“Excellence management in practice”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Baan Jaru

Baan Jaru
Krnov, Czech Republic
“Excellence management in practice”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

After late arrival to Chiang Rai from Bangkok we took the taxi - the charming lively evening city convinced us to stay two nights instead planned one. Providence to have one extra day in Baan Jaru was most likely the best decision we made during our 3-weeks stay in SE Asia. Admirable couple of handsome Toddy and beautiful Ploy definitely hit the nail on the head, as regards running the family B+B: from tasty breakfast, served by Toddy's parents in the pleasant environment, through the most practical tips how to enjoy the city, to the long evening chat with Ploy and Toddy (always the infinite reservoir of funny stories), I won't be far from the statement, it was altogether the top accomodation experience ever. It would be banal to use any word about the Baan Jaru after our experience - clean room, fast wi-fi, comfortable beds, quite location close to night market. All these phrases you can find in many reviews. In context of Baan Jaru, they nevertheless gain the new dimension. One note that ilustrates its hospitality - after chatting to the late night (it was close to midnight) we mentioned we have to leave early in the morning to catch first bus to Chiang Khong. When leaving after 5 a.m., we found two servings of breakfast, hang over the door handle of our door... Our next vacation will be definitely in north of Thailand, at home of Baan Jaru :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed for 2 nights in this lovely guesthouse at the end of July. I really cannot recommend it highly enough. It is a family run B&B/Guesthouse and they are all fantastic. This place is one of the top 5 I've been to in the world and I've travelled to 30+ countries so that's saying something!
The room was fabulous - spotlessly clean, very modern and attractive - looks just like the pictures. The bed and pillows were comfortable, the shower great, the a/c worked great, and the tv had a ton of channels, including multiple English news channel and an English movie channel. The wifi was incredibly fast. So great actually that I was able to have a 32 minute call on skype uninterrupted and was able to stream movies via Amazon Prime with no breaks in service.
The included breakfast was good - made to order eggs, toast, fruit, juice, coffee and tea. I think there was also a local option. The location is perfect too - quick couple of blocks walk from the clock tower down a side road, very close to restaurants, 7/11, pharmacy, shopping. It's very quiet at night too.
The service was simply outstanding. From the time I arrived they were extremely helpful in assisting me with my plans, even letting me borrow a bicycle. Toddy (I hope I got your name right!) is the son and is the primary contact with guests. He is so friendly and helpful and truly treats everyone like family. So much so that when I got sick on my second day, so sick I couldn't leave the room, he was genuinely worried about me and checked on me a couple of times. He even asked another guest who happened to be a doctor to come talk to me to recommend some medicine... then Toddy went to the pharmacy for me to get it and also brought me back boiled rice to eat. How incredible is that?!! I was truly treated like family with genuine care. As a solo traveler with no one with me to take care of me it was exactly what I needed and I was so touched by it. I even had the pleasure of meeting his girlfriend who was visiting from Bangkok and is also great! On my last morning she helped me plan out a day in Bangkok where I was headed - she even printed and highlighted a map of the skytrain for me when I asked about how to get from place to place.
I will never forget this amazing guesthouse and family. I highly highly recommend this place to everyone and wouldn't stay anywhere else if I come back to Chiang Rai!!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Luv2Travel484
Reviewed 9 August 2014

the rooms are quite large and extremely clean and modern. The owners were really friendly and accomodating, even buying us breakfast when we had to leave in the early hours. The breakfast provided at the hotel is really fresh with a lot of choice, there is a nice patio area which can also be used for a quiet sit down during the evening. The staff were always at hand whenever required and were happy to reccomend restaurants and local atractions, they even helped us to print our our boarding passes, we felt as though nothing was to much trouble and felt really welcome.

Room Tip: first floor rooms have more privacy
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank wolfd1
Reviewed 3 August 2014

New hotel in the centre of Chiang Rai. Really nice atmosphere and friendly owners. They help you with everything. The rooms are clean and complete with airco, wifi, fridge, tv and a nice shower. In the morning they serve you a good breakfast. And everywhere in the hotel is fresh water.
I can really recomend this place...you will love it!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Philippine V
Paris, France
Reviewed 14 July 2014

A lovely guesthouse with rooms at hotel level. The owner, a young lad who studied in London and his parents run this place. The Son will give you all kinds of info and ensure you really feel at home. Daddy will take care of the breakfast and Mom gives you her most beautiful smile.
For this money the room is absolutely perfect: Good bathroom with nice design touches, good bed, Flat screen TV on the wall, Air-conditioning, Hot water... Balcony! Daylight from front and back. Good attention to detail.
A lovely breakfast with eggs cooked any style by Mom, served by son while daddy prepares your toast.
And lots of attention from the owners, if you wish!
TOP SCORE very WELL DESERVED!

Room Tip: All rooms are good!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank John D
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Only about 7 months old, Baan Jaru is very modern and clean. Close to night markets, food markets, bars and coffee shops and bus terminal. It is located on a side street so is quiet. Free bikes to use.
Family run, son, Toddy, is very passionate about his work. He even helps with the cleaning and gardening and is always on hand to recommend places to see and eat. Speaks excellent English and has lots of funny stories to tell.
Highly recommended.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank DLeong133
Marquette, Michigan
Reviewed 27 June 2014

A really comfortable room in a great location. Guesthouse owner, Toddy, was really helpful with advice about sights to see and restaurants. Breakfast was great. WiFi is fast and reliable. We would definitely stay again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple