“Lovely hotel in beautiful garden setting”

Laluna Hotel and Resort
Ranked #8 of 108 Hotels in Chiang Rai
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We stayed in a Superior Bungalow - Garden - King room. It was in a beautful garden setting. A very quiet place to stay. The rooms were a very good size and the shower in the bathroom was huge. Very comfortable bed. It is a little way out of town so either get a tuk tuk or it would be about a 25 min walk. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included. Good selection and in a nice setting as well. Pleasant stay. The pool area was lovely but we did not use it as it was a little too cool for us to swim. Would recommend this as a good place to spend in Chian Rai.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed 3 nights @ Laluna Hotel and had mixed feelings about many different aspects of this Hotel. From the begining. Drove in through the very impressive enterance to the reception area. This looks very promissing. Reception staff were very polite and proffessional. Had booked a poolside room and a fair walk through the hotel gardens to gain access to the room. The gardens and lay-out of the Hotel are very well appointed, I'm thinking this is a 4 Star aspect. Shown into my room which was very spacious, very well appointed, tidy and spotlessly clean with 1 of the biggest beds I have seen. Wall mounted flat screen TV and a bigger than normal fridge. Table and chairs near the window that look out to the pool which is very adequate in size - in fact big. Arrived about lunchtime and headed straight to the Hotel Restuarant. Meal was priced as you would expect from a Resort Hotel. Chicken Snitzle and French Fries in the 350 baht range. It was huge and I could only eat half. It was of a high standard. Again 4 Star quality. All downhill from here other than the bed on the first night. It was comfortable. However, I require good aircon and its location within the room wasn't quite right. I ended up the first night, swinging the pillow around and sleeping at the foot of the bed just to feel cool & comfortable. The aircon was very noisy and you could hear the thermostat kicking in and out all night. Woke up in the morning and I always have to have a coffee fix starter. Water into the jug provided by the Hotel, but hello........ no coffee ot even tea bags. Nothing. Just a jug and 2 cups provided. Whats the point.???? Bring your own !!!!!! No i didn't. So I will shower and go to the free buffet breakfast provided within the price and try and get my overdose of coffee there. The Shower - Had to wait about 10 minutes before any hot water arrived. I was finished by that time. Quickly to the breakfast area and poured 2 cups of coffee before I eat. Bummer !!!!!!! The coffee was the worst coffee I have ever - in my life - tried to drink. I couldn't. Had to get a cup of tea, at least the Liptons was palatable. Oh please Laluna, you have to do something about that coffee. Nothing in the room and you cannot drink what's at the Buffet Breakfast. 0/10 for the lack of a good brew first thing in the morning. Now the breakfast. Just the typical bay maree style of half raw fried eggs or rubber like scrambled eggs. Huge selection of all other products that cater for a variety of nationalities. No better but not worse than many other hotels I have stayed at. 1 evening I sat at the Cocktail lounge and enjoyed the hospitality of the staff there and had quite a few laughs whilst enjoying the Happy Hour ( 3 hours ) of buy 1 get 1 free. Would I stay there again.?? It is worthy to consider another stay, but you learn from the experience that you have to be better prepared with your own supply of coffee. Value for money ? acceptable because of the special price on offer when I booked. Would have rated this hotel 100% except for the fact of the lack of coffee supplied in the room or at the buffet breakfast. Come on Laluna, it doesn't cost much to lift your game in this area. Hotel rating for me = 75%. If this has helped you decide on Laluna Hotel, please give me a tick of approval.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are a little further away from the reception but convenient after a swim.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank LeRoytheBoy
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We stayed here for two nights in December. Rooms are nice, clean and spacious. The service was friendly and the pool looked great though we didn't have time to try it out. Breakfast was so so...

Room Tip: Try to get rooms closer to the reception.....
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank daveur
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We really liked our 4 night stay at Laluna! The buildings were attractive, very clean and well-maintained. The tropical garden setting was simply beautiful. We have a lovely, spacious room and bathroom. The breakfasts were great and the laundry service excellent. The restaurant food was more expensive than street food but that was to be expected however overall we consider this hotel to be great value for money. The hotel was a short distance from the main town centre but we enjoyed the local way of travel in tuk-tuks and songthaews. Unfortuantely we didn't have time to use the swimming pool but it did look very inviting.The staff at the reception desk and in the restaurant were attentive and friendly and looked after us so very well. We highly recommend this hotel and would like to stay there again.

Room Tip: We were in a standard room with a garden view and it was lovely
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. It was very nice and had a lovely pool area and good facilities.
Our room was quite roomy and the bathroom was the biggest bathroom I have ever used in a hotel.
I think this hotel is quite new so is in very good condition and not dated at all.

They have a pretty good selection of foods available for breakfast and we had dinner in the hotel twice. The food was very nice and the service very good.

I would be happy to stay there again. The only slight negative was it was a short distance from the central city but you could get a taxi truck for just a few baht so wasn't a big problem.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2012

There was a friendly welcome at the hotel. The garden and pool area is very nice. However, the bungalow needs a renovation and was not very clean. There is as well no safety box. It would be nice to have a possibility to sit outside in front of the bungalow but there are no chairs and no table. The pool towels are old and should be replaced.

The breakfast was excellent.

It takes about 15 minutes walk to the night market.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lexli
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Arrived late evening and all reception staff were sitting looking at their phones and not that interested in checking guests in. Found our way to our room and the staff member showed us how to turn on the air con, operate TV etc. Our room was right opposite the pool with the spa right outside our door.

Room was extremely comfortable, great water pressure with adequate hot water. As our room was located at the back of the hotel it was extremely quiet with not that many guests in house. Ground staff and housekeeping were very charming and whilst limited English they certainly made an effort to smile and converse.

We stayed 3 nights and each morning in the breakfast room we passed 3 staff members all playing on their phones with no acknowledgment to any of the guests that were coming in. I still have my vouchers they were suppose to collect.

Laluna is a nice 10 min walk into the main part of Chang Rai and if you are coming back late at night you can catch a tuk tuk for a few baht.

Overall the hotel is very comfortable and the rooms rather nice. Pool is situated at the back of the hotel with individual bungalows set in a lush garden with the most spectacular range of bromiliads. The pool is large with adequate seating around the perimeter.

My tip - management should confiscate the mobile phones from their staff whilst on duty. The endless texting and playing games is overshadowing the service levels they are providing.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the pool cost a little extra but not absolutely necessary as hotel is fairly small...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family