“Check you have right place before you pay !”
Review of Elephant Village

Elephant Village
derbyshire
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Check you have right place before you pay !”
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

Booked taxi and showed them a picture to take us to the hutsadin elephant foundation.
But they took us to elephant village instead. Which unfortunately we didn't spot until we had paid a 1000 baht each.
Should have realised something was wrong as a baby elephant was pacing on a short chain near ticket desk.
We were Promised a tour on an elephant of temples and scenery. But only got an elephant ride around a squalid dirt track/shanty town/waste ground.
Really felt though it was all a big tourist con and they just got you on and off as quick as possible.
Didn't make it to hutsadin but it must be better than this. Came away feeling ripped off by elephant village and taxi company. Check you have right place before you pay and don't believe taxi driver!!

Visited October 2013
6 Thank 2coats

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
“Not that bad ”
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

We must of had a unique experience here after reading the other reviews, as personally me and my boyfriend had a really fun time!
During the ride, the rider got off the elephant and let us both take it in turns to sit on the elephants neck and ride it by ourself while he took lots and lots of photos!!
The rider was very friendly and had a great personality, no complaints there!!
Yes there were lots of stray dogs but they are everywhere in Hua hin! And they feed the dogs so I don't think it's too much of an issue

We had a great time here especially when the little elephant kissed me on the cheek!
Remember it's Thai land and isn't the most cleanest, safe place in the world anyway!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Depressing...”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Of course it's amazing to get close to an elephant - but it was very hard to ignore the surrounding squalor, astounding numbers of mangy dogs, miserable cattle and money focused owners - none of which augured well for the elephants. There was no information, education or discussion about elephants offered at all. We weren't even told their names, as they heaved us about in the heat. The performing baby elephant looked frightened of the 'trainer' (?owner, not a mahout). The price was exorbitant by local standards and felt like a big ripoff. Would I recommend - no. Our hotel sent us here, when we actually wanted to go to the other, recommended attraction. I will be telling the hotel what I think.

Visited October 2013
6 Thank K H
Toronto, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Terrible”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I wouldn't even give 1 point for that place. At first, I want to compare the Elephant Village to Hua Hin Safari (the new one).We went to the both places in September. The prices were very expensive at the both places comparing to Bangkok's prices, however Hua Hin Safari deserves the higher prices, because the place is new and well-maintained, elephants don't look sick or abused, they have nice animal shows in the Hua Hin SAFARI. However, the ELEPHANT VILLAGE is very dirty, has poo everywhere, sick looking poor elephants and incredibly rude staff, who try to squeeze money from you!

Go to the new Hua Hin Safari instead of the Elephant Village. But, better go riding elephants in Bangkok, it will cost you only 800 baht/pax for the whole day package (elephants, waterfall, zoo and etc).

Visited September 2013
4 Thank Elena L
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Ok, so we were probably ripped off!-worth seeing the elephants though”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I had read the reviews about how expensive this experience was,which turned out to be true, but the rest of my family wanted to go.
We of course were won over by seeing elephants so close- they just have that effect on you. We opted for the safari- two person seats swaying too and fro on top of a huge elephant for nearly an hour. The area is a bit rough, yes there are dogs everywhere and there is litter- this in not Disney World, this is how people live and this venture provides them with a living.
My teenage children and my husband thought it was fantastic, for someone like me who does not really do heights and spent the whole ride worrying about falling off- one small strap between me and the ground !it was not so great! No risk assessments done here!
And yes, nearly to the end we stopped under the trees for the elephant drivers to peddle their wares( I assume their wages are not too good) but they spent plenty of time getting on and off the elephants to take photos for us all, except on my phone I was too scared to get the device out of my pocket!
We all came away feeling we had experienced something special with these magnificent animals and it had probably cost us a bit more than it should have, but it was a once in a lifetime experience I will never forget.

Visited August 2013