“Kind of Fun but Expensive and A Bit Sad”
Review of Hua Hin Safari

Hua Hin Safari
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Our daughters, who have grown up in Asia, have ridden many animals but never elephants, so we wanted to give them the chance. However, we were shocked when we arrived today to find that the prices where six times what we expected (our fault to some extent, theirs to the rest of it!). They were asking 1800 Thai baht per hour elephant ride and we ended up paying 1000 each. Had we known it was that expensive we would not have gone but once we had paid an expensive van ride to get there we felt compelled...

We mounted the animals from a platform. Each held a bench type seat that would hold two adults or an adult and two small children. I'm told that sometimes they allow children to ride in front of the driver on the heads of the animals. The ride took us on a path up a small rise, through a bit of jungle, back around through a horribly stinky channel of water full of elephant feces back to the same platform. We felt the advertised hour ride was dishonest. If the animals had walked at a steady slow pace, it could have taken fifteen to twenty minutes. Instead, the elephants kept stopping. The appearance was that they were balky and unwilling to walk forward when, in fact, if the elephants had not stopped the ride would have come nowhere near an hour. So they advertise an hour "ride" when they give you a 20 minute ride and a 40 minute "wait". For the price I thought it was a rip off.

At the end of the ride they gave each of us a water and a bit of fresh pineapple and offered us the chance to purchase photos of our trip in frames of elephant dung. Nice photos but we passed. At the end of the ride they also offered to sell us bead bracelets and necklaces, which we also passed on.

They also offered a package deal which included various animal shows, none of which interested us.

The facility entrance was an attractive pavilion with stools and tables. The restroom was clean enough. All of the buildings appeared well kept and attractive. However, even though I am not overly sensitive about animals, I thought it was nothing short of abusive to make these animals walk through the narrow canal filled with filthy, buggy, repulsive, elephant pee/poop filled water. I almost vomited riding through it and I've smelled some disgusting things in my life. ;)

At the end of the day, we'd had a unique family experience. The sky was blue; the clouds were puffy; the sun was out; and I'd been with my loved ones. It's not that it was a total loss, but I felt the dishonest packaging of the experience mixed with the unpleasant circumstances for the elephants made this some place we would never go again, nor would we recommend it to friends.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I went to Hua Hin safari and adventure park today, the moment we arrived they want me to part with 5200 baht, this was for elephant trecking and three shows, we decided not to go elephant trecking and just paid to watch the shows. To put it pluntly it was not worth the money
and a waste of time, take my advice and stay away

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Unfortunately, we had not prepared ourselves properly before we went here with a taxidriver from our hotel. We thought we were goibg to the Hutsadin elephant sanctuary but sadly ended up at Hua Hin safari and adventure park. The elephant show was 1300,- baht/person - totally outrageous!!! The entrance fee to the zoo in Copenhagen is less than this.
The show was not good.
Daylight robbery - pls. stay away from this horrible place!!!

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We found a taxi tour to visit the Safari (800 baht) and the Monkey Mountain (500baht) total 1300baht. He said if we take both, he can do it for 1100baht. We thought it was a reasonable price for both attractions so we took the offer.
So, first we went to the Safari, at arrival a sales man comes out to welcome us and he's trying to sell us a package in the first second already. He said the package is 3300baht for one person which is includes a 1 hour elephant ride and 2 animal shows. Of course we were surprised because we thought we already paid for the tour and entrance via the taxi driver. The show is inside and the ride inside the safari, and because the guide shows us pictures of the tour with the elephant ride we think it's both the same.

Then the guy understands we think it's too much and so he started to sell different packages of 2500, 2300,1800 and 1500baht. But we still think is not fair that we have to pay extra and exactly at that moment it starts to rain. I think is our lucky day because we didn't pay yet. But the guy keep asking: how? pay now? only the elephant ride?? And we said: It's raining, and it's really heavy raining not one that passes by quick as well. So we ask: How can we do the elephant ride? He said: the rain will stop in 15 mins, you can do.

Looking at the rain we thought that was really unbelievable, how can he said that? But we wait, because we cannot go anyway. Then finally we leave after 30mins when the rain almost stopped. I think it's really a bad experience we had with the taxi driver. So surprised how they treat the tourists. Also with the Safari sales guy. How he can he try so sell you an elephant ride with heavy rain??

1  Thank Esbella20
Reviewed 3 October 2013

A wonderful hour long elephant ride in a safari setting as advertised. Facilities are modern and well kept and the staff is very friendly and service oriented. They offer a great package deal that includes the ride, 2 pictures and elephant food. Conveniently located if you are staying in the Hua Hin area. This attraction is recommended.