was delighted by your comments and warm words.
Thank you also for your comments regarding pricing. I do continue to our prices – our aim is to remain competitive with other similar hotels and ensure that we offer value for money.
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the food especially cakes served at lunch and dinner buffet. We have spent a lot of time designing this offering – to meet the palates of both Asian and western guests. Variety is indeed the “spice of life” and so we have tried to extend the quality of our range as far as our buffet display will allow. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed it.

Thank you again for your kind comments about our resort and our team. I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you again in Chiang Rai.

With kind regards