“Gone downhill badly”

Cuisines: Italian, Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Sits in the main tourist stretch in Chiang Rai and therefore get's money too easily. Last year, I remember the food was wonderful and I remembered the place fondly. I ordered the same dishes this year and they were not nearly as good. I suspect a missing Italian and a Thai replacement. The place was full, despite the menu prices being very high for Thailand.
The staff had the potential that almost all Thais have, but there was a lack of management and they failed to deliver a nice experience.
Very disappointed and I will never return.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Another review comments on the aircon room being freezing. Well, tonight it was a like a sauna.
Of the two aircon units, only one was working and with the room packed, it was completely inadequate. It was a warm night and diners were either outside, or in the aircon room. The main inside room was empty it was so hot. I managed to get through a good glass of house white with the bread sticks and had a second glass with the excellent salmon alfredo pasta and complimentary breads and pesto dip, before I started to perspire in the aircon room. Other diners looked equally uncomfortable. But then when a German family started on a Von Trapp routine on the piano, that was the last straw. I fled to the bar and asked for the bill, but saw the barman making an Irish Coffee, so lingered and had one. It was very good. I am sure the food here is good and I found the service very good, but due to a faulty aircon and a tortured piano, it was not a good night. However, I will give it another go.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

I think this was one of the better pizzas that we have had so far in Thailand. It is a nice and clean place, and the pizza is cooked to order in their wood fire oven. The service, or lack of, was grumpy. When the waitress was done grunting at us and slapping her hand on the menu when we asked if they served wine. From then on she just glared angrily at us and eventually then ignored us. When the pizza came we had to get up and get our own condiments. I am not sure if we will go back, but if we do, we will order take out. It is a shame because, the pizza was good and would rate the restaurant higher if the service would had been acceptable.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

This is another little restaurant, located near the night market. It has a rather bizarre look, which is perhaps preferable to “fake exotic”. We were intrigued by the concept of a “Thai pizzeria with take-away” and since we were a bit fed up with Thai food, we decided to take a big leap of faith and go “western”.

We sat in the inside room, avoiding the air-conditioning room which was freezing cold. We ordered bruschette as a starter and they were good. I tried the pizza and it was surprisingly good. My husband had a meat dish, which was also satisfactory. Service was impeccable and price very reasonable.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

We were looking for something familiar this evening in February during our trip to Thailand so decided on Italian at Da Vinci’s. We started with the bread/bread sticks which were tasty that were served with a nice blend of olive oil with garlic and basil. I had the veggie lasagna and my partner had the oil and garlic pasta. The lasagna was different from any that I had had before (the mix of veggies and the sauce) but both dishes were well prepared and decent. Try the watermelon drink – an enjoyable cool taste treat.