“Spicy Italian Food”

Ranked #153 of 680 Restaurants in Hua Hin
Price range: US$5 - US$12
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: New opening chef marco close monday
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Casa Mia was very good when it was new and had an Italian Chef. Today my guess must be that there are Thai people cooking the food. We have been there only 2 times the last 2 years and last year when we did visit I did order a pasta dish. I could not eat it as it was far to spicy for me. The Swedish owner came over and returned the dish to the kitchen. I was ofcourse expecting the dish to be replaced to something that could remind me of Italy. But the owner himself came back with the dish to my table and told me that he had tasted it himself and it was sure not spicy!
I have never during my 45 years that I have been eating in restaurants seen such a behavior from anyone. I was amazed that the owner treated his guests in that way, specially as we both are Swedish and did have the conversation in Swedish. What else could I do than pay and leave the Place hungry! A few moths ago we did give it Another try, this time a pizza was served and again my senestive tastbuds started to burn. When I looked closer to the pizza there was chilli all over. Wise from my previous mistake I did call the waitress instead of the Swedish owner and had a new pizza. The Swedish owner was busy making drinks for himself and his son in the middle of the restaurant which they later enjoyed sitting outside on the veranda. Also a bit strange for me!

Pisa C, General Manager at Pizza Casa Mia, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time review us as we really appreciate all kinds of comments as it helps us improve and become a better restaurant.

As I understand from your profile that you are a frequent traveller and passionate eater I find it very hard to digest a comment like yours. After such terrible experience one would expect that you would take immediate action against us and not wait for two whole months before posting this. And by doing so, saving the trouble for our miserable customers… And you even came back to us after such a bad first experience?, we really thank you for the second chance, but there are some facts regarding your dining experience that we must look at…….

You are right we had an Italian chef when we opened 5 years ago, and we have one now as well, his name is Pasquale and he hates chili as it kills the taste of the fresh products.

It is not our policy to serve ANY spicy food unless requested from the customer. We do make a spaghetti seafood that many customers enjoy with a little chill on request, but hearing that it was uneatable due to too much chili is simply not possible. Even more puzzling that we would serve Pizzas covered with Chili, as we do not carry any Pizzas with chili in our menu whatsoever. We do however serve our PIZZA DIAVOLA with spicy Italian sausage. The owner ( who decides supervises all the dishes ) loves it and I assure you, he hates chili just as much as our chef, so that one can not be the pizza you ate.

When you describe that the owner him self would taste your food and send it back to you in the same state is quite interesting as well, and as a proud Swede it makes even less sense that he would treat a countryman that way, complaining customers are very likely to receive a free meal if we make a mistake, our policy has always been very clear on that subject.

About enjoying a drink on the veranda. You might be referring to a trial of the “Americano” aperitif we inserted in the menu and unfortunately the owner is the only person who is in title to do so, and i can not recall any other occasion as both of them usually drinks only wine or beer. And I found it even more interesting that you haven’t mention at all there was a lady sitting together. Since the son of the owner NEVER dine alone without his wife at evening (which is me in this case), and I really can’t recall there was any dissatisfied customer in that evening.

We do appreciate your concern and the time you have dedicated us. We will gladly welcome you back and have a constructive chat with our chef regarding spices and food in Italian cuisine and verify for yourself that pizzas with Chili are not served in our restaurant.

We are in Thailand after all, with your sensitive taste buds it must be a very hard life for you in this country having all the incredible spices everywhere.

Said this, some readers here may start to wonder: Has your actual visit ever even took place? Mind you, after discussing with the owner, he can not recall ever seeing you, or talking with you for that matter, and with such an incredible story, he would surely remember as he is there every day of the week…..

Review such as yours begs the question, “ Has this reviewer actually visited the restaurant at all?” Some might suspect ( Looking at our previous reviews ) that this is a fabricated review created to push us down on the ratings and we would hope in that case that Tripadvisor will ensure fair play at all times.

Take care!

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Very fresh and tastefull italian food. Everything home made with real italian ingredients. It felt like we were in Italy espesially when we met the cook, real italian nice guy.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

been hanging out in hua hin for a while now, and have tried out several places. Casa Mia is surely outstanding for the pizzas and the pasta as well, best food I had in a long long time. Had to try the desserts also, Tiramisu' is awsome!! Keep on the good job guys, I 'll be back soon, promise!!

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Been to Pizza Casa Mia many times before, never disappoints. I had the special last night for the 2nd time since our holiday, 4 cheese ravioli, delicious!

The staff are always welcoming, service is excellent, nice authentic Italian. 10/10

Nice out of town restaurant.

1  Thank Pam681
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I’ve eaten at Case Mia a few times in the past and it’s a reasonable restaurant, but as I had some friends coming over I thought I would try takeaway.

I called in advance and ordered Pizza and Pasta for take away. Staff where not overly welcoming when I arrived to pick up, I had been told 30 minutes on the phone but my order wasn’t ready when I got there, over 30 minutes later.

I found that the bread used for bruschetta was very dense and not overly appetizing. The Pizza was quite cold by the time I got home, although I live less than 10 minutes away, it was a pretty average pizza, not a lot of taste in the sauce and I found the base quite salty. Pasta was also very average and not a very big portion.

It certainly wasn’t the worst meal I have had by far and it was takeaway, but I would not be in a hurry to order takeaway from them again and there are certainly better options for pizza in Hua Hin.

Next time I’ll try the sit in option and see how it fares in comparison.

Cheers
Hua Hin Food Critic

Pisa C, General Manager at Pizza Casa Mia, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Hi,

Thank you so much for sharing your precious opinion with us! We treasure your advice as it's extremely important for our sustained improvement.

I apologized for our inefficiency of our pick up service on your latest experience. It's rarely happened that takes over 30 minutes for an order but I will discuss it with my team and try to organize it better on the future. I agree with your opinion about the bread as I noticed the same issue 2 months ago according to the saltiness of the Pizza crust due to changing different flour supplier, and we already changed back to the original one after noticing the problem.

I am glad and very thankful to hear that you are willing to give us another opportunity on the future. We will keep trying our best and hope you will be satisfy on your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact and share your opinion with us.

Thanks again. Look forward to your next visit and take care!