“Clean but noisy”
Review of Jansom House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chiang Rai
Jansom House
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Rooms were clean and tidy, but the main drawback was unfortunately that there was a lot of noise from the other rooms.
Breakfast consists of DIY toast, butter, marmelade, bananas and instant coffee or tea. All in all good value, but not more.

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

I was surprised by the negative reviews on here. I thought Jansom was great! We stayed in another place nearby and Jansom offered better value for the money. 400 baht/night for a fridge, two big bottles of water, A/C, hot water shower, breakfast.

Furniture in room was plentiful and good quality -- I work on the road so the desk was appreciated! Lovely courtyard with plants. Loved the breakfast room. Wi-fi was strong and consistent.

Staff were distant but what are you going to do?! These high turnover places listed in Lonely Planet never have friendly staff, at least in Thailand. The location was also fantastic -- a quick walk from the night market, restaurants and the bus station.

Also, when you are paying $13/night there is NO way you get to complain about ANY breakfast, especially if you are splitting the cost. The toast and bananas is basic but definitely adequate to fuel me up. They give you a choice of coffee or Chinese tea too. Another place we stayed at in Chiang Rai charged 350 baht for a fan room (no fridge, no water) with breakfast being an additional 100 to start. So bananas and toast, you are looking mighty fine!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bronwyn17
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I absolutely agree with joshkinnersley's review. I too was persuaded to try the Jansom House on the strength of its glowing review in Lonely Planet which claimed it had "spotless, spacious rooms" and was "excellent value."
That was not my experience. I had a very basic, rather grubby, average-sized room with a poky, en-suite shower room. For what was offered, I thought it represented poor value especially when, for the equivalent of UK£3 a night more, you could stay at the modern, comfortable and welcoming Diamond Park Inn, two minutes' s walk away - which I moved to the following day. Literally within an hour of my arrival, I was planning my escape. I hadn't been impressed with the unwelcoming woman on reception - the sort who make you feel as if they're doing you a favour by offering you a room. As for breakfast: it was a case of help-yourself to instant coffee, toast, butter, marmalade - and a banana. The whole attitude of the guesthouse seemed to be: take it or leave it. To which my advice to other travellers would be: leave it!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank pcl58
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We arrived in Chiang Rai and headed to Jansom Guest House, upon the recommendation of Lonely Planet. We thought they were quite generous with their glowing review. We were greeted by a miserable receptionist, who remained equally glum and rude from arrival until check out. Our room was basic, gloomy and smelt a bit damp. We had high hopes for the free breakfast, but this was just a banana and DIY toast and marmalade. Not a terrible place to stay, but certainly much better options in the area and didn't live up to the misleading Lonely Planet review.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joshkinnersley
Reviewed 2 March 2014

A few of us stayed here on a golf trip & the location was spot on, at the end of the road from the main bar area.
Whilst I wouldn't give it 4 star (TA very good), for the price it is better than average.
For 500bt a night I feel some people expect too much. The bedding was clean, mattress surprisingly wasn't rock hard, shower was reasonable & according to my mates, tv had some Western channels. There is also free wifi, which some expensive international hotels don't offer for free. Basic tea/coffee & toast & jam & banana's for breakfast. My room could have done with a lick of paint, but that was about the only negative.
There isn't alot of room to park if you're in a car. Laundry shop diagonally across the road.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the temple, or you may wake at about 5am.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Good area, basic rooms, they smell a bit. Nothing fancy, but cheap and cheerful. If you're looking for a basic place to stay that won't strain your wallet then this will do. It needs work, but you're not paying so much.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Location given you get what you pay for, not more, not less.
Room basic, bed bad matrace, bathroom to asian standards, hot water if not in peak hours.
Staff could be more friendly and give a smile, but they are not unfriendly.
Basic set breakfast, self servive, in new build room, clean.
Booked a private tour, was good car and good driver with good english. Recommended!

Room Tip: Higher floors are nicer!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple