“Not a 6-star hotel”

V Villas Hua Hin, MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #28 of 136 Hotels in Hua Hin
“Not a 6-star hotel”
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Been there in December 2010. After reading so many reviews about the construction, I made a special request to stay in the quiet site. Once I called to reconfirm this, the reception answered with ignorance voice (after calling there a few times, I realised that ignorance or flat voice is the unique reception style here)
Though how ignorance they were, the staffs there managed to book the room on the quiet side for us. The 2-bedroom villa was luxurious, the master bedroom and the pool was spacious. The living room was big. However, the second bedroom was very small and a bit under-maintenance (with ants) , no television, had to walk to living room to do so.

The staffs at the restaurant were very nice, also the food. The butler was fine but still far from 6-star service.

I will recommend my friends to go there if they got it at really bargain price, the villa itself is luxurious (except the second bedroom). And as they claimed themselves a 6-star, I'd rated it lower than that

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
11 Thank Pan1978
QSM_VIEBKK, Manager at V Villas Hua Hin, MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the V Villas Hua Hin. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At V Villas Hua Hin, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Stayed there for 2 nights over the weekend.

The villa itself is excellent but beyond my expectation - very new, with nice modern tropical design. A lot of effort has been made to ensure this is a top-notch resort.

Service is enthuastic but far short of the excellent level that you would expect in a Banyan Tree, Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton type resort. Probably need an experienced manager to guide the staff.

The biggest problem here is the construction - it is 24 hours non-stop on the left hand side, with some minor constructions on the right.
The hotel was gracious to put me on right side as requested, even though it was a 2-bedroom villa. Much more privacy and much less noise.
I imagine it could be a very different experience on the other side.

Although the construction is something the management could not avoid - I felt they really shot themselves in the foot by scheduling non-essential maintenance work around the pool over the weekend in the daytime when they place is packed.

Imagine a bunch of noisy, shabbly dressed workers squatting around the pool packed with guests with large areas condoned off. Not the scene you expect at a five-star resort on a weekend.
Strangely, there was no maintenance work on Monday, when the resort was much less crowded.

We also had gardeners intruding into our supposedly private villa early in the morning. At least they could have warned the guests or tried to schedule the garderning when the villas are not occupied.

In all - great hardware, but so-so service.
Definitely needs an experienced manager who has run a high-end luxury resort.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EllieCh
QSM_VIEBKK, Manager at V Villas Hua Hin, MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 19 August 2010
Dear EllieCh,

Greetings from V Villas Hua Hin!

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the V Villas Hua Hin managed by Accor. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 23 February 2010

This was our second visit (previous visit was Jan 09) and we expected improvements since they were brand new last year. However, their standards took a very steep downhill slope. It is unfortunate because they invested a lot of money to create very nice, luxurious pool villas that it is such a shame that it is not matched with 5-star service. The service is 2 stars at best while they claim themselves to be a luxury boutique hotel and charge luxury prices.

Let's start with the reservation process. When we booked the villa a month and a half in advance, we specifically requested a Villa on the right side of the hotel due to the construction on the left side. If you stay at the villa on the left side (odd-numbered villas), you will be right next to the construction area with cranes hanging DIRECTLY on top of you... imagine having metal bars being crane lifted and dangling above your face while lounging on your pool deck. First of all, they should close off this entire side of the hotel for safety reasons. In fact, when I made the request, they informed me that they are not allocating rooms on the construction side because it gets very noisy and dusty. I then e-mailed 3 separate times prior to my arrival date to reiterate the importance of my request. Then one day prior to my arrival, I received a call from their reservations informing me that I have been allocated a villa on the left side next to the construction! I reminded them of my specific request and asked why this was ignored. Their explanation was that there are long-stay guests occupying all the right side villas. My next question was why then was this not communicated to me when I made the request so I could have amended my plans. Normally, when I stay at a 5-star hotel, I request specific room numbers, and I get it with no problem if I make the request well in advance. Here, I requested any room on a specific side of the hotel and they couldn't handle that.

My entire morning was spent calling back and forth to get an answer whether they could do anything about it or give me a refund (as it was pre-paid). No one could give me an answer other than "would you like to come another time, we don't want our guest to have a bad experience" to which I kept saying NO, since I already have plans to be in Hua Hin with all my friends 'TOMORROW'. Furthermore, if they are so concerned about their guests having a bad experience, why not simply bite the bullet and close off the construction side rather than try to accommodate only those who complain????? By late afternoon, still no one could give me an answer whether they will refund my money because this is the fault of the hotel and my stay was contingent on the fact that I do not get the construction side. I was losing patience as I would have to rebook another hotel which would not necessarily be an easy task given it was late afternoon and I am to arrive the following morning! Finally, the reservation manager called me back at 3:30 PM to say that they 'found' a room on the right side. They explained that they had to upgrade us to a 3-bedroom (we booked a 2-bedroom villa). At this stage, this didn't even delight me the slightest bit - it just became an acceptable solution after killing all my enthusiasm and excitement I had for my stay.

Arrival was nothing noteworthy for a hotel which rates itself in this category. We were brought to our villa and introduced to the villa butler - an 'exclusive' 24 hour service, so they say. Again, nothing noteworthy, not very welcoming, lacking a smile and experience. There were no nice touches of having a butler. We were given a mobile phone with a direct line to the butler - just dial 3. A nice novelty but I called 5 times at 6:30 AM and nobody picked up! No one bothered to call back either. A was having my morning swim and found a large cockroach in the pool, which sank to the bottom and I urgently needed the butler or anyone to come in and scoop it out, but no one decided to answer my calls. Fortunately, housekeeping came at 7:00 AM to deliver the newspaper and so I seized the rare opportunity to have that incident attended to.

This hotel has a long way to go before it becomes world class standard, or even 5-star by local standards. It is a pity that this hotel as all the things that are difficult to acquire - the best location, best beach in all of Hua Hin, fantastic villas with super expensive sound system (all Bose surrond), unique architecture, beautiful pool, but overlook all the little things that matter. I will not be back at this hotel for sure.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank PourPaul
QSM_VIEBKK, Quality Manager at V Villas Hua Hin, MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 1 April 2010
Dear our valued guest,

Greetings from V Villas Hua Hin!

First of all, we would like to thank you for giving us chances to accommodate such a valued guest like you during your recent visit to Hua Hin. However, we are in a great disappointment for recognizing the displeasure with our service quality through the review. We would like to assure you that every comment from our guests is highly appreciated since it is very essential for our strong intention to continuingly improve the standards and quality of services of the villas.

On behalf of V Villas Hua Hin’s management team, we deeply concern about the circumstances and sincerely apologize for all inconveniences you have experienced. All issues have been reported to all related departments and have been thoroughly discussed to ensure that the service quality is well monitored and improved. We will make sure that these kinds of situation will not occur to our guest again.

We also hope you would understand that the dissatisfaction you have recently experienced is not our usual luxurious quality of service and we will be more than delighted and honored on welcoming you back to V Villas Hua Hin in the nearest future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 4 May 2009

My family was at V Villa for a weekend. We love the villa very much as it is different and have it unique style. Each villa has 2 bedrooms with a living room and private pool.
There was absolutely no complain on the comfortability these villas can offered. The view is lovely especially from the infinity pool in front of the beach.

What surprise me is the service, V villas was opened for almost a year but the staff are very in-experience. The hotel is a luxuery standard but the service is far from that. Villa Butler is there but I am not sue whether they give any benefit to guests. They are not so welcoming and are not very helpful. Another weak point of this is the construction next door. The noise is very loud and it works even on Sunday!! This will go on until end of 2010.

As we thought this is a luxury hotel therefore we expected a lot more in service which we don't get here. We love the hotel and may want to come back but might consider again if the service is still a 3 star hotels when we are paying for a luxury price.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family