All reviewschinese restaurantpeak restaurantthe riverisland cafeseparate bath and showerorganic gardentuk tukhuge poolnight marketbreakfast buffettravel agentbeautiful hotellovely groundsspent one nighttour grouplarge hotelnorthern thailand
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This was the first hotel in our Thailand family vacation and even though we've only stayed there for one night, we loved it!
The room was spacious and clean. It easily accommodated us three with the extra bed. Breakfast was good and rich in selection and I checked out the exercise room and swimming pool and liked it!

3  Thank Ilan A
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The hotel is a little past its sell by date. Rooms are not very grand, although we were offered an upgrade at an additional cost, which we declined. An obvious patch on the room carpet, with a different coloured carpet was perhaps unavoidable, but it made the room feel a little tacky. On the plus side, there was a flat screen TV along with a free (but poor) internet connection.
Breakfast wasn’t included in our price and the price for the breakfast extra was a bit silly. There’s a dearth of decent hotels in Chiang Rai, so any half decent place seems to manage to hold onto good prices.
The staff were excellent. The place is definitely OK, but not quite like as pictured. I think the rave revues here need tempered to avoid any disappointment.
One annoying thing was that they give two bottles of water free (standard in Thailand) and after that you have two bottles of “Dusit” drinking water in the minibar. That water is made by the same company who makes the free Singha water in your room, but costs you 50 baht a bottle.That works out about 800% markup (7 baht to buy) which I think is rather excessive in a room with a patch on the carpet.
Hotels in Thailand have historically been good value, but they are year by year losing that value. The price I paid for this room is about the same as I paid in the Holiday Inn, Bradford on my recent trip to the UK. The Holiday Inn room was nicer and it came with a free breakfast for two.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We sgayed in Dusit island in Chiang Rai during a tour in the north. After a long day of tarveling and absorbing sites, visions and experiences, it was so great to come to this wonderful hotel and enjoy the spatious and rooms. We enjoied it very much. location is a bit far from tje center, but we didn't find Chiang Rai very inviting... and the hotel was very inviting.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

In my opinion this is still the best hotel in chiangrai .Rooms are large and well furnished.
I have stayed here many times over the years and do not agree that it is outdated.
I was booked into another resort which scored higher on the reviews, but was totally disappointed.

Staff were great from the doorman to the managers. My incident on this trip was that I accidentally drop my room key into the lift shaft. Not only did the maintenance staff manage to retrieve it I was not change anything for it. This was beyond the normal call of service and duty.

I congratulate the staff and management on their performance and urge them to keep up the good work.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank shiok111
Reviewed 20 June 2013

What can I say. The smells - The stains - The feeling of yesteryear preserved for your appreciation today. Ahhh the memories.

Had I paid a rack rate on this room, I would have been peeved, but given the availability last minute at around 1500 BHT, I just accepted that this property was what it was. A one-time non-repeater for me.

The smells of carpet cleaning chemicals permeated many rooms and hallways. For me that meant headaches. Noisy old air-con and refrigerator drumming away with those mechanical tones all night. Wishing that you could open the window despite the mosquitoes for a hint of fresh air-- tossing and turning on the bent up bed springs and mattress warped from age. Go to the bathroom and feel your feet stick slightly to the aged out carpet. Sit on the toilet and you eyes wander to the stains and signs of aging across the ceilings and the corners. Signs of aging over so many years. This is not a maid issue, just the reality of aging.

This is an older property with upkeep issues 20+ years overdue for a major facelift. It has land. It has parking. It has very nice, very professional, and very helpful staff -- except that the rooms are just plain OLD OLD OLD and the Hallways chemical smells were very strong and came into the room which had its own types of smells. Judging from the carpark, it has seemingly low-occupancy to the point of feeling eerie.

Had it not been for the parking, land, lobby, and cordial staff; the room itself would yield a 1 star rating (or 0 star is that was an option). It increased this to 3 on account of the former.

This property is not consistent with the Dusit brand in terms of room quality. Given my feeling on the smells, I would not stay again if it were free of charge. That being said, I wish to extend my compliments to the front desk staff who were very polite on check-in. The manager, who tried to facilitate finding a room with lesser smells and was also quite cordial and the bellhop/parking staff. Although, one wonders if there were better cleaner rooms available that were not offered.

Sometimes unfortunately, it is not cost effective to refurbish these types of non-prime lower-occupancy or seasonal properties -- although I would encourage Dusit to consider refurbishing all the rooms on 1 floor and making that a separate offering.

My thanks to the manager and staff for trying to accommodate, but when next facing a booking in Chiang Rai, I would be inclined to stay elsewhere on account of the rooms themselves.

After disappointments lately with so many Dusit properties, I will likely avoid the brand altogether in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple