“very good hotel and the staff were brillant”
Review of Mantra Resort

Mantra Resort
Ranked #61 of 144 Hotels in Hua Hin
Reviewed 30 July 2011

The mantra resort is a bit out of the main resort of hua hin,don't be put off.
This hotel was exceptional in my opinion,the rooms were the best of all the hotels that my wtfe and I have stayed in and the food was exceptional but then all food in thailand has the mark of being very good.
I have to mention the staff that work in this resort ,nothing was any trouble and the service was first class.
There is some good restaurants close to this hotel. To name a few Papa's Johns and Kamphu , the food in these restaurants was very good. Also the pool area was so peaceful and very clean and the jacuzzi was so relaxing.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 July 2011

My husband and I have just returned from a two week holiday at the Hua Hin Mantra Resort in Thailand. Our initial arrival at the Resort was a big shock as at present it is surrounded by building works. A large hotel/block of flats is being built at the front of the hotel and a number of houses/villas are being built at the side. This obviously means there is alot of building noise going on throughout the day, including pile driving. However once we entered the Hotel we were pleasantly surprised, The layout of the Hotel is very relaxing and our room (deluxe with sea view) was very nice with a balcony. The hotel is outside of the main town but in a great location for the beach (a two minute walk from reception). The staff are extremely helpful and although their English is not very good they do all they can to help you, They organised a tuk tuk for us every evening to take us to the main centre and also organised taxi's and excursions for us. We were able to get a great massage on the beach right by the Hotel - a real treat. At night the Night Market and the area to the right of the Fishing Pier are really buzzing with great places to eat, If you are interested in getting clothes made in Thailand I would highly recommend the Hong Kong Tailor (opposite Starbucks on the main road, just down from the Night Market) I had a number of garments made including dresses and jackets and my husband had shirts made. The price was very reasonable and the quality was brilliant. The guys were extremely friendly, We were bombarded by the various tailors each time we went out but chose the Hong Kong Tailor initially because of the superb design and quality of stitching on a dress in the window. We then met a number of European clients whilst in the shop many of whom who had returned year after year. If you are interested in fishing in Hua Hin we would recommend to go to Cha-am Fishing Park (about 30 min taxi ride) 400 baht for a days fishing (including rod) plus about 100 baht for bait. My husband was catching impressive fish all day, do not be tempted to go to the Hua Hin Fishing Lodge definately a waste of money. Hope these comments help you and that you have as great a holiday as we did. Definately considering going back again next year.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms will not offer you any privacy during the day. Some of them are literally right nex...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank barker88
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I stayed there with my family during our vacation in July 2011. The resort is located in Khao Takiab what means it is not in the city center of Hua Hin. I would recommend you have a car while staying there as there are not many shops around. The beach is just a hundred meters away (but not that beautiful). The best part of the resort are the rooms. They are spacious and nicely furnished with a big balcony. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The rates are very good and in general it is a nice resort for a few days of relaxation for an affordable price.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I have many things to say about this hotel. I was expecting it to be wonderful after reading the reviews here but I was bitterly unhappy with our experince.
I will sumarise why I dislike this hotel.
We were kept waiting over an hour for our room on arrival with no drink offered. Flies everywhere in the lobby. It was awful! We were told to buy a drink at the pool bar. No one was at the pool bar it was shut!
Breakfast was again not good. The staff seem to try hard. Food particularly the bread, pastries, salad stuff and fresh fruit all left uncovered and flies all over it. At night the bay leaf restaurnt is troubled with mosquitos. Yes I know mosquitos are inevitable BUT the Mantra have big problems. I was stung 6 times and my husband 7 times in just 15 mintues. We could not eat there due to this.
The swimming pool is a disgrace with many loose tiles that need urgebt fixing before someone is cut.
The main issue I had was a female thai staff member thinking it amusing to call my Thai daughter in law a hooker!!! How insulting. We filed a complaint to the manager and tour rep and this is still pending. We left what should have been a 9 night break after just 3 nights. This was my Sons honeymoon ruined!
I have travelled extensively and I am not fussy but I could not tolerate another day at the mantra.
I do want to say that apart from this one female individual that was rude all other staff we encountered were very friendly and hard workers.
If the Mantra addressed the mosuito problem and other issues I mentioned and maybe extendedtheir facilities it could be so much better.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank fudge
Reviewed 23 March 2011

This was our first visit to Asia, the Mantra was OK but a little tired and we felt the it wasn't well managed. the staff were charming but sometimes communication seemed an issue. On arrival, (tired and jet lagged) they tried to put us in a lower grade room than booked with the promise we could move the next day. We involved the Hayes and Jarvis rep who was less than helpful and in the end we insisted on the correct room. After 3 hours we moved in and the room was superb (balcony & see view in main block).

A massage booked in the Mantra never materialised.

My wife loved the pool, the beach was brilliant but sun beds in the Mantra Beach bar are limited - we spent time in Let's Sea opposite. From outr poinyt of view, stay in the Mantra & sunbathe, & have late night coffee in Let's Sea!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CardiffTaffman
Reviewed 5 December 2010

On arrival was dissapointed as the hotel is situated quite a distance from the town, needed a taxi every night to go out,
This sounds all negative but the hotel staff couldnt do enough for us.There were plenty of sunbeds by the pool so that was great no fighting for them.The maid was lovely always very helpful.The manager couldnt do enough to help us he agreed for us to stay in our room until we were ready to go.
After exploring the are we found a public bus service we only had to wave the bus down and we could go from one end of the town to the other for 10bhts only(20p) it wa a great way to see the area and how the local people manage their day .We had a lovely time would go again if the opportunity came up.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank norman T
Reviewed 9 November 2010

great lovely cosy place. staff were attentive and pleasant, beach just a short walk down ... highly recommended for those who are looking for some respite from crazy pace of life..

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo