“OK for a night”

Ranked #42 of 109 Hotels in Chiang Rai
New York City, New York
“OK for a night”
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I found the room to be decently clean, bathroom was not super clean but was barely acceptable. I turned the air conditioner on and it was super noisy. Luckily the overhead fan works well and it is plenty cold at night. My biggest issue is a lack of sound insulation, as I could hear the street noise, breakfast noise, and even worse my neighbor using the toilet...

I will look elsewhere next time as there are plenty of choices in this town.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I stayed there for 1 night. It looks good on first glance, cool garden, you have breakfast in the morning, walking distance to the night market and the old bus station. The main problem was that the bathroom was dirty and my friend got bitten by something during the night. On the other hand the staff is great, but there are way better places in Ching Rai to stay in.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cvetiv
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Stayed overnight at the Golden Triangle Inn on my way to Chiang Khong and Huay Xai and was very pleased with the pleasant service, wifi and location. A short walk from the fruit market and the night market it is also within minutes of the bus station, a variety of restaurants and night clubs. The room was clean and the AC and fans worked. The bathroom was small but also clean. Nice tropical gardens and good value for money.

Room Tip: To get to the bus station cross the main road and walk through the drive of the large store and out...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 7 November 2012 via mobile

After having read positive reviews on trip advisor and Frommers, booked into this quaint hotel. Room is nice size, however the room had an overwhelming smell of mildew and stale cigarette smoke. also, the bathroom was filthy - mold in the grouting of the shower and in all corners of the room. was also surprised when I brushed my teeth that the sink does not drain directly into the sewer system, rather it drains onto the floor and eventually flows into the floor drain. We onlyv took the room for one night. Went for a walk around Chiang Rai of a couple of hours. when we returned to the room, my wife laid down to have a nap and discovered a gecko under her pillow. we decided to leave and look for other accommodations. Bottom line, I would never stay here again.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Chiang Rai hotels

Clovis, California
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Our medical mission team uses this hotel every even year as our "home base". The rooms are clean and "made up" when we return from our workday in the outlying areas. Restaurants are near-by along with excellent food from the street vendors. An added benefit is the night bazaar during the week along with the special walking bazaar on Saturday nights just one street behind the hotel.

Room Tip: Any room upstairs allows you to get a cool breeze in the mornings
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ninjalab
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I pickd this hotel randomly out of the lonely planet guide after flying into Chiang Rai with the intent of seeing the town for one day before heading to Chiang Mai. A taxi deposited me onto the grounds of the Golden Triangle Inn. I hadn't read too much about it so didn't know really what to expect, other than it was a mid-priced type accommodation. I found a very Thai style property that was really a collection of buildings in a garden type setting. It was reasonably picturesque and I found the proprietor to be very welcoming and helpful. The cost including breakfast was fairly inexpensive and I prefer would normally prefer somewthing a little more comfortable but I thought it would be adequate for a night.

The rooms were ok, clean enough to sleep in although quite spartan, a good place to stay for those who like the idea of living like a local, or who are on a budget. There is free Wi-Fi, although I had trouble using this from inside my room, the hotel is actually quite dark at night with the inevitable mosquitoes you find in such gardens, not a great place if you tend to stay up late at night.

The hotel is a short walk to the centre of town which is the most attractive feature. The proprietor suggested numerous activities I could do in Chiang Rai, which is helpful if your intention is to spend a while here. Other travellers told me the Hill tribe tours in Chiang Rai are more authentic and less commercial than those offered in Chiang Mai though I cannot speak from experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Ville D'Avray, France
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We didn't sleep at the hotel, but we booked a tour from Chiang Rai to Luang Prabang in Laos by slow boat with their travel agency. The trip in itself was ok, but we were very upset when we crossed the border and where asked to give 1300 bath for the visa (40 USD), instead of the usual 31USD. The lady told us that it was for an express visa (and that if we didn't pay we would miss the boat). It was absolutly false : when we arrived at the lao immigration, nothing has been done and we made the queue like everybody and we got the visa in 15 minutes, so we paid the 9USD extra for nothing (and the lady was obviously gone when we discovered that). We were not alone : there were 10 people like us. So be careful if you travel with them and refuse to pay the extra fee for epress visa!
PS : to make it worse they didn't accept USD but only bath, so we had to withdraw bath in Chiang Kong (and when we arrived at the immigration they take USD)...

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple