“Nice but not so impressed”

Anantara Hua Hin Resort
Ranked #7 of 136 Hotels in Hua Hin
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice but not so impressed”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed there for 4 nights in June. On arrival we were booked in an ocean view rooms. They are quiet spacious and very nice, but very dark (at least the ground floor ones). We came with another couple. When we go to our rooms, there was a terrible smell in both of the rooms, coming from the sink or the toilets. Even the staff member who had accompagnied us, when she walked in the room, she went straight to the sliding door to open it. When we mentionned the smell she said it was normal that she couldnt smell anything. We ask to change the rooms, and they told us they would check for availabilities. Our friends told us later that they had been changed and upgraded to the lagoon rooms. We still hadnt heard from the reception. I had to go back there and ask. They told me they would show me the new room. It was the exact same room with the same smell, just in another block. I told her this wasn't good enough, and asked why they had offered a lagoon room to my friends and not to us. Then straight away she said they can give me the same room if I wanted. I still don't understand why we had to go through all this hassle, and why they don't offer the same arrangment to all the clients. I would have been fine with another ocean view room if they didnt offer me the room with the same smell. This didnt give me a first good impression.
After that the stay was good though. I think its worth upgrading for the lagoon view rooms. They are nicely decorated and you get access to a nice private pool. The bed is very comfortable. The room was very clean and they were even coming back twice to do it. The room would be cleaned while we had breakfast, and in the evening when we would come back, the bed was fixed again and they left a little personnal good night handwritten note, which I found to be a great touch. The room itself was very clean, but on the first day, the room next door had left outside of the door plates and glasses from room service. It stayed there for our whole stay, nobody ever took it away, it didn't look great. The hotel itself is very nice, peaceful and the gardens are beautiful. The breakfast was absolutely great, a lot of choice and fresh products.

Room Tip: The lagoon rooms are worth the upgrade. The ocean view rooms are nice but very dark.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thomas B, General Manager at Anantara Hua Hin Resort, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Noya24,

Thank you for having taken some of your most valuable time to complete this review on Trip Advisor.

I am very gald to read that you that you enjoyed the comfort of your room, our bar and the various cocktails as well as our breakfast and the beauty of our gardens.

I just regret that your review was published 5 months after your stay, as my predecessor could have taken the appropriate corrective action concerning the discomfort you had with your room upon arrival.

Once again thank you and we are all looking forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Thomas Barguil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stay 2 nights in October (room #727) for wedding. My general impression is really so so, in terms of service and room. Our room is ocean view with a balcony, however, the sofa in the balcony was not prepared after we check-in and pity it was a beautiful day and the wood sliding door was broken that we must wait the technician to fix. When friend asked if we receive the wedding schedule that we only got it in the evening. While check-in and check-out, it both took awhile and the counter seems not familiar. During our 2 days stay there was only two small banana as welcome; for the 2 days breakfast it was always full with guests, you must either wait or be moved to another part of resort. By its presentation in the website, we would expect something better than we experienced. Kindda of disappointed, travel so far with such quality.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank YSP2005
Dear YSP,

Thank you very much for taking some time to complete this review on Trip.

Please accept our deepest apologies for the inconvenient caused during your stay, I am saddened to read that these have affected your perception of the Anantara Hua Hin Resort & Spa and its services.

Indeed this week end was particularly busy with the beautiful wedding we had, a couple of other events and our regular clientele. We did our very best to provide the Anantara service and experience we are renowed for and your comments are most definitely assisting us in improving ourselves even better.

I do hope that we will have a chance to welcoming you again and I can assure you that your next visit will be a most enjoyable experience.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We had not been back to Anantara for over 6 years but it still is my favorite hotel in Hua Hin. The gardens are lush and beautiful, the breakfast staffs are attentive, the lagoon view rooms are large and have great views.
The shower mixer was a bit stiff and I told the staff. Hopefully that will get fixed.
Nice big pool with a large "kid friendly" part so we spent hours throwing the kids around.
Very nice band in the bar upstairs and a decent wine list. Service could have been a bit faster but the drinks were good.
Like many hotels in Hua Hin, there is not much of a beach at high tide but the hotel has long chairs in the garden by the sea and there is a sandy area for kids to play.

• Stayed October 2013
Thomas B, General Manager at Anantara Hua Hin Resort, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Dear Thierry C,

Warm greetings from the Anantara Hua Hin Resort & Spa!

Above all, it was very nice meeting you, your lovely wife and family, and I do thank you for taking the time to write such great comments about the Anantara Hua Hin and its wonderful Team.

I am glad to read that after being away for 6 years we still remain your favorite hotel in Hua Hin!

I am also grateful for all the detailled comments, these will assist us in continuously improving ourselves and to provide our guests an unforgettable Anantara experience.

Once again thank you, the Team and I are looking very much forward to welcoming you and your family once again in the very near future.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The layout and location of the resort was excellent, close to town center but very secluded and with a quiet stretch of the beach. Walking along the beach you can reach seafood restaurants, the palace.
But once you have check-in, you wouldn't want to venture out. The whole resort has everything you need for a relaxing weekend - good restaurant and bar, many swimming pools, sandy beach, spa and a small library.
The breakfast spread was excellent with good selection. Recommend the in-house restaurant as they serve good italian fusion.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear TW N,

Greetings from the Anantara Hua Hin Resort & Spa,

The team and I would like to thank you for your very nice comments about our property and services.

We are glad to read that we have contributed to make your stay a enjoyable experience and we are looking very much forward to welcoming you in the very near future.

Brisbane
Reviewed 25 October 2013

What a beautiful resort to stay. Gardens were magnificent. Make sure you have a long walk around to see the full beauty of all the gardens, The resort is huge with many different types of accommodation. Staff were very friendly and helpful, allowing us to look at a couple of rooms to choose from. We had a connecting room which was very helpful for families. A special thank you to Alex for assisting us. Apart from sharing a bed with my daughter and my sister sharing a bed next door with her daughter the rooms were very roomy, comfortable, very clean and all facilities required for a fantastic stay. The pool was amazing as was the breakfast that was different each day of our stay. We especially liked the Happy Hour each day where you could get 2 for 1 drinks. Staff were extremely helpful to my mother who used a wheelchair to get to the foyer when travelling into town. We found it cheaper to get the staff to ring a taxi for us to go into town-200BT each way as there were 5 of us. Food was expensive at the resort so we ate in town each day. There are no restaurants outside the resort either-Only a convenience shop across the road. We had a fabulous and relaxing holiday at the resort. Would recommend it to anyone and would definitely come and stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dianne M
Thomas B, General Manager at Anantara Hua Hin Resort, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Dear Dianne M,

Warm greetings from the Anantara Hua Hin Resort & Spa!

First of all, I would like to thank you for the time you took to write such a nice report on Trip Advisor.

We were all very pleased to welcome you all for this very special occasion and to contribute making your stay a most enjoyable experience.

I am especially glad to read that you have enjoyed our beautiful and unique gardens - I would like to share with you that our gardens are the creation of globally acclaimed land scape designer Bill Bensley who describes the results as "biologically interesting by making five distinct sub-gardens; the white garden, the heliconia garden, the red garden, the palm garden and the yellow garden”.

Once again, many thanks for your wonderful comments,

Looking forward to welcoming you in the near future,

Singapore
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Anantara Hua Hin is excellent service, good rooms, great value for money and well managed.

The first thing which is evident in this property is the smiles of the people.
I recently stayed at the property and was really pleased with the experience.

The check in was handled swiftly and efficiently. The room was spacious, well kept and smelled wonderful.

The breakfast is just heavenly!!!

Poolside is one place where we spent most of our time and was wonderful. Thank you! The pool team for looking after us and making our stay memorable.

The hotel seems full but the team never lost their smile and make our every wish come true. KUDOS

A big thank you to Mr. Barguil and his super efficient team….
You really made this trip all worth it!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thomas B, General Manager at Anantara Hua Hin Resort, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear UV,

What a great review ! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such positive comments which I have shared this morning with our wonderful team.

I am glad to read that we have contributed to make your stay an unforgettable experience and if I do recall well our conversation by the pool side it is indeed the little details and the genuine warmth of our team that make the difference.

Once again, thank you, the team and I are very much looking forward to welcoming you again in the very near future.

With warm regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a beautiful campus with marvelous gardens and coastline. The lobby and bars are extremely well designed and feels like a temple. Overall it would be a five star experience but the rooms weren't as nice as you'd expect for such a hotel. It's a bit pricey and for that you'd expect top quality throughout.

Stayed October 2013
Dear cslovell,

Warm regards from the Anantara Hua Hin!

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor.

I am very glad to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Concerning your comment about the Rom you were staying in, I am pleased to say that the few remaining rooms which had not been soft refurbished lately, will be within next year.

Once again, thank you and I am looking very much forward to welcoming you in the near future at the Anantara Hua Hin.