Akha Hill House
US$40
US$56
US$53
Agoda.com
Kham Thana Hotel(Chiang Rai)
US$73
US$55
US$45
US$37
Amarin Resort(Chiang Rai)
US$38
US$36
Agoda.com
La Belle Hotel(Chiang Rai)(Great Value!)
US$26
US$21
Ben Guesthouse(Chiang Rai)
US$18
US$15
Pa Sak Tong(Chiang Rai)
US$1,314
All reviewsbring snacksjungle retreatchinese villagetrekkingbamboo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We booked to go to Akha hill house forgetting to check trip advisor! We were lucky i suppose after reading reviews.
Some of their problems are not yet solved in my opinion. We were picked up in a rav4 and trip was fine to hill house. Communication problems between office in city and hill still evident. They were unaware that we specifically wanted the cheaper room, and commenced to take us to another! If if was busy, we may have been "ripped off" as well, like other reviewers.
WE HAD RESORT ALL TO OURSELVES. maybe thanks to tripadvisor. Looks like owner lost interest, "museum" run down, everything Ok but tired. You can walk 2 km to valley and get cheap local priced food. Waterfall and tea walks worth the trip to hill house.
OK in summary, a great TWO day trip. they pick u up at 4pm and return at 9am so 1 night not suitable. When including drive, it is only 300 baht each (twin share) to go, much cheaper than a tour, so i will give it three stars. I would get booking persons name and specifically request they ring hill house and give guarantee of 300 baht room. then on confirmation refuse to pay any more.

Room Tip: virtually NO difference between cheap rooms and overpriced ones, Dont pay more than 300 for a room room p1 and p2 have good views for 300
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2013

This is not for the faint hearted, the trek is physically very demanding. There are more Mosquitos than all the deet of your dreams could deal with. The food is not great; tasteless and not nutritious, largely cabbage based so BRING SNACKs! But it is beautiful and you get to see a Thailand that is no more. I would never do it again, but it was spectacular. If you decide to do it then please, please remember food.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 26 March 2013

dangerous smoke in the area makes any view impossible. staff is poorly managed and most are new there. rooms and toilet are dirty and poorly constructed. dangerous railing, be very careful that you fall over it. tours are VERY overpriced. motorbikes start very early and you are right on the road, so there is no avoiding it.

Room Tip: look for other options in Chiang Rai
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank GVAN_12
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Only the place and nature are amazing. Dirty places everywhere. The badest bed on my four week trip in thailand. Old, curved and smelly matrass with bedbugs. Food was not good and too expensive. Always insects in it. The waterfall is great but has nothing to do with this. Try to make a daytrip. Btw: the akhkas are celebrating some nights. With a discosound that you cant get sleep till they stop it (maybe 3 am).

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank namidna
Reviewed 29 January 2013

We read about Akha Hill House in our Rough Guides book and decided to give it a try without looking at reviews...big mistake. We found the Akha River House (A branch owned by the same people but located in the city of Chaing Rai) and asked everyone about Akha Hill House. The first person we talked to seemed to be in a rush and didn't give us much information. We attributed this to the fact that he was eating so we brushed it off. We asked him if the 250 Baht double room was available for the next day. He told us he had one left and we could have it. He also told us to meet him at the bus station at 4pm. He didn't take our name or any information, so we found this to be a bit sketchy. This guy left and we talked to the rest of the staff at the River House. One of them told me to call the Hill House as they didn't know their reservation status. We called the following morning to the number in the Rough Guides book. The person on the other line just picked up and said "Hello?". I asked if it was the Akha Hill House and he said yes it was. I asked again if there was a 250 Baht room available for that night. He said there was. I asked him if we could reserve the room for ourselves tonight because we did not want to arrive and have to pay more. He confirmed that we could have the 250 Baht room. Again he did not take down my name even though I specifically asked, "Can you take our name for the reservation?" He said no, it wasn't a problem and we could have the room.

So we made our way to the bus station at 4pm. We were greeted warmly by the man who was in a rush the day before. After reading other reviews, this must have been the "busy man" mentioned in so many other reviews. He told us we were waiting for 2 other guests and we would leave shorty. After 30 minutes of waiting, they told us to go to the truck. We then waited by the truck for another 30 minutes before the "busy man" asked us if we called to reserve the room that day. We confirmed that we did call. He instantly got upset and told us it was our fault we were leaving late. He told us, "I told you not to call last night." He said no such thing, nor would we have thought that to be normal if he had. He told us that he will now lose customers because of us and we should not have called. Of course we stood up for ourselves and replied, "I'm sorry your staff do not communicate with you well, but this is not our fault. If you or your staff would have taken our name for the reservation we asked for twice, none of this would have happened." He repeated his blame on us again by telling us it was not his fault but our own. We then told him we would be happy to leave the truck if he thought it was our fault. He didn't say another word.

We thought about getting out of the truck at this point, but I assured my girlfriend that it could only get better from here....wrong. We stopped at another hostel nearby and waited for 10 minutes for no one and nothing. The busy man then told us that the people we were picking up "must have changed their minds because of how late you made us." I still am not sure why we did not just pick up our bags and leave at this point, but the promise of waterfall and hot spring trekking kept us going. I bit my lip and just sat quietly.

We ended up picking up 4 others at the River House and then returned to the place the people "must have changed their minds" to pick up another 2. I should confirm at this point that we were all standing in the back of a pickup truck with plenty of luggage and food stocks...we thought it was adventurous, but you may think not. Then it started to rain...hard... We were given garbage bags for rain cover...which we still thought to be quite adventurous and we all laughed at and had a good time...but just beware...

When we arrived at the hill house, you will never guess what happened…well you probably can. We were informed that all of the 250 Baht rooms were full….my blood started to boil. I tried to keep a normal speaking tone but I shortly lost my temper after he told me he could lower the price to 250 if we promised to take a 1100 Baht guided tour the next day. I laughed a bitter laugh and told him, "No, you told us yesterday 250 Baht, and we called again today to confirm that price. We will be paying that price." He told us, "There is nothing I can do. Some independent travelers came today and took the 250 Baht room." I replied, "That is why we reserved with you yesterday, and called again today…to confirm that we could have a 250 Baht room." "Fine," he said, "You can pay 250 Baht for the room but I will take you back to the city tomorrow morning." "No, we want to stay for 2 nights and do some trekking tomorrow." "Then you will pay 300 Baht tonight." "No we will not." "Its just 50 Baht." "I don't care how much the difference is. You promised us a price and you are not giving it to us. And if its just 50 Baht, then you can give us the 300 Baht room for 250."

This conversation went in circles for nearly 10 minutes before we finally agreed to pay 300 Baht. He would not drive us back into town and thus their scam had succeeded despite our best attempts to avoid it. We should also mention that an older couple from France was promised a 350 Baht room and was given a "700 Baht room but we will be nice and give it to you for 500." room.

Please do not support these scamming individuals who are making a bad name for the rest of the amazing tourism in Thailand.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple