“nice hotel but noisy with trains at night”

Narawan Hotel Hua Hin
Ranked #82 of 144 Hotels in Hua Hin
Reviewed 31 August 2012

rooms were a good size with ensuite shower room. aircon took a while to cool the room down and was difficult to get working. free internet at the hotel was great and the staff were helpful when asking about transport and things to see nearby. some of the desk staff had very limited english but there was normally someone there who could help.

breakfast was excellent. a mix of english breakfast and thai breakfast choices along with cereal, fruit, salad, juice, tea and coffee. the pool was fairly small but we were the only ones in it so it was great. only a 20 minute walk from the train station.

the hotel is situated about 50 metres from the train track next to a level crossing so it was very noisy at night. avoid if you are a light sleeper

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Jen_Keenan

Reviewed 5 August 2012

I stayed at the Narawan Hotel with my girlfriend for three nights during my trip to Hua Hin in August 2012. For your reference, I stayed in room 203, and I paid an average of about $30 a night. Now on to the review.

The first thing I noticed upon arriving at the hotel was how clean and modern it looked. The hotel had a very nice pool, there was a party room to have get togethers and sing karaoke, there was a computer with free internet access near the check-in counter, and there was an elevator going to each floor of the hotel. My room was very clean and comfortable. The room had a big bed, a small (maybe 20"?) TV, a big wardrobe to hang clothes, a small refrigerator to keep drinks cold, and a balcony (although not much of a view). There were about 40 channels to choose from on the cable TV, and about half of those were in English.

I never had any problems with any of the staff at the hotel, and they always helped me when I asked for help. I never noticed any of the staff hanging out around the pool as a previous reviewer mentioned. And although the staff's English wasn't excellent, it was good enough to get what I needed.

The location of the hotel is on soi 94 of Petchkasem Road. Petchkasem is the main, long road that goes through most of Hua Hin. The "main" part of the city and beach in Hua Hin is near the Hilton Hotel, which is near soi 61 of Petchkasem Road. If you take a tuk-tuk from Narawan Hotel to the Hilton Hotel, it will take about five to ten minutes depending on the traffic, or about thirty minutes by foot. However, you also have the option of walking to the part of the beach that's much closer to Narawan Hotel and much more secluded, which will only takes about ten minutes. The Market Village is also only about a ten minute walk from the hotel. It's the biggest shopping mall in Hua Hin, and it also has a food court and a Tesco Lotus supermarket. And last but not least, there's a handful of small bars on soi 94 that are only a couple minutes walk from the hotel.

Remember, Hua Hin is a small city, so no matter which hotel you're staying at, you will always be only a short ride from the main attractions of the city. You can also rent a motorcycle for only 200 baht a day at a small place right down the soi from Narawan Hotel. Tuk-tuks cost 100 baht and up for a ride to anywhere in the city, so it's very much worth renting a motorcycle if you're in Hua Hin alone or with only one other person.

I do have a few small complaints about the hotel. My first complaint is that it gets loaded with big groups on the weekend, and that kills off a lot of the quietness. I can't really blame the hotel for that though. My second complaint is the noise. Yes, the hotel is right next to some train tracks, but I didn't find them very disruptive. All the trains that pass by are very small and gone before you know it. The source of most of the noise in my room was from the people singing karaoke in the party room next to the pool. Room 203 is apparently right on top of the party room, so the loud singing is quite disruptive. My final complaint is the doors to the rooms. They're extremely hard to open for some reason, and if you don't shut them entirely a little alarm will start to buzz. I can't count how many times I heard other people's door alarms buzzing while I was staying at the hotel. A small complaint, but worth mentioning.

All in all, I was very satisfied with my stay at the Narawan Hotel, and I would certainly go back there in the future. Don't be put off by other people's comments about bad location or rude staff. Sure, the hotel isn't right in the center of the city, but it is only a few kilometers from the center of the city, and it's within walking distance to the beach, the Market Village, a night market, and the girly bars of Petchkasem soi 80. And like I said before, I only had positive experiences with the staff. I should also note that the entire hotel has free wi-fi, but I never tried it out. The internet on the computer in the lobby seemed good enough. Overall, Narawan is a great hotel that I'd recommend to others for any kind of group or occasion.

Room Tip: To minimize outside noise, ask for any room on the third floor or above (to avoid noise from the par...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank jds1986
Reviewed 24 April 2012 via mobile

Narawan hotel does not make you feel like you are on holiday.the hotel pool bar is more like a staff hang out which creates an uncomfortable atmosphere not a nice place to relax when staff are smoking and playing games. One of the male staff members lay down and fell asleep in front of the drink fridge in the end I went over the road and purchased my drinks there. Breakfast disgusting everything is cold and not fresh. I think the hotel manager needs to remember we are paying money to stay here it's not much to ask for smiling staff and they could spend there lazy afternoons out of sight instead of looking at female sunbathers!

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank Superstuff
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Narawan is located south from Hua Hin's city centre, next to a railway crossing, making the hotel bit off the main tourist sites. However, the beach is very close, so the location is excellent for the ones wanting the beach experience without having to be in the centre with more hawkers. The rooms are relaticely spacious even though the balconies are a bit small, but beware that the railway crossing means noise even in the night that might disturb light sleepers. The staff didn't speak much English but helped the best they could, and were cheerful enough.

Our room was clean and cleaned every day, but in general the hotel could have performed a bit better. The breakfast buffet was quite unappetizing with things left to sit for hours on low heat or room temperature. The pool was nice but the poolside area uninviting: the loungers were a bit shabby, and there was nobody taking care of the bar so you couldn't really order any drinks or snacks if you wanted to spend some time in the sun there.

Hhad I been to Hua Hin for the first time I might have been disappointed for the location that seemed far from the buzz, but having already experienced the city and just looking for some easy time on the beach, I was satisfied with my stay for the price we paid.

Room Tip: Ask for a room further away from the railway if you are a light sleeper. The railway crossing is una...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KayHelsinki
Reviewed 30 March 2012

clean big room with balcony and veiws only down for this place breakfast basic and little way out of town staff happy to call taxi for you cost of taxi 100 baht at time of writing to night market/city centre walking distance to beach, pool clean would stay here again

Room Tip: ask for room on top floor better veiws
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank merri1993
Reviewed 28 March 2012

The suite we had was very nice but not very clean. We stayed 3 nights and the floor had been only swept. The private sundeck was filthy. The breakfast buffet was terrible in many ways - lack of food, cleanliness (cobwebs right over the food - tablecloth extremely dirty) and poor service. The hotel is right next to an unsecured train crossing and the trains blow their whistle extremely long and loud, even during the night. Forget a peaceful sleep! Although I had informed the hotel supervisor of my intentions (evaluation), he completely ignored my complaints. As a professional hotel evaluator, I would definitly not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I stayed at The Narawan for 8 days. It's about 300 metres from the main road and about 400 metres from the beach. The wifi signal was very good with fairly decent speeds. It's a 10 minute stroll to the nearest shopping centre and 20 - 30 minutes into town. There are plenty of motorbike taxis or tuk tuks around if you're not into walking.

The pool is big enough for a dip and it gets the sun till about 5.30pm, so plenty of time to top up the tan.

Breakfast was included in the price, but I can't comment on it, as I'm a night owl, so never made it down in time. Instead, I went to a small cafe across the road called L'oxygene. It's next to the KiteSurfing shop. The owner is really nice and she makes a really good breakfast.

Be aware, there is a railway track that runs right past the back of this hotel, so you will hear the trains tooting their horns at various times of the day and night. They have to do this as there is no safety barrier to stop the traffic.

One final thing. The lift is now operational.

When I return to Hua Hin, I will probably choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends