“Does the job”

Wannara Hotel Hua Hin
Ranked #91 of 144 Hotels in Hua Hin
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed here while on a golfing trip to Hua Hin. Check in was efficient given there was 9 of us. Rooms are a good size and clean. Location is excellent as it is not far from the centre of town yet does not seem to get any of the town noise.

Pool looked very basic. Breakfast was ok but nothing too special. Why do these places insist on juice made from powder?

Probably go again as part of a golfing trip but would look for somewhere a bit better if I envisaged spending any more time in the hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 January 2014

There was no noise from the street, either side of the hotel which has two entrances. What drove me crazy was the noise from nearby rooms (rooms with s). The paper thin walls leave nothing out and you feel like sharing one room with another ten people. Breakfast is varied but, like many other hotels with rates below USD 80-100, the coffee is like the worst airline coffee. Considering the hotel clearly caters to many Europeans, an investment in proper coffee and coffee machines, would be relevant.

Location is great, within walking distance to nearby restaurants, bars, massage and shopping. There is great space for parking both in front and behind.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Tom S
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Super location surrounded by top rates restaurants, close to the beach and city center. Staff awareness for cleaning ness in the breakfast area and adding some healthier addition (bread selection, salad dressings, preparation of eggs etc.) to the breakfast would be of great value

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Uzwil_1962
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Hotel is located very close to the center of Hua Hin (a bit of a party town), and also about two minute walk from the beach. Beach can be crowded at entrance point, but is a long beach so you can find somewhere comfortable. The area around the hotel is very touristy....VERY. Don't expect much authentic Thai experience. We had a double room on the third floor overlooking the pool, the pool remains open until 8pm. Room was lovely, with walk-in shower (hot), television with an English speaking news channel, very clean and a gorgeous little balcony with a table and chairs. Also had a well-stocked mini-fridge.

Staff had no info re our booking as we only booked it that morning, however they were very quick in getting us sorted. We paid 2,300 BHT for one night. The following morning there was a western breakfast which was nice for us for a change. The staff were helpful for the most part, but I found them rude on one or two encounters. Like i tried to drop a towel back to reception, four girls behind reception looked at me in disgust and one said "that's four housekeeping".
A) How would i know that? B) You say it like i should know where to find housekeeping?

Overall though i would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The hotel is right opposite Sofitel near the beach, very convenient to get food and massage. What annoyed me was there is no rack to put the soap (it broke, could see there used to be one) when we showered and we had to bend down put the shampoo and shower gel on the floor. There was no soap dish as well at the basin. Hot shower was good though as the water is hot enough. Breakfast is not that good except they have a lot of bacon. The condition of the hotel is kinda run down, unlike the photos we saw.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JulsLee
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the wannara for our second honeymoon, we chose it because of it's centre location which was good for that, as for the hotel I can only say that when we first arrived we were taken to our room only to find 2 single beds. I went to reception to ask about a change of room with a double bed only to be told "they don't have any rooms with double beds"!! Which I find ridicules for a hotel and what made it worse is that on there hotel TV in reception, they are showing a room with a, you guessed it, a double bed!! The room we had to put up with was ok, there were handles missing off 2 of the cupboards, the curtains looked like they had been hanging there since the hotel opened, however long ago that was, because they were filthy. The only plus was at leased we did have clean bedding and towels. The internet was also hit & miss, one minute it was there the next it wasn't, poor connection.
Apart from one or two staff we found most of them were not very pleasant. The hotel it's self is in need of an up date, the pool, which we only went in once, is in need of a full restoration, it is old looking and lots of tiles are missing. the food was ok but then we only had breakfast there. While we were at the wannara we found the hotel owner just happened to be staying there as well, she was sat having breakfast every morning at the same time, the staff looked frightened to death of her, all I can say is, going off the way she was with the people who were staying in the hotel she did not seem at all interested in them, she made no attempt to say good morning, smile or anything, not very good example from an owner.
Would we stay there again, only if we could not get to stay in a better hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leigh w
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have just returned from a 20 night stay at the Wannara. Before I went I was having second thoughts about going there after re-reading some of the negative reviews. I am glad I took no notice the staff are really friendly I can only assume the people who say they are rude are that way themselves as we witnessed one man being extremely agressive towards the breakfast staff. A smile, please and thank you goes a very long way in Thialand and everwhere else come to that. We arrived around 9.30 in the morning and I asked if there was any chance of checking in before 2pm the receptionist said no so we went for a walk for about an hour and then went back and was given our room straight away. I agree that the place could do with a makeover but how long do you want to stay in the room, it was clean and fairly well appointed. The safety deposit boxes are behind reception not in the room as one reviewer stated which is a bit of a nuisance. My Husband had to go into hospital for a couple of days the hotel calling the ambulance for me, we had only been there about 3 hours when 2 hotel staff came with a basket of fruit and on returning to the hotel I found a get well note. The free wifi is a bit hit and miss but there are several zones within the hotel. I had the same problem last year in another hotel a few yards away so I think its more do do with the area. The breakfast was fine with quite a good variety of things to eat, there was also an egg station for omelettes etc. I would not hesitate going back there again.

Room Tip: We had room 501 which was at the end with just one floor above overlooking the pool