“Great old style family run restaurant in Chiang Rai”
Review of Barrab

Barrab
Ranked #2 of 298 Restaurants in Chiang Rai
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: Our food is combination between Northern cuisine and Thai food. We have some selections for gluten free, vegetarian and vegan available.
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Whenever I go to the Barrab, I feel like I am visiting relatives who don't mind if I rummage around in the kitchen for a while before making up my mind what to eat. I am not sure if everyone working there is related but it sure feels like it. Different family members are in charge of different areas, like the noodle soup counter, the coffee and fruit drinks counter, and the north and north-eastern Thai specialties counter.

There are always some new foods being brought from the kitchen to the fron to of the restaurant counters, or even being brought in from another location. I first pick a place to sit, order a drink and then wander around picking up pot lids and checking out the newest thing to come from the kitchen. Depending on who is on duty I might even be given some free samples to try and an extra plate of something new if I take a certain dish. Sometimes I will eat Kao Soi the famous curry noodle dish from Northern Thailand and at other time I might have some BBQ Chicken and Somtam with Sticky Rice from North East Thailand.

Whatever I choose to eat a Barrab I always feel satisfied when leaving and look forward to my next visit.

3  Thank georgemann

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We came here for dinner. The servings were probably smaller than other restaurants in Chiang Rai but very good. I ordered penang curry (not much sauce but still nice), my husband ordered Pad thai. They were both good. We then ordered mango & sticky rice for dessert. It was HUGE and it was delicious!

And it was very reasonable (2 main, 1 dessert & a bottle of water for 170 baht). I would definitely come back here again... maybe for lunch & dessert!

2  Thank pekopoko
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My husband and I spent 2 days in Chaing Rai and came back to this place twice... (we would have gone there for take out lunch on our last day but they werent open that early).. We tried a bunch of dishes, that I cant think of now but they were all delish. Looking back on our Thailand travels, it was the best pad thai we had on our trip and our top 3 restaurant in all of thailand. So good. MUST CHECK THIS PLACE OUT

2  Thank kris10greig
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Nice place with great and cheap food. Plates are not big, but so are the prices.
Eat sticky rice and mango voor dessert, delicious!
Visit the clocktower at 7, 8 or 9 o'clock after dinner and enjoy the show.

2  Thank rubiezone
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Don't believe the few negative reviews here. This is great Thai food! Lovingly prepared. Family run. Good location in the town center near the clock tower. Very very ridiculously inexpensive.
Ate there three times in two days. Best food in town. I've been in Thailand a month. Can't beat this place for authentic Northern Thai food at this price…50 bht…Come on. Go there!
They speak a little English and locals and tourists are mixed….a good place!