“Great Family Run, Quiet and Lovely Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Baan Nattawadee

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chiang Rai
Baan Nattawadee
Ranked #25 of 161 Chiang Rai B&B and Inns
United States
“Great Family Run, Quiet and Lovely Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is a lovely little hotel in a quiet spot a little outside of downtown Chiang Rai, but only a quick Tuk-tuk ride away. Fong and Ton, the hosts were wonderful, the rooms were comfortable and the home style Thai breakfast that they made us every morning was simply marvellous. Ton's sister was there during the three days we stayed and she was very helpful and friendly. I hope I get a chance to stay again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Travels_with_Tea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Thai first
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

If you are looking for a reasonably priced ($30 to $45 per night) small hotel, where you are treated like family, this is it! It is not fancy, however it is very comfortable, clean and efficiently run. What makes it a standout however, are the folks, Fong and Ton who own the place. If you are sick (as I was) they will make you chicken soup and hover over you until you feel better. The son, aged 8, even gave me a tour of my room, in English, when I checked in!
This was better than most of the other fancier places I stayed on in my trip. I will most certainly be returning soon to this gem of a hotel! Thank you!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jenniferCalifornia
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I knew we had arrived somewhere special when almost as soon as we landed in Baan Nattawadee, the lovely owner, Fong, invited me to see her marmalade-making operation in the kitchen! I had recently made two modest batches at home, but she was in full serious production mode, helping out a friend who makes 2-300 jars each year for a charity project. It was so lovely to see the gleaming copper pots of skins and smaller pots of the pips waiting to give up their pectin...

But our admiration for Baan Natawadee increased as we continued our stay. We slept in the most comfortable beds we have slept in in Thailand - a combination of the characteristic Thai hardness with a bit of softness - perfect! The courtyard is beautiful - a cool place to be, both in temperature, because of the profusion of green growth, and in ambience. There is an espresso machine always ready - you just press the button and it grinds the coffee and makes you a cup. Again, perfect!

It feels like being amongst an extended family: the owners Ton and Fong and their children, as well as Lui and their neighbour Bunny all made us welcome. Go for the Thai breakfast - you'll get an assortment of dishes beautifully cooked and different each day. Wonderful!

We will be back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank spopey15
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We spent two nights here during our 17 day tour of Thailand and the family who owns this hotel did everything they could to make us feel welcome and part of their family. We arrived around dinner time and they invited us to dinner and served us dish after dish of homemade Thai food, free of charge. They did the same thing at breakfast, serving us both Western food and their own Thai food and talking with us about their children, current affairs, and their lives in Thailand. Our room was huge and extremely clean and the staff that work here are incredibly kind and helpful as well. We walked into town (25 minutes) one way, but they do have bikes to take or you can call a tuk-tuk for a few dollars. The hotel backs a park so is VERY quiet at night and feels like you are in a rural area, but are very close to town. Highly recommended!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelforfunSeattle
Loveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

We are staying at this hotel for 3 weeks. This was a second stay for my husband & me. During this stay my husband & a fellow traveler contracted respiratory infections. The owners and staff at this hotel were absolutely wonderful. They made hot soup and other foods that are good for your health. The sick travelers were so very well cared for. I can't say enough about the caring staff.

Room Tip: We were on the upper level so rooms have balconies.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank othotraveler
birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

I stayed here in June for 4 nights and it in my opinion is a fantastic base to explore North Thailand and worth the 4 hour coach journey North from Chiang Mai.

The guesthouse is a few kilometeres out of the centre of Chiang Rai, we were picked up free of charge from the bus station and given a quick tour of the city centre and then driven to the guesthouse in a quiet part of the city adjacent to Chiang Rai beach, which is a beach area by the Kok river. The beach area is popular with locals on weekends and feature huts that cover you from the Thai heat where you can sit and order snacks from passing vendors. The area around the guesthouse is extremely quiet on a night but if you want to visit the bars and night plaza in the city taxis can be ordered and are cheap at 50bhts and get there within 10 minutes.

The room was spacious and clean with a huge scenic window showing beautiful, quiet gardens. The bathroom was fine, air con was good, coffee machine and water was provided.

Bikes are provided to use free of charge for guests and are well maintained and handy for exploring the beach or the soi and lanes near the hotel. Cycling into Chiang Rai isn't too strenuous, it's about a 3km ride on flat roads that are pretty quite. The owner will also provide maps if you wish to venture a little further out. I did a mini morning self guided tour around the other side of the river to visit the budda caves which was a great way to work off the fabulous breakfast they make for you here...

I love my breakfasts and have been lucky enough to eat amazing buffet breakfasts in Traders in KL, Lebua in Bangkok and the Wynn buffet in Vegas. But my all time favorite breakfasts have been the homecooked offerings here. Each day was different, but a sample breakfast would be Kao Dtom (boiled rice) with sides of salted egg, flavoursome asian greens and some pork or another day an omelette with asian greens, a soup with pork stuffed gourd and rice and a few home made sweet treats followed by fruits and some high quality coffee.

The price of a room was 1700bht a night booked direct and this represents great value. I got the impression the owners Ton and Fong run this place not as a business but a place to greet new friends and show off this wonderful part of Thailand.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank tcleaner
phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

We loved this place....it was out of town, but that was a good thing, because town isn't that interesting.......only 60B to get into town...........close to the river, they arranged many trips for us, great meals, lovely people, great kids, so perfect for us.........

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple