“Absolutely beautiful!”

and 1 more site!
PAN KLED VILLA eco hill resort
Ranked #15 of 108 Hotels in Chiang Rai
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Okay, I make this review based on the beautiful garden settings of this guest House. Also known as Pankled Villa. It is about 2 & 1/2 kilometres from the night bazaar area. The rooms are cabins, each with a small balcony and each surrounded by beautiful tropical gardens. The rooms have a/con, fans and TV. Yes. the TV's are a little dated but we didn't use them. The bathrooms are down a couple of steps, good hot water. Good housekeeping.
There is a restaurant on site and we were impressed. They have local Northern food and western dishes. The cost of beer and wine was good. The setting is magical, looking out at water features and lush gardens. Breakfast included. Friendly staff and we will stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 March 2014

The rooms are lovely and the staff were very helpful, the walk isn't that bad into the town and the wifi was good, the breakfasts were lacking a bit. Not particularly social but i'd say generally good value

Room Tip: Don't think you can go wrong really
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Ok so I booked this hotel through an agoda special. Arrived at night, tuk tuk kept driving further and further away from the centre - didn't worry or really notice cause it was dark and I was tired. Arrived, very nice entranceway and huge reception/lobby/restaurant area. Pleasantly surprised.
Staff was very friendly, didn't speak much English but I have at this point got used to this so sign language it is and broken phrases spoken. He brought me to my hut, on first inspection (well just look inside) lovely!!! Ensuite wet room, not a western toilet but didn't expect this, bed was huge, and there was a tv with a few channels. And complementary water so sorted. Basic amenities pour moi and a bed which I dived into and went straight to sleep.
The next day however not so great, breakfast is standard for Thailand. The English barrier was more apparent in the light of day, not much for vegetarians to eat - for all you vegetarians out there. My room that night was not pleasant, and there was bugs and ants in my room as well as all I can imagine was the scratches, whimpers and crawling of rats in the framework of my hut so naturally I didn't sleep.
Town is far, but I managed to walk it in about 30mins, but I like walking so was fine for me although there is not much to see.
This place is good for a stopover, so you have time to see the sights (they do have scooters for hire also so not bad) white temple, black house. But for long periods of stay I would not recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the restaurant area as it does get loud in the mornings and nights, for bot...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Natalia D
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Pankled villa is the best place I've stayed in Thailand! Outstanding service: the owners and the stuff are very polite and helpful, trying to fulfill every possible wish of their customer. The traditional wooden huts are super nice and cosy, VERY CLEAN and spacious, with huge beds (beds are hard, like in every guest house in Thailand :)). Rooms get cleaned and towels get changed every day, you get free drinking water in your room. In the morning you get free tea and coffee (breakfast is included in peak season only). Wifi connection actually reached my room (# 205), although it wasnt promised. Wifi works perfectly in the restaurant area. Food in the restaurant was amazing, big selection of traditional northern Thai food. The interior design of the restaurant and reception area is very beautiful and inviting, plus they had NICE Thai music there every night (not what you hear in Thai buses))). The place is located a bit far away from Chiang Rai town, but honestly I wish it was even further....as the town isnt nice at all, but the countryside around Chiang Rai is wonderful. As I was alone, the stuff would always offer me a ride to the bus station, which was very nice of them. Another good thing, I didnt want to take any tours, so owners and stuff explained to me which buses to take around Chiang Rai area to see places, so I had a great day visiting tea plantations around Mae Salong. I walked to Akha village and didnt have to pay a crazy tour price for that. Pankled villa is a very quiet place, I could easily sleep until midday, and wake up hearing birds singing by my window. I really didnt want to leave this place! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I was really excited about staying at this guesthouse, and I hate to be the sour apple of the reviews, but my stay wasn't as pleasant as I'd hoped. I visited during the slow season so they definitely had a room for me. I was charged 450 baht for a one-bedroom little wooden cottage which was so cute and nice-looking. I should have only paid for one night as I was staying in Chiang Rai for two but would have moved after the first. They unfortunately charged up front.

On Hostelworld, they advertise: Television with Satellite channels in the room, free Wi-Fi in-room

The television gives the black and white snow for all channels except for one which is in Thai. There is no satellite.

There is NO WI-FI IN THE ROOMS. So if you want to use the common space internet in the evening, you better have a fan on full blast in front of you otherwise you're mosquito meat.

After an evening of in-town night bazaar and wanderings, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE A TUK TUK BACK TO THE GUESTHOUSE. Like many other places in Thailand, there are feral dogs hanging around the street the guesthouse is on and the yip and holler til around 11pm. Rabies, anyone?

This brings me to the bed, which was covered in ants, which I excused due to the rustic charm of the cottage. The ants would have been fine had the bed not been so uncomfortable. if you lift up the sheet, it's basically a school bus pad. I've lived in Vietnam on more comfortable hard mattresses than this.

In the morning, I went out for breakfast, and in the most graded language I could, asked if the breakfast was included in the room price. I asked "I pay for breakfast? or I don't pay for breakfast?" and she replied "you already pay" so I ordered some eggs and toast and enjoyed them. After finishing, I was mounting my rented motorbike when she came barreling down the stairs saying that I needed to pay. I told her that is why I asked in the beginning, and she apologized, but English is not strongly spoken by any of the staff I encountered at Buffalo Hill, so don't expect any activity recommendations or really any conversation of any sort. They were very nice, but on this very basic level of asking if something is included or not, I would think that they should know this vocabulary.

In the end, a tuk tuk could not be arranged to the bus station, so she called for a taxi using the word "farang" (foreigner) in her request. I knew what was coming but I hadn't expected a rude, racist driver like the one that pulled up. He didn't greet me after I said hello or help me with my bags. There was a language miscommunication when I asked about his starting rate of 50 Baht even before we left the guesthouse and he became very angry shouting "you americans! All the same!" Obviously he's had some passenger troubles in the past, so I shut my mouth and enjoyed the scenery outside the window as we drove around the entire city in the most circuitous route possible.

I can't recommend Buffalo Hill Guesthouse at this point and believe they have some improvements to make. Their decor and garden are very nice but I wish I would have just stayed in the city.

Room Tip: Maybe they'll have one with wi-fi when you go...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Kbot5
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Buffalo Guesthouse (Pankled Villa)

This is an easy review to write. The food is good and the menu is a comprehensive Thai one (English sub). The coffee is instant with creamers, so naturally quite disgusting. The receptionist come waitress Aoa is fun and helpful and speaks good English. The resort is made up of spartan but pretty wooden huts set in a lush green garden. The restaurant has a cosy feel somewhat dampened by the hardwood seating which has no damping. This prepares you for your bed I suppose! This brings me to the but, and it's a big but! If you want a night's rest go somewhere else. Here you will go to bed to a cacophony of dogs, howling, barking, yapping and any other noises that dogs can accomplish. Then the mattress seemed to be filled with concrete and if you actually manage to drop off at all after tossing and turning all night you will be awakened by the "Big Brother" voice belting out of a speaker on a pole near you, and this is at seven a.m. There are at least four of these "public information" loudspeakers surrounding the resort. This will be followed by the roosters and a re-run of the dog symphony from the night before which was in turn followed up by a cat's chorus and then the shouting and hollering of humans. This madness continues until you have no other option than to get up and join in.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hanuman-Haa
Reviewed 12 December 2012

The big busses can't get to this place. Thank goodness it is a sanctuary of peace in a small community just 5 mins from central Chiang Rai. Excellent value for money ThB700 for two,people in aircon room, but at this time of the year hardly used it. I suppose the drawback is that it is mainly Asian tourists (which is okay) but what I mean is that the central hotel facilities are really quiet after 5pm. The restaurant is great, the rooms are serviced every day, the staff are very friendly.
Breakfast is included but if you don't ask for e tras then you may stay hungry, the staff adapted our breakfast very well. As we were zooming around the district photographing all we needed was somewhere to crash. The rooms are small but adequate, definitely not 3 star plus but excellent value for your baht.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple