“Great wine, realistic prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mondo Vino

Mondo Vino
Ranked #225 of 611 Restaurants in Hua Hin
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Stockport
“Great wine, realistic prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Back home in the UK we are spoilt when it comes to the variety, price and availability of quality wines. It would be fair to say we probably have the best choice anywhere in the world. I have so often been disappointed to see the cost of wine in Thailand, for example, a half bottle of Jacob's Creek at seven eleven costs double what I could buy a full sized bottle for in a UK supermarket on promotion. For this reason, I have long considered wine in Thailand to be more of a rare treat because their import duty, as also apparent on European cars over there, appears to be completely unreasonable. It's also worth mentioning that I previously managed several specialist wine shops and passed the WSET Advanced Certificate with a distinction so I know what I'm talking about when it comes to drinks.

I was fortunate to be staying next door at Putahracsa and would otherwise have never known about Mondo Vino but was very glad I saw it when passing by. How nice it is in Thailand to enjoy decent wine by the glass and at a realistic price as there isn't a huge mark up on the retail cost. They had an appealing outdoor seating area with a clean, modern design and the interior was very nice. Although they only had a small choice of wines on the menu, the shop has a great selection inside to take away. It's rare to find such a variety in Thailand without looking at the massively overpriced menu of an international 5 star chain hotel's restaurant. If you are on holiday, it's worth remembering that most restaurants are happy for you to take your own wine and charge corkage, or you could always enjoy a bottle in your room? I bought a 2007 Peter Lehman Art Series Cabernet Sauvignon for just 620 baht and with plenty of bottle aging it was a delight.

Service was very friendly and they brought me free nibbles and cold water. I didn't try the food as I visited between meals but from the photos posted by other reviewers, the cheese and meat platters look like they would be great to share over a bottle. They also had a selection of reasonably priced pizzas. If I lived locally, I would certainly be purchasing mixed cases from them on a regular basis. The only negatives I could find would be the noise from the busy road if you sit outside during the daytime and the weak wi-fi signal but otherwise it was a very pleasant find. It's also only a 10 minute stroll from central Hua Hin and well worth seeking out.

2 Thank TruerReviewer

• Thai first
“Best Wine Deals in Thailand”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

I live in Bangkok but there are no shops there that offer the kind of good value as Mondo Vino in Hua Hin. For a relatively standard sized wine shop it offers a very comprehensive selection of global wines from all the leading wine producing nations. Wine is an expensive commodity in Thailand because it's subjected to high import taxation but looking at some of the very reasonably priced budget wines you wouldn't know this. This shop is very selective how they choose their wines and even the lower end range are of very respectable quality.
I read a very negative review on here from a guttersnipe who obviously doesn't know the first thing about wine, I think it's mean reviewing a subject you know nothing about and leaving lots of negative comments. I worked in the high end wine business for a number of years and was lucky enough to get to drink most of the superstars from the world of wines. The wines from Mondo Vino have been very well sourced by someone with an in depth knowledge of wine. If your budget goes up to 900baht+ you can find exceptional wines here.
Service is low key, polite, formal and friendly. I couldn't comment on the food because I've never eaten here but it's an associated business with La Grappe Italian restaurant (same owner I believe) and I know from experience that it's the finest Italian restaurant in HH by a mile. The wines are exceptional there too but are sold with a higher mark up

• Visited December 2013
Peter-kirketerp, Owner at Mondo Vino, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear Customer,

Many thanks for the review dated 6th December 2013. We are indeed very pleased, that you you have found our shop to your liking and that you have the in debt wine industry knowledge allowing you to appreciate the wine selection and prices we offer to customers. You are perfectly correct, that wines in Thailand are expensive and lately even more so due to a newly introduced additional spirits and wine tax. Being involved in three different business in the restaurant and wine sector, we are constantly exposed to comments of all kinds and it will be safe to state, that management and staff of all three businesses are doing their best to serve customers no matter what the customer is looking to purchase. The service industry is difficult or at least very subjective, because it is subjected to so may different customer standards and all with different backgrounds and knowledge of the products available and their pricing and frankly, also subject to different pockets - often the pocket determines the experience and quality of the experience rather than the the product itself - it is a universal fact, that decent quality comes with a price tag, and quit a few people do not appreciate that, however, in regard to wines, one need not always to look for the expensive wines in order to be able to drink a decent quality wine ( as you also point out ). Therefore, it is indeed a pleasure to receive your review so refreshing and fortunately, by most of our reviews are along the lines of your very positive comments. Thank you again for your constuctive comments, which we hope will assist other potential customers both to visit our shop and to appreciate the variety of quality wines and prices. Kindly let us know, if you plan to return to Mondo Vino and we shall be pleased to meet up with you for a glass of wine . With kind regards from the Owner.
Livingston, United Kingdom
“Great wine and pizza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Great choice of wine and reasonably priced. Good, tasty and cheap pizza, a nice lunch or dinner. Very relaxed setting and atmosphere.

Visited August 2013
Hua Hin, Thailand
“Good wine shop with occasional wine dinners”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

This wine shop offers very good value buffet dinners on Thursday night with unlimited wine and if you want to get sloshed on a Sunday afternoon try their Belgian Beer and Pizza session.The shop offers monthly wine specials at good prices and if you have unlimited funds the sky is the limit for their exclusive wine selection.Very nice and friendly staff

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Bjorn O
Vladivostok, Russia
“Mondo Vino? No desiro.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

Another objective review from Fatt Matt. As usual, your experience may vary.

Quite possibly the worst "dining" experience for the money that I have had in Cha Am/ Hua Hin. Which is saying a lot.

It's a wine store and that's about all it is although its website would have you believe that it also serves pizza and pasta.

Thing is, it never really "served" pasta. A related restaurant cooked the pasta and then motorbiked it over to Mondo Vino. After enough people complained about how long it took to get their food, they stopped doing that. Only they didn't bother to change the menu on their website. So one would be well led to think they still serve "food". Which they don't. They serve dumpster filler pizza and expensive wine.

Mind you, the thin-bread was tasty. But getting a second (tiny) serving of it was like asking for the waitress' first born.

I went there during the last day of Songkran and they had run out of of ham. So four of the seven pizzas weren't available unless a little lateral thinking was used and Parma ham was employed instead. I know it's a big holiday in Thailand and everything. But that's part of a restaurant manager's job: ordering food ahead of time so waitresses don't need to say "Oh. We don't have that. Sold out".

The weirder and much less excusable thing was that as I walked into the place, I picked up a copy of "Hua Hin Today", a local "news" paper that's really just a giant real estate advertisement.

There was a Mondo Vino ad in it featuring a happy hour special. Oddly (actually not really), the waitress said nothing about the happy hour deal that was in the place's own ad. So...I read about the thing in a free news-rag rather than actually being sold it by the staff of the restaurant that ran the ad. Which means that probably the only way this place makes any money is by serving marked-up wine to "expats" stupid enough to pay for it. Because clearly their staff (or at least that particular member) had no idea what- or even if- the happy hour deal was. And yes, we were there during the times that it was supposed to have been going on.

Pizzas: I had the Parma ham one. Mrs Fatt had the Hawaiian (with Parma ham in place of Hua Hin Ham, of course). Both were lumpy, oily, and hardly warm (strange since we were the only people in there). The Hawaiian had lumps of pineapple on it. Even Domino's knows enough to spread the things out evenly.

Wine: "No, you can't try before you buy" a $30 bottle of wine in what's supposed to be a specialist wine place.

Service: "Um, I'm not too sure" to just about every reasonable question about the food or wine.

I admit that I may sound petty here. But I don't want to pay to eat crummy food and drink expensive wine with lousy service just because it's a "wine bar" in Cha Am (which, by the way, isn't really Hua Hin) that other people think, for some reason, is posh and trendy because they don't really know any better.

Maybe because we visited it during its Songkran hangover the place was being run by a trained chimp. Maybe not. I don't know.

Regardless, we won't visit it again. It's tourist trap mutton dressed up as oneophile lamb.

Give it a miss and save some money. Go down to the beach, have a glass of equally as good (but 1/2 the price wine) and enjoy the sea breeze instead.

Oh and, anyone claiming this is "the best pizza in Thailand" is in some sort of dream world.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank FattM
Peter-kirketerp, Owner at Mondo Vino, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Dear Fatt M, Chiang Mai.

Thanks for your review. We appreciate good as well as bad reviews and welcome any one with a constructive contribution. We usually leave the comments, good or bad, alone for other to judge. However, with your particular review, we find, as long and intensive it is, that it deserves a response in so much that elements of your comments are plain incorrect and / or pure speculative, whilst other comments are well taken. That said, we do regret that you have had a poor experience visiting Mondo Vino and we will certainly look into your relevant comments with a clear view to improve things.
Our comments are : The promotional wines, of which we have many and all very competitively priced no matter your views on this, are all available to customers for tasting prior to any purchase, all staff are fully aware of this and I take issue with a different view point - this particular service does separate our wine shop from several other wine shops in town hence the importance of this comment. As a specialist wine shop, to use your own phrase, we see no commercial benefit in offering non regular customer tasting wines in the range at Baht 900.00 / bottle and above, However, our regular customer, Thai and Foreign, are all welcome to taste our selection and we do open expensive wines for customers who are interested in wines, with a higher price tag - your review suggest, that you prefer the cheaper lines ( ref. the comment about beach wines ). Our wines by glass are certainly not expensive by any body's standard and we dare say, that you are plain wrong there with your comments - but we certainly have no problems, if you prefer the wines served on the beach to those we serve and we happily agree that the beach view is certainly a more pleasant one to any other views in the center of town. We have not offered pasta to customers for many months so your comments on this is either pure speculation or meant to serve another purpose, if not both ??. Other views expressed by you are just plain negative, with no foundation in reality or knowledge, they are pure speculative and as such, deserve no credit.
Mondo Vino is not a restaurant and never was and never will be under current ownership. We have special events on a regular basis serving food based on a catering service. Therefore, the provision to serve snacks and pizza is just to compliment the wines, being our core business - the website, which you correctly point out needs editing to this extend and that will be done.
We have with interest also read your reviews of other establishments in Hua Hin and wish you all the best in your search. Management and Owner.