“Not a bad place, good restaurant on site”
Review of Lek House

Lek House
Ranked #45 of 109 Hotels in Chiang Rai
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Not a bad place, good restaurant on site”
Reviewed 7 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed here 3 nights at 500 baht a night. The rooms are ok, I think they are renevating them which is good as they are a little shabby. The main thing I would have changed is to have Mosquito nets on to cover the shutter gaps in the window - they can come in quite easily.
Also the wc is part of the room, so no privacy if you need it.

The restaurant has some quality food and at good value. There is a small pool which looks good for relaxing in the heat.

Overall lek house is value for money and has a good location. Fine for a short stay.

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank Alex G

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Thai first
Mill Valley, California
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We stayed here for only 1 night, but found it to be a nice, clean place with a funny pool and Ting, who is nice as anything. We stayed in the NON-ac room which was fine. The bed's are not the softest, but that seems common in Thailand. Ting was great, calling us a taxi, getting us motorbikes, letting us use her cell phone to call chiang mai at no charge and telling us everything we needed to know. we looked at a few other places as well and this seemed like a good deal at 350baht.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank addict2
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We stayed 4 nights in the air con rooms and really liked it. Big bed and nice bathroom. Bathroom is very open so only suitable for couples - their smaller backpacker rooms had the bathroom as a private separate room so ok for friends. Used the pool and pool bar, a cool addition to this guesthouse. Spotlessly clean and quiet at night.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cinnamon M
Gold Coast
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We stayed for 2 nights at Lek House and to be honest we were only sleeping there, so there's not much to complain about. I guess my only gripe would be that the toilet and bathroom in our room was open to the bedroom so on the last night when I was very sick, the rest of my family had to endure my moans and groans from the bathroom, in this respect I would prefer a closed in bathroom. There are also issues with mould and I would get some strong bleach working on that, but I know from my own experience that when you live in a tropical area, the fight against mould is really hard. I would also ask that they maintain the pool better and possibly paint it another colour other than black, which wasn't very welcoming.

I can't fault the people who run the place, they were super friendly and went out of there way to make me comfortable on my second night when I was feeling less than wonderful. They also took us to the airport at no charge, although we insisted on a payment to at least cover their fuel expenses.

We liked the location of Lek House, the traffic didn't really bother us and it was only 10-15 minute walk to the night market through a very local shopping and dining area.

I would stay at Lek House again, although hopefully they might turn the VERY cold air conditioning down as we just couldn't adjust it while there and lucky the beds had very warm quilts on them.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Cassnu
Hoi An, Vietnam
Reviewed 9 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed five nights and really enjoyed our stay. During our stay we also saw some leaves in the swimming pool but come on, there are trees surrounding the pool so that's quite normal. During our stay the swimming pool get a good cleaning of a few hours. We didn't had any problems with any noise. The pros of this hotel: great location, good recommendations of the surrounding area from the staff, some nice movies you can borrow to see in your room, nice music at the bar at the swimming pool, rooms very clean and service in the room we normally expect in top range hotels (like three towels each and showergel and shampoo). The price we payed was also included breakfast and thats great value! (coffee or tea, toast butter and jam, juice and scrambled or fried egss.) So a great place to stay for discovering Chiang rai.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank PeterDaphne2
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We came here thinking we could use the swimming pool but it's not available: the water is dirty and nobody seems to care.
The rooms are very small though clean.
The staff is a bummer, their English 0,0.
Located at a very noisy street, you will hear the cars passing by.
Absolutely overpriced.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mariano_Slutzky

Travellers are raving about these Chiang Rai hotels

UK
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Lek House is a nice mid-range guesthouse/B&B, NOT a hotel.
Pros: comfy bed, electric mozzie repeller thing in room, fairly clean room & bathroom.
Cons: toilet hose in bathroom broken, next to fairly busy road so can hear traffic noise pretty much all the time, mould growing on tile sealant in bathroom, extortionate laundry charges, pool not clean, breakfast not great - oh and no soap for the bathroom!
Cotton buds and 2 sachets of shampoo provided though!
I paid 350BHT for a double en-suite room with breakfast included. Think I would rather have paid just for the room and gone elsewhere for breakfast.
Lek House is about a 10 minute walk from the centre of Chiang Rai. The road it's on is pretty busy at most times. The traffic noise didn't stop me from sleeping, but then not much does!
The staff seemed friendly enough but only the day staff can speak English.
There's a sign up by reception that says if you've a compliant then please tell them as 'bad internet reviews' are ruining their business. Didn't think there was much point in me complaining as the things that I had issue with - the mould & broken hose - had been that way for a while!
Not sure I'd recommend this place. Definitely wouldn't be my first choice if I were in Chiang Rai again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road & if you do decide to stay here ask if they do a room rate not...