“I love this place!”
Review of Baan Nattawadee

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chiang Rai
Baan Nattawadee
Ranked #26 of 181 Chiang Rai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 August 2012

This was my third stay at this hotel and I have already booked my next stay. I love this place, because it is comfortable, the people who own and work at it are warm and friendly, the breakfasts are made to order and are absolutely delicious. The place has an ambiance that creates warmth and a sense of relaxation with a local Thai flair. We stayed in late June 2012 so it was low season and not very crowded.

I love the outdoor covered dining/bar space they have created with a very large table that is suited to large groups wanting to have dinner together. It is a great supplement to the smaller tables that surround the outdoor gardens and the indoor dining/gathering spaces. When we have sat at night around the big dining table with a couple of bottles of wine and great friends, the staff is quick to find wine glasses for our use and open the wine. Baan Nattawadee sells beer but not wine, so they don’t mind if you bring your own.

We booked 3 rooms, as I was traveling with a group of friends. Check in was perfect. We arrived early but they had our rooms ready. Despite having several bags (we had gifts for kids at a local Children’s Home with us) the staff carries them up the stairs for you. The rooms are on the ground, second and third floors. All rooms are really spacious and have a bathroom that is across a little indoor hall (all within your room), which makes the rooms seem even larger. Our rooms had balconies that overlooked the river and trees. The beds are comfortable and they provide complimentary soft drinks and snacks in the room.

Service: Nothing is too much trouble. They prepare breakfast at whatever time you want to eat. You can sit for a couple hours and linger over coffee, tea and juices before or after your main breakfast, or you can have a quick breakfast if you are off for a day of touring. They serve Starbucks coffee, which was a wonderful “find” at a 3 star hotel.

Atmosphere: The grounds are lovely. The hotel has 3 stories and about 18 rooms. There is a lovely open courtyard where one can take their breakfast or dinner or just sit and read a book and relax. It is a short bike ride (2 or 3 minutes) from the “Chiang Rai beach” which is along the edge of the MeKok River. The hotel offers bicycles at no charge to its guests, so we all took a bike ride to the River and sat and had a beer at one of the local stalls.

Location: The hotel is about a 10-minute ride from town (depending on whether you are in private transport, taxi or tuk tuk it can be a few minutes more or less). The fare to town was about 100 baht. It is in a quiet area so we had no difficulty with noise or busy streets and loved being able to relax here at the end of the day.

This remains one of my favorite small hotels in Thailand. It isn’t a five star hotel, but it is extremely clean, very warm, good bathrooms, beautiful views and has great food in a lovely local establishment. I visit Chiang Rai often and I always find myself wanting to come back to this place for 3 or 4 days.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed here last week for 3 nights and was absolutely wonderful. Fong and her family and staff treat you like part of the family. The breakfast each morning was some of the best food we ate on our holiday - you have a choice of Thai or American. Room was really huge with a lovely view and kept immaculately clean. It is a little bit out of town near Chaing Rai beach but that makes it very peaceful. Staff will call a cab for you if needed. They also organised a motor bike rental for us which was great. Would definatley stay here again if we return to Chiang Rai.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank heliconia9PerthWa
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We enjoyed our time here, Fong picked us up at the bus station, the room was comfortable, we enjoyed riding the bikes they provide, the only downside is the hotel is out of town, it's 100 bht each time you want to go into town and back. We left our luggage in our room and spent the night up at Mae Salong, we fully expected to pay for the night while we were away but Fong insisted on not charging us, which we appreciated as it allowed us to spend more money at the orphanage.

Room Tip: if you dont want to climb stairs choose a room on the ground floor
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EllaQueensland
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I made this my home away from home a few days in late April, early May 2012 and was so delighted with my time there. The accommodations were very pleasant with a very comfortable bed, quiet area and the best food I had while in Thailand. The breakfast were the most I've ever had in a B & B or other such facility and certainly I chose the Thai option over the American breakfast. Excellent !! The owners and their family were so helpful when I had questions, needed directions, or any other such needs. A family operation and they were there to serve. With it being low tourism when I visited, my stay was like being their very own special family guest. So glad I chose to stay here and would without hesitation recommend this facility.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

We first met Fong when she came to pick us up after a taxi driver from the sirport had driven us to the wrong Baan. We didn't notice till the desk person told us but at that stage we were tired and just wanted to sleep.
Fong greeted us with a big smile and that set the tone for the four days we were at Baan Nattawaddee. The staff met us with great smiles and helped us with the luggage and a welcome cup of coffee and fresh fruit.
The staff are fabulous although communication is difficult they try very hard and end up working it out. Ton and Fong make you feel so welcome, like part of an extended family, and nothing is a problem.
All trips, tuk tuks etc are provided at Thai prices and not tourist prices.
The room we had was huge with views towards the mountains. A big bathroom, fridge, TV, wifi and a balcony for a quiet beer made for a great place to stay.
It is a bit out of town but the transport is readily available and if you ask for transport at a perticular time it is there waiting. The staff explain to the driver where you want to go so getting around is very easy.
Leaving Baan Nattawadde was hard as we were made so welcome all during the stay. We will always cherish our time there.
Cannot recommend highly enough and will if we ever get back to Chiang Rai we will look up Fong and Ton and enjoy their hospitality once again.
The only down side is the noisy parties down near the river but these quiten around 10pm.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have balconies looking towards the mountain and park.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Alan B
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Lots of reviews give this place 5* and rightly so. Do bear in mind that this is a guest house/B&B though and don't expect the Ritz.
Rooms are very clean and, for Thailand, the beds were comfortable without being rock-hard. After reading some of the reviews we went for one on the third floor (1500 Bt) and were a little disappointed that we didn't have a balcony (I think that only one room on each storey does), but this was made up for by the huge room. The bathroom had an electric shower only and the water temperature was a bit variable.
Our room had a refrigerator with complimentary water, and we were also allowed to use the hotel's bikes.
Rooms look out towards the river and Chiang Rai "beach" (a sand bank on the river) is close by. There is a bit of a downside as some of the locals drive their pick-up trucks to the beach at night, drink beer and play loud music which can be heard in the rooms. When we were there this had finished by about 10.30pm, but apparently gets worse during Songkran (mid-April)
People have mentioned the location being out of town - it didn't bother us as plenty of tuk tuks are available and there is so little to do in Chiang Rai at night that the ride into town and back is probably the most exciting thing to do! We paid 80Bt each way for a 5 - 7 minute ride.
The owners Ton and Fong really make this place special and their staff go out of their way to make you welcome and look after you. Both Ton and Fong speak excellent English, but it helps to have a Thai phrasebook if you want to talk to the staff
For breakfast there is a choice of "American" or Thai food. Both are good, big portions and cooked to order.
WiFi is free with a fast connection - why can't the big hotel chains offer free WiFi??

Overall a great place to stay and we'd have no hesitation in returning.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kmr1809
Reviewed 8 March 2012

In fact, it's been over one year since I stayed at Baan Nattawadee in October 2010. But I can stay remember the place as if I just left yesterday. The courtyard that's full of green, the room overlooking the nature, the gracious breakfast, and the warmth of its owners Fong and Ton, who are really friendly and caring. Ton took me to a yummy localised fish congee stand when picking me up on the arrival day; Fong recommended me to a popular local restaurant specialising in fish and shrimp for dinner and I had real fun eating with an American couple Salley and Hank who also stayed there (hope they still remember me :)). And they arranged a private day-tour for me with really good price and its real fun. BTW, if you like challenge, please join the chiangrai bike tour, it's real fun:)

Recently I looked through the photos of past years and recalled lots of beautiful memories, that's why I decided to write something on tripadvisor :)

Fong and Ton, do you still remember me?:) Send regards to your cute baby girl and a bit shy boy :)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo