“SPA exclusive and expensive”
Review of Chiva-Som

Chiva-Som
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I heard a lot about Chivasom-Som in 15 Years so was exited to be able to visit for the first time. Well, long drive (3hours with a booked chauffeur) after a 15 hours flight. The place is very nice although you feel that it would need some sort of makeover when you suddenly see the bill at the end. Staff is very Nice (thaï)... And happy to work there. Food is a delight so if you want to relax, loose wait and foot an expensive bill, this is your place. Make sure to ask the massage therapist to turn the music off as old and fading glory Spa music is very anoying . I would still go back

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Husy27

Reviewed 2 July 2014

If you need time to un-wind, de-stress, or just relax (Healthily)… then treat yourself to a Wellness Break at Chiva-Som – as we have just done…FIRSTLY… don’t be put off by the fact that it is primarily a Wellness Resort & Spa,
Chiva-Som is your “Haven of Life” on the Gulf of Thailand. Chiva-Som is about learning to live, enjoy and appreciate every moment, and in so doing, creating a personal path to health and wellness.
We recently had a 4 night stay here, which does include:
• Individual Health and Wellness Consultation on arrival
This is essential for your visit, since it lets you plan your activities, etc, throughout your stay, and so leave you not having to worry about what you are doing while you are there.
• Three Chiva-Som spa cuisine meals per day.
Don’t Panic…, As long as you are not on a De-tox or Weight Loss Program, then you can still eat very well – Plenty of Local Seafood, Great Healthy Menus, and even Tenderloin. Coffee at breakfast and a selection of Wines during dinner.. but all done with a “Healthy” twist..
• One Body massage per day
There are a variety of “inclusive” massages available (Thai Massage, Chiva-Som Massage, Relaxing Foot Massage, Invigorating Massage) – but also a huge range of other Specialized Massages, Treatments & Therapies that you can opt in for (
• Complimentary use of the Water Therapy Suites which include Steam, Sauna and Jacuzzi
This area on its own is probably the most relaxing and a perfect to loosen you up before a massage

• Participation in daily fitness and leisure activities.
Again there are many complimentary activities such as Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates, Aqua Aerobics ...and they are not compulsory…

We stayed in an Ocean View Room located in the Main Ocean View building, which was great and actually prefer this to the more expensive Thai Pavilions - which are located in the garden,

Room Tip: Ocean View Rooms have a great View (naturally) but also the closest access to the wellness center, e...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Thomas T
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have had the good fortune to visit Chiva Som since 2007. It was the reason the I managed to stop smoking. To renew myself physically, mentally and emotionally. If you can afford the time and the cost, highly recommended, but only if you go for at least two weeks.

Room Tip: Ask for the one by the Banyan tree.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SBXT
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was looking around to go somewhere that I can eat healthy food, get some treatment and relax. I've been wanting to come to Chiva Som for a while but I heard that it's quite expensive. I made a decision to go for 5 day and I think the price is reasonable.

I love the food there. Everything tasted so good and you can feel it's so fresh and clean food.

All the treatments are really nice. The staff are amazing. They're really helpful and courteous.

I came out feeling really relaxed and unwind.

I will definitely return ;-)

Room Tip: Ocean room is great. It's close to everything.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Air-Thai-Life
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Chiva Som is the place to go when you need downtime. No electronics allowed outside your room (phones, tablets, kindles - nothing!) and so you are almost forced to relax. If you like to read - bring paper books! Please excuse my photos as they were taken very early morning so as not to disturb other patrons. Privacy is rightly fiercely protected here.

You can do as much, or as little as you like. This was my third visit and as such over the course of those visits I have had a totally relaxing time, a busy exercise focused time, a detoxed time and a thoroughly successful weight loss time! Massage everyday, stretching, Tai Chi in the mornings, yoga, pilates, personal training (at altitude - called Hypoxic training - to burn more calories), swimming pool workouts, a calorie controlled diet & the advice of the nutritionist - who, through blood tests helped me identify food intolerances & some supplements I needed to get my energy back on track. No, it didn't save my life, but it sure enhanced it!

The hardware is getting a little worn, but rumour has it when we were there in April this year, that the resort is going to be closed at some point in the near future for a badly needed renovation.
The staff are caring, focused and well trained. The food is excellent & served in the right portions, or help yourself to the buffet. Wine is available & delicious. Smoking can only be done in a far off corner in the wind - but then this resort is all about health and wellness, so it is right that they don't make the smoking easy : )

You will not spend much time in your room - so opt for a basic room in the main building. Some of the pagodas require quite a walk to the main area & they are tiny. You will spend most of your time at Chiva Som in their very comfy "pyjamas" - which is actually a grandad vest style T-Shirt (3 buttons on the round neck) and elasticated cotton trouser bottoms. It is almost a uniform. So comfy and easy - perfect for most of the activities & for getting from one appointment/massage, to the next. Some people dress for dinner (some over dress), but generally just think relaxed and easy and you won't go wrong.

We will return again and again as, once you have been to Chiva Som, it is hard to find anywhere else that offers the same sort of wide ranging services that are focused on getting you to feel the best you possibly can. It is worth the rather tedious 3 hour drive from Bangkok as you will actually be more that a little bit spoilt once you are there.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the Pagodas - too far away from the main building, more likely to have mosquit...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TDS1960
Reviewed 15 May 2014

There's no word to describe this amazing international health resort. It's great place to spend your holiday depending what you are looking for. They've got packages you can choose from such as weight management, detox, relaxing and so on. It really depends what you are looking for and they advise you with the best package.
I tried their detox and weight management which is amazing. Simply: You stay at the resort, choose your package, diet or healthy food is served on daily basis and you attend various health classes (yoga, aerobics, cardio, gym and many more)
The resort is quiet, doesn't accommodate many guests, located by the beautiful beach, amazing staff- well trained
Of course if you have free time you can always go shopping in the city center. It's close by (around 10mins by car)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank M Q
Reviewed 27 April 2014

When I stayed:

12 March 2014. You just couldn't get any more perfect. Not too hot and not too cold.

For how long I stayed for:

7 nights (don't go for any shorter as it took me five days to relax and get into the swing of things. However, I would think 10 days to 2 weeks would be more than sufficient. If you are full on serious about weight loss then maybe a month if you can afford it). I went solo so don't worry about it if you are. There were plenty of people to chat to and there was a talk table for single people. I did the spa credit of 20, 500 THB (about $700 AUD) with my booking from which to choose any treatments I liked. There were also spa packages, fitness packages etc, but you can't deviate from the package and my excellent travel agent (Wellbeing Escapes: see Anuska for excellent customer service) also suggested the spa credit was a good way to go for flexibility.

Room tips:

I stayed in Room 202 (ground floor, main building), which was so incredibly perfect it wasn't funny. I had an amazing view over the ocean, I basically rolled into the pool, restaurants and spa and everything was just so incredibly close by. It was really close by to everything and with the tight pampering / exercise / relaxing schedule it was important to be close to everything. Any room in the main building would be perfect.

The exercise:

I tried nearly everything on the exercise list: every morning without fail I did the stretch class and this was a hot favourite with everyone. I also tried boot camp (not as hard as it sounds and I never exercise), free form power balance (you have to try this: it kills you but I only did it twice and was amazed with the results. It will transform you quickly but prepare for the no pain no gain), all of the yoga sessions (good, but pranyasha was a bit weird), meditation, aqua aerobics (heaps of fun), power drum (really cool), thai chi (not for me because of the slowness of it all), zumba (heaps of fun) and other great exercises. With aqua aerobics, there is like a secret little section near the plunge pool that was really cool. It has pebbles that you walk through with a secret little spa bath in the middle of it. The pebbles was like a free foot massage. As cold as it is as well, you have to do the plunge pool, it is really worth it and you will feel singingly invigorated.

How much weight did I lose:

6 kilos in one week. 3-4 hours exercise a day (didn't feel like it though as the day was basically a stretch class, a yoga class, a boot type camp class and a cardio class) and lots of pampering. I believe it was the freeform powerbalance that did it with daily massages and emotional unleashing. I didn't do weights during that time. I did do Synergy but felt like it put a strain on my back so didn't do it again. The transformation occurred right before my eyes, literally.

The spa treatments (allow yourself around 40 minutes to have a spa, sauna before the massage, it really is worth it):

Physios: The physios are amazing. My neck was so stiff I couldn't move and my back was sore. I did the deep tissue massage (ouchy, but great and recommended) and the radial shockwave treatment (sounds worse than it really is, didn't hurt a bit, but really didn't do anything either).

Massages: I tried them all: deep tissue (yes, yes, yes), invigorating (yes, yes), signature (yes) and relaxing foot massage (yes).

Pedicure: Awful pedicure. It was done in the hairdressing salon and the seating arrangement was really uncomfortable, which everyone who had a pedicure there complained about. Not pampering at all. Ask to be put in the spa section instead if you are going to have a manicure.

Hair treatment: I did this just before I was about to head off to the airport as my hair was extremely dry from all of the exercise and washing. Started off with the aloe vera hair treatment. Expensive and not worth it. It did nothing, so I asked for the Kerastase treatment instead and wella, great hair.

The visiting consultants (very expensive and I would not pay this normally):

Mark Beale (11, 181 THB or around $388 AUD for 90 minutes): Hypnotherapist and Neurolinguistic Programmer: Mark is worth every cent and he is personable. He really knows his stuff. I saw him twice for 90 minute sessions and he is like Dynamo (the magician) of the hypnotherapist / neurolinguistic programming world. He is memorable and to me he was worth it. He also held a "what is hypnotherapy" seminar, which was really interesting and some amazing discussions were held. Go see him if he is there.

Watsu therapy: Another must do (5296 THB or $183 approx. AUD). 60 minutes and you will be reborn. Expect to cry and feel like a baby, and that is ok too, you don't have a choice with your emotions, which may be one of the reasons why you are at Chivasom (to overcome some emotional trauma). It was amazing. I felt like a bipolar mermaid going through an adventure.

Oriental Acupoint Facial 50 minutes 10,004 THB or $347 AUD approx. Great acupressure and it alleviated by neck as well.

Healing Reflexology 50 minutes $10,004 THB or $347 AUD approx. Relaxing, but not really my thing.

Shirobangha 50 minutes 10,004 THB or $347 AUD approx. Think indian head massage. Great for tense scalps that you thought you never had. Wiped me out because I was that tense!!

Chivasom grounds:

It is right on the beach and you wouldn't believe how close you are to everything. There is a security guard out the front of the place and the beach entrance, which made you feel extra safe. The grounds are beautiful and I got some great gardening ideas. They hand pick and design the flowers everyday for the pool, which is pretty amazing. The pool is not too hot and not too cold, just right. Plenty of people were lazing by the pool, but I never did this because I had conflicting demands of exercise and pampering (oh the life).

The location:

Walk to the left a few minutes up the road and you are at the Cicada markets. Go there on the weekend. It is well worth a visit for the gifts. There is a shuttle bus that takes you into town as well at specified times to the night market and this is well worth a visit. Surrounding it also are some really great shops.

The staff:

The staff were very friendly and like you see on a brochure. They were amazingly helpful and if possible, were able to re-schedule your daily events without too much concern. They provide you with an outlook calendar diary every day of what you are to do. You really need this as every minute counts (or you can laze by the pool and do nothing of course). When I went to the Circada markets, they wanted to know my name and room number so they knew where I was, which I thought was really great and made you feel secure, particularly as I was going alone.

The food:

You have to go to the bbq night on the Saturday night. It was amazing, seriously amazing. Think lobster, seafood, yummmm. Great conversations on the talk table for singles, great food, great atmosphere, great views, great wine, great music.

There are two restaurants to choose from: one is the traditional Thai and the other is more like a buffet of worldly foods, and all exceptionally yummy. Try both and see how you like it.

I initially started on the weight management program, but seriously, I wouldn't do it. The food is amazing enough, there is a calorie count in front of the food and portioned and you will lose weight anyway. Plus, it felt like I had no control, I had to quickly race back between 10 minute breaks between exercises to do the vege or protein shakes and they do remember that you are on the program. It was more hassle than it was worth and I only did it for about three days. The food is just too delicious.

Wine is seriously ridiculously expensive. I paid about $15 for a glass of wine and for my birthday I had a normal bottle of red wine for the table and it was over $100 (AUD).

The limousine transfer:

I stayed overnight at the Novotel International Airport Bangkok (I would recommend staying here as it is literally minutes walk from the airport within the airport) as my arrival was at 3pm. Chivasom limousine picked me up at 7am from the hotel and I got to Chivasom around 10am. This was a good time and by the time to you get to Chivasom with the introductions etc, you are well into the day, and you wouldn't want to waste a day would you? The drivers were great and allowed for a stop on the way. I always felt safe and the Mercedes car was beautiful. They left little snacks and drinks in the back seat console as well, which was nice. It didn't feel like three hours and I travelled alone. I preferred this over the normal travel agent transfer as I felt safer, and to me it was worth it. I felt very spoilt.

The overall experience and cons:

I hope I haven't forgotten anything. I had wanted to travel to Chivasom for 15 years, but every year decided not to go because of the cost. However, I wanted to live life without regret so finally made the decision and went for my birthday solo in March. Chivasom was an amazing place that was incredibly expensive. I was extremely stressed before I left and Chivasom provided a haven to exercise in the morning and pamper myself in the afternoon. There was quite a bit to choose from for exercise and pampering treatments. The pool was gorgeous as well as it overlooked the ocean. The two restaurants also provided plenty of choice. The room was amazing and the decision to have a room on the ground floor next to the spa was a good one. Chivasom also left me a bunch of roses and a card for my birthday, organised a birthday cake (which I shared with other Australians I had met there) and a musician to play happy birthday. It was a really nice and memorable night.

The only negative was that on the last day of my one week holiday there they said I didn't have a return transfer. I raced back to my room and provided the evidence to them and they still said that it wasn't enough. They then asked me to contact my travel agent and to sort it out. I was not impressed and there was considerable communication regarding this to the point that I cancelled my schedule of facial treatments (the dermatologist there is excellent by the way) at Niranda Spa as I was supposed to be flying out that day and I still didn't know what was going on so I waited in my room. They did not seem to believe that it was their problem, but rather that I should short it out, which put a considerable downer on my great holiday. I ended up contacting Wellbeing Escapes and sorting it out, and Anuska from Wellbeing Escapes was amazing in sorting the issue out quickly with Chivasom. I was notified at 11.30am by Chivasom what was happening with the transfer on the day I was checking out, which was half an hour later at 12pm. I was returned safely back to the airport in time for my flight at close to midnight and Chivasom allowed me to use the facilities until I left at 6pm. However, it did spoil the holiday somewhat admittedly. Overall, a great place to visit :)

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 202 (ground floor, main building), which was so incredibly perfect it wasn't fu...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo